First Time Atheros buy....WZR-600DHP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
dpp3530
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
dpp3530 wrote:
The "firmware manual" only references PPTP, though.

I went to my local Starbucks to test my VPN config. It worked. I see why the manual omits it, though. It's only for the "User Friendly" firmware.

Linksys WRT1900AC
DD-WRT v3.0 STD
Sponsor
GrimSage
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 0:51    Post subject: WZR-HP-AG300H Reply with quote
so, i have the WZR-HP-AG300H...the press release from buffalo suggests that I can possibly flash the firmware for the WZR-600DHP on it and it will work...i have not seen a definitive answer on this...any chance you guys can enlighten me? Thanks in advance guys I appreciate all the hard work you guys do for us.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 0:58    Post subject: Re: WZR-HP-AG300H Reply with quote
GrimSage wrote:
so, i have the WZR-HP-AG300H...the press release from buffalo suggests that I can possibly flash the firmware for the WZR-600DHP on it and it will work...i have not seen a definitive answer on this...any chance you guys can enlighten me? Thanks in advance guys I appreciate all the hard work you guys do for us.

Why would you want to flash the wzr-600dhp firmware to the wzr-hp-ag300h? Why not just flash firmware meant for the wzr-hp-ag300h?

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
GrimSage
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
mostly bc buffalo's press release hinted that its was more stable and robust, if this is not the case than admittedly i dont care lol, and not that my router is really unstable either but...im ALWAYS interested in MORE stability, especially when its coupled with MORE features lol
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
GrimSage wrote:
mostly bc buffalo's press release hinted that its was more stable and robust, if this is not the case than admittedly i dont care lol, and not that my router is really unstable either but...im ALWAYS interested in MORE stability, especially when its coupled with MORE features lol

For the record, Most press releases aren't going to say "we have a new product, and it sucks" so not much to go by there..

I would say wait until a newer build specific to your unit is released, or just use community dd-wrt builds.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
GrimSage
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
lol oh i know they arent going to tell me their product sucks...however...its Buffalo, i use them exclusively for a reason Smile but ya im using the community build now, i do have to get over and see if its still the latest or not...its been a while since i checked but... lol but no it specofically said :

"The refreshed trio of AirStation HighPower wireless routers ships with an updated version of DD-WRT firmware pre-installed and Buffalo firmware is available for free from the Buffalo downloads site. These updated firmware versions, also available to select legacy models as an example of Buffalo's commitment to existing users, provide greater stability and increased performance for better overall functionality."

i wanted to see how that worked and what it actually offered
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well these are basically the same units, it may not hurt to try it because these units are very hard in general to brick, to date i been able to recover any mishaps via TFTP. But i would think it would fail because there is most likely a specific header in the firmware for each of these units. So choice is up to you whether to try or not..

GrimSage
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
ya you are probably right, just figured i would ask...i like to see what they change/fix, but tbh i put the latest community build on last night for the wzr-hp-ag300h and other than figuring out the best settings for the wireless strength its rock solid...i get less signal than i used to but the new build might handle things differently so i will read up on that a while...maybe i will email buffalo and see what they say...

also i have actually had problems, not unbricking the router per se, but even with a hardware switch in between me and the router i couldnt tftp back to the stock ddwrt firmware...the arp command only works once and then never again Sad regardless of whether i am on the Killer 2100 nic i have Or the onboard marvell nic i have lol
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
GrimSage wrote:

also i have actually had problems, not unbricking the router per se, but even with a hardware switch in between me and the router i couldnt tftp back to the stock ddwrt firmware...the arp command only works once and then never again Sad regardless of whether i am on the Killer 2100 nic i have Or the onboard marvell nic i have lol

Using WinXP?

GrimSage
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
lol no win 7 pro...legal copy, its an OEM copy for system builders but i build my own rigs and figured i didnt need retail lol
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
From what i have read about it, as i don't personally know because only windows box i have is a winxp box for router work, the procedure is different on a win 7 box as opposed to the winxp method. You would most likely need to follow this guide, but use the generic mac for the ag300h and of course the firmware images for the ag300h as well.

http://g300nh.blogspot.com/2010/06/firmware-flash-and-brick-recovery.html

GrimSage
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
oh sweet! ty i will give it a shot...again it did work the first time but after that it was a no go...and i HAD to run my command prompt window as administrator to even get that to work lol...though that really doesnt surprise me so... honestly i only wanted to set it back to stock bc i think something got stuck in the nvram after a flash and it was acting funny, and i did a full 30/30/30 as well as a factory reset from the gui, plus a telnet erase nvram reboot sequence lol
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: