First Time Atheros buy....WZR-600DHP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 18:53    Post subject: First Time Atheros buy....WZR-600DHP Reply with quote
Hi guys...many of you know me from Broadcom forum...this is my first venture into the Atheros world. I purchased a Buffalo WZR-600DHP yesterday (should arrive by the end of the week)...I haven't found very much info for this unit but it is supported and in the ftp repository that BS maintains there are two files for it. One is buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-MULTI.bin and one is wzr-600dhp-dd-wrt-webupgrade-MULTI.bin

Please correct me if I am incorrect here...but it would seem that if the router comes with the User Friendly firmware (non-dd-wrt) it requires the buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-MULTI.bin file first...then the wzr-600dhp.....file second to bring it up to speed.

If the unit already has dd-wrt PRO installed then I just need to use the wzr-600dhp....file.

Is this thinking correct...there isn't a lot of information in the wiki about this unit yet.

redhawk

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Buffalo-to-ddwrt to get it off stock, after that you don't need to use the webupgrade, only to go from dd-wrt -> dd-wrt you use the webupgrade. The buffalo-to-ddwrt is the same as the webflash just has a different header so the stock firmware will accept it.

I also don't see that unit in the FTP list.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah...its a rebranded WZR-HP-AG300H unit....but BS just updated support for the unit as a 600DHP starting with build 20629. I have access to the nightly builds (currently 20640) so I'll give it a go when the unit arrives later this week. I'll likely start a wiki page with my findings.

Thanx for the information.

redhawk

Last edited by redhawk0 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 20:50; edited 1 time in total
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
With Sash's permission....here are the two WZR-600DHP files from the nightly builds....

WARNING: This is totally untested firmware so by using it you assume all the risk. We can not guarantee it will work nor that it will not brick your unit....You have been warned.

This is build 20640 from 02/05/13

redhawk

MOD Edit: You must be logged onto the forum first to see the attached files.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please post what you think about that unit redhawk, i don't have one of those but i do have the older AG300H, its fairly nice - but average radio power. i found the G300NH v1 to have the strongest radios of any units i have, thus make great repeater style units. Matter of fact its all i use for 'repeater' setups now.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I certainly will...It will be interesting to see what an Atheros unit can do....I'm so used to Broadcom (since 2006) that it will be a learning curve I would think.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hear ya redhawk, i myself was a long broadcom based unit user since around 2008 (maybe longer, but i hadn't really put it in 'hobby mode' yet to know). But in 2010 i decided to try Atheros units, i like both, but i see the broadcom arena appears to be fading more and more, so when i first noticed i went ahead and purchased an first atheros unit, i was impressed with its performance and thus purchased more.

Next unit i purchase, which may be sometime away because i am happy with the buffalo units i have now (G300NHv1 and AG300H), will most likely be either one of the newer wzr-300hp's or TP-Link WDR3600.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Shesakillatwo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am also quite interested in your experiences with this router when you get it flashed and configured. I need to get a new router and this one looks pretty cost competative!
nachorouter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
With Sash's permission....here are the two WZR-600DHP files from the nightly builds....

WARNING: This is totally untested firmware so by using it you assume all the risk. We can not guarantee it will work nor that it will not brick your unit....You have been warned.

This is build 20640 from 02/05/13

redhawk

I've tested the dd-wrt upgrade firmware, and it works great. I installed it on my WZR-600DHP, and now the Status page says that it's a "Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H". Not really worried about that.
I installed it because the Buffalo firmware wouldn't allow me to start OpenVPN because it wouldn't save the subnet mask for the VPN subnet.
muckaluck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm not seeing the wzr-600dhp file posted here on the forum. Did I miss something?

Thanks.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
muckaluck wrote:
Hi,

I'm not seeing the wzr-600dhp file posted here on the forum. Did I miss something?

Thanks.

You have to be signed onto the forum first before you can see attached files within threads. So log on first, then click to the thread link.

dA_RoB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:18    Post subject: Bridge router Reply with quote
Hi,

Will it be possible in the near future to implement the function for Bridge routing?
And how will this work with both, the 2.4 and 5GHz networks since, for bridging, the SSID should be the same for the host and the bridge router?!

Thanks!

BR
RoB
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 13:11    Post subject: Re: Bridge router Reply with quote
dA_RoB wrote:
Hi,

Will it be possible in the near future to implement the function for Bridge routing?
And how will this work with both, the 2.4 and 5GHz networks since, for bridging, the SSID should be the same for the host and the bridge router?!

Thanks!

BR
RoB

Not sure what you mean by bridge routing? If you mean being able to link units via wireless, you can already do this, albeit a little different than broadcom, but Atheros units can link wireless just fine.

dA_RoB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so i guess it's different to my cisco e2000 router where there was an explicit "router bridge" setup. I can see only the "client bridge" option, but i will investgate this further. Maybe this is the anwser to my question: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=168216

RoB
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
dA_RoB wrote:
Ok, so i guess it's different to my cisco e2000 router where there was an explicit "router bridge" setup. I can see only the "client bridge" option, but i will investgate this further. Maybe this is the anwser to my question: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=168216

RoB

The link you posted just comes back to this thread. If you are talking about repeater or repeater bridge mode, its different in atheros, you have to use client and client bridge mode and then create VAPs (virtual access points) to get the same effect. IMHO the way it works on Atheros is better and cleaner than the way it works on broadcom.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: