WZR-HP-AG300H New Firmware (kinda)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
surroundedbytrees
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 16:57    Post subject: WZR-HP-AG300H New Firmware (kinda) Reply with quote
The Australian Buffalo site has posted a new DD-WRT firmware (build 17135) for the above router. I've opnly just installed it (I'm located in Canada). It seems to work, whether it has resolved any of the concerns/issues has yet to be determined.
Sponsor
blackomegax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
post a link, i'll test it.
surroundedbytrees
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.buffalo-asia.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?country=ar

I don't think i can post a direct link that will work.
Gingernut
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also, Buffalo AU have relesed a new version, the same base build, for the WZR-HP-G300NH2 but haven't for the WZR-HP-G300NH, which is a shame.

Can anyone tell me the differences between the WZR-HP-G300NH and the WZR-HP-G300NH2?
blackomegax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I dont hold out much hope for the txpower fiasco. but. down the rabbit hole it goes.

Version history

V24-SP2 build 17135 - Alpha

[New feature]

Improved authentication support for mobile devices.

[Bug Fix]

fix disconnect issue for Intel Wireless clients
Includes additional fix for many none critical isues.

V24-SP2 build 16783 - Alpha
First release
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gingernut wrote:
Also, Buffalo AU have relesed a new version, the same base build, for the WZR-HP-G300NH2 but haven't for the WZR-HP-G300NH, which is a shame.

Can anyone tell me the differences between the WZR-HP-G300NH and the WZR-HP-G300NH2?

Try being the rest of us, where all the other Atheros units got nothing for a month now, still on 16994, someone on Broadcom releases DAILY test builds but refuses to do the same for Atheros, go figure.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

DiSTURBED_oNE
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I want to try this out, however I am now on the community version.

I have got the WZR-HP-AG300H, does anyone know the process to revert from community build to the Buffalo Professional Build?
blackomegax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not currently. the CD will not, and there is currently no revert BIN.

maybe if you can tfp it in an unbricking process.

tatsuya46 wrote:
Gingernut wrote:

Try being the rest of us, where all the other Atheros units got nothing for a month now, still on 16994, someone on Broadcom releases DAILY test builds but refuses to do the same for Atheros, go figure.

Yeah, this is my first foray into atheros as an AP.
It's weird because they're the top of the market for chip quality and, in client drivers have been solid for as long as i've been using them. (and have supported linux for longer)
surroundedbytrees
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:39    Post subject: Revert back to User Friendly Reply with quote
Well tried the Alpha firmware. No difference from the Buffalo Shipped version. I did notice that late last night the unit seemed to loose all wifi connectivity. Surprisingly I wasn't upset or even surprised, I've resolved to myself that this unit with DD-WRT is JUNK. This morning I flashed it back to the User Friendly version. One oddity was that it didn't start up with DHCP automatically, so I had to assign a 192.168.11.x address to communicate and configure the unit.

As it stands this is the LAST Buffalo product I'll ever purchase. I'm looking at a Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M or the Nanostation 2 (it has a RP-SMA connector). Any advice would be appreciated.
Handyman007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
blackomegax wrote:

Version history

V24-SP2 build 17135 - Alpha

[New feature]

Improved authentication support for mobile devices.

Hoping this allows the mobile clients to roam without dropping connections sometimes

Quote:

[Bug Fix]

fix disconnect issue for Intel Wireless clients
Includes additional fix for many none critical isues.

Yep, some/most intel "N" clients experience intermittent problems connecting at all. Funny, they can go for days without problems, then all the sudden, they have problems and you can't connect for the life of you.

Only solution for complete reliability is to disable "N" in the intel wireless clients (or in the router itself).

I'm gonna try and find this and then do some testing with it.
KingJL
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Yep, some/most intel "N" clients experience intermittent problems connecting at all. Funny, they can go for days without problems, then all the sudden, they have problems and you can't connect for the life of you.
My issues with an intel client was solved by updating the intel drivers to the latest release (in my case for the intel 51xx) from the Intel site. The drivers on the Dell site were outdated and exhibited some of the aforementioned traits.
Ubiquiti Bullet M2, AirOS
blackomegax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Community build 17201 is out.

Stable for me.
Power still capped at 13 dbm.
U235
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
FYI, power output maximums change depending on which channel you are on. Channels 5, 6 and 7 on the WZR-HP-AG300H yield the highest dbm. I'm running 19 dbm on mine.

Please also note that the stated dbm is at the radio level and is before amplification and antennae which add significant power.

It is also average power and not peak power. The US law/FCC allows a maximum transmitted power of 30 dbm PEAK. That is roughly speaking ~20 dbm average power. Lower and higher channels are too close to the edge so they need to be throttled down to not go over the maximums allowed below 2400 MHz and above 2483 MHz. As such, center channels allow maximum power.

Again, the indicated power is far from reality on the Buffalo units, but you do need to play around a bit to find the best channel that allows for maximum power.

Finally, 40 MHz mode has higher peak swings than 20 MHz making the maximum average a little lower in 40 than in 20.
blackomegax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
which 5ghz band channels have the best yield in that regard?
It is generally what i use the most, given there are literally zero sources of interference around me on it. (except for a civilian airport, but it never seems to be a bother)
alexatkinuk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
U235 wrote:
FYI, power output maximums change depending on which channel you are on. Channels 5, 6 and 7 on the WZR-HP-AG300H yield the highest dbm. I'm running 19 dbm on mine.

Please also note that the stated dbm is at the radio level and is before amplification and antennae which add significant power.

It is also average power and not peak power. The US law/FCC allows a maximum transmitted power of 30 dbm PEAK. That is roughly speaking ~20 dbm average power. Lower and higher channels are too close to the edge so they need to be throttled down to not go over the maximums allowed below 2400 MHz and above 2483 MHz. As such, center channels allow maximum power.

Again, the indicated power is far from reality on the Buffalo units, but you do need to play around a bit to find the best channel that allows for maximum power.

Finally, 40 MHz mode has higher peak swings than 20 MHz making the maximum average a little lower in 40 than in 20.

I do not believe this is the reason why its low though.

Its already been proven the radio on the Buffalo high-power routers is designed to output 30dBm, because you can alter it. The power described on the admin pages is the maximum radio power not necessarily the current output power.

For example on my router I can issue "80211n_wlanconfig ath0 set_txpowercap MAC_ADDRESS_OF_WIFI 30" to force the radio to be able to work at maximum power. But it gets resets after so long back to the default, so you have to use cron to keep that setting active.

Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: