Asus RT-N16 stable and secure firmware options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
rotoflex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:21    Post subject: Re: OpenVPN on Asus RT-N16 Reply with quote
thracx wrote:
Anyone have OpenVPN running on their Asus RT-N16 router?

I need to replace my aging Linksys WRT610N and it seems like the RT-N16 would be a good option. Any experiences or opinions on this router's OpenVPN, USB support, UPnP, or general performance or stability would be much appreciated - thanks in advance!

I also saw a web suggestion that the RT-N16 would be ideal for DD-WRT, but I have been unable to get OpenVPN running on it after a couple of weekends of work, & today even getting a USB attached printer to function has been a failure.

Google searches keep turning up info that turns out to be outdated, or threads that end with "This is a known bug & has been registered with bugtracker". I have actually seen no mention of anyone who's actually gotten it to work, only many walls of text about how it's supposed to work.
Sponsor
wabe
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:26    Post subject: Re: OpenVPN on Asus RT-N16 Reply with quote
thracx wrote:
Anyone have OpenVPN running on their Asus RT-N16 router?

I need to replace my aging Linksys WRT610N and it seems like the RT-N16 would be a good option. Any experiences or opinions on this router's OpenVPN, USB support, UPnP, or general performance or stability would be much appreciated - thanks in advance!

I've had this router for about two years running mostly Kongs builds (currently build 22200) and OTRW2. Runs Openvpn flawlessly. I've avoided lot's of reported problems by running Openvpn from Optware instead of using the GUI in dd-wrt. Stability and performance is excellent in my opinion
sambul29
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
slobodan wrote:
If you do not want to run Optware, use the latest K3.x build, but flash before it an intermediary K3.x build as others have previously indicated. The 3.x builds default to 64 kB NVRAM, which is much better than 32 kB.
Hi, I see you have plenty of experience with this router. I looked on the web, and couldn't find clear explanation, why exactly 64kB NVRAM is better for ASUS RT-N16 than 32kB? Any examples, in what cases or usage scenarios its better, for what particular features or FW versions, and why?

slobodan wrote:
Also, if you do not need all the advanced functions of DD-WRT, Asus Merlin firmware would be a better choice.
In what sense ASUS Merlin is a better choice for this router? Faster wireless speed? Less CPU load? Lower WiFi chipset temperature? I recently bought this router, and have some issues with mounting EXT4 formatted USB Flash with DD-WRT v24-sp2 kingkong build 21661M and Samba. I can see in USB panel the thumb is automounted, but its not listed by Mount command via Telnet, and not visible in Samba Web panel. I added it manually to samba.conf, but the setting disappeared after reboot. Would Merlin be more suitable for that, or what DD-WRT version? Linux 2.6.24.111 might not fully support EXT4, but may be I can add extra modules to fix it?

slobodan wrote:
K3.x builds are slower for "downloads" compare to K2.6.

You mentioned this in another place. Did you mean writing files to attached USB drives from PC via wired LAN using Samba, or downloading torrents from WAN to an attached USB drive, or copying files on LAN via wireless? Which K3.x builds for this router are as fast when copying files to a USB thumb as K2.6 builds? I got 10MB/s via Samba on a USB 3.0 fast thumb hooked in USB 2.0 mode, but the router hanged while coping a large file. Crying or Very sad
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
sambul29 wrote:
slobodan wrote:
If you do not want to run Optware, use the latest K3.x build, but flash before it an intermediary K3.x build as others have previously indicated. The 3.x builds default to 64 kB NVRAM, which is much better than 32 kB.
Hi, I see you have plenty of experience with this router. I looked on the web, and couldn't find clear explanation, why exactly 64kB NVRAM is better for ASUS RT-N16 than 32kB? Any examples, in what cases or usage scenarios its better, for what particular features or FW versions, and why?

32 kB is very little space for the settings and you have to be careful not to surpass this limit or the router will malfunction, while 64 kB is good enough for most scenarios.
sambul29 wrote:
slobodan wrote:
Also, if you do not need all the advanced functions of DD-WRT, Asus Merlin firmware would be a better choice.
In what sense ASUS Merlin is a better choice for this router? Faster wireless speed? Less CPU load? Lower WiFi chipset temperature?

Asus Merlin gets you the advantage of CTF (i.e. very high download speed, compared to DD-WRT), but it has less advanced options than DD-WRT.
sambul29 wrote:
I recently bought this router, and have some issues with mounting EXT4 formatted USB Flash with DD-WRT v24-sp2 kingkong build 21661M and Samba. I can see in USB panel the thumb is automounted, but its not listed by Mount command via Telnet, and not visible in Samba Web panel. I added it manually to samba.conf, but the setting disappeared after reboot. Would Merlin be more suitable for that, or what DD-WRT version? Linux 2.6.24.111 might not fully support EXT4, but may be I can add extra modules to fix it?

Well, that kernel does not support ext4 at all.
sambul29 wrote:
slobodan wrote:
K3.x builds are slower for "downloads" compare to K2.6.

You mentioned this in another place. Did you mean writing files to attached USB drives from PC via wired LAN using Samba, or downloading torrents from WAN to an attached USB drive, or copying files on LAN via wireless? Which K3.x builds for this router are as fast when copying files to a USB thumb as K2.6 builds? I got 10MB/s via Samba on a USB 3.0 fast thumb hooked in USB 2.0 mode, but the router hanged while coping a large file. Crying or Very sad

I meant that I easily get 150 Mbps download speed with a Kong K26 build and less than 70-80 Mbps download speed with any K3.x build.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

sambul29
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmmm... If that kernel doesn't support EXT4, how I can see the drive mounted in USB Panel, and can even copy something to it over Samba with manual setup? Cool I found your old report about it without any devs reply, so presumed you found a solution.

Are you talking of WiFi data exchange speeds at home over LAN? I hope at least it can download large files & torrents over wired WAN (cable modem) to an attached USB thumb much faster?
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
sambul29 wrote:
Hmmm... If that kernel doesn't support EXT4, how I can see the drive mounted in USB Panel, and can even copy something to it over Samba with manual setup? Cool I found your old report about it without any devs reply, so presumed you found a solution.

Are you talking of WiFi data exchange speeds at home over LAN? I hope at least it can download large files & torrents over wired WAN (cable modem) to an attached USB thumb much faster?

That report was about build 22000 (not 22200!) and I wasn't using ext4. I don't know why it works for you, perhaps it sees it like ext3. The standard story from the developers is that the K26 DD-WRT kernel does not support ext4, you may search the forum for finding such remark. ext4 is supported in DD-WRT K3.x.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

Joe.Noob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmmm, it seems Kong is a very good build.

Sorry for interrupting, but, I had been using the 19*** build for a while and it started to get unstable so I tried some newer builds but that went wrong; went to the v24 14869 build from the main site and have been fine since... How much more potential is in the router? I have tried 1 or 2 other builds but both were horribly unreliable. The 14869 seems pretty stable.

Wireless:
N-G Mixed
40 MHz
Channel 10 (upper control)= 10+8
TX Power set to 18mW (18dB)
60~90 MBps between lan, 3~5MBps wirless -> wireless, ~6MBps wireless -> lan

For some reason I can't quite seem to grasp hold of dd-wrt files, only specific files are needed for initial flash and then any mega k26 kong build will work?

(yes, I have an Asus RT-N16)
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Builds before 14929 are not recommended, due to an exploit (patched in 14929 and later). There is also a settings way to prevent that exploit in previous builds, but better play safe.

Joe.Noob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
What about the 18024 build on the wiki page? Any good or should I go through the databases and find a kong build which I don't understand. That is what I am having trouble with, which build do I pick?

The only thing "special" about my setup is that I use my wrt54g2 (old 13*** build) as a repeater bridge to help extend my network to the far end of the house so we can stream in the garage, so not dependent on the main router really... I don't run a Guest network anymore either, had fun setting it up, but literally would count 10+ devices of neighbors (and we live out in the country!) connecting to our router (restricted to .5Mbps up and 3Mbps down)... Even without the neighbors connected just the over all performance seemed lacking with the guest properly setup. So scrapped it, and that was on the 19*** build...

Where should I go for the best Kong build?? Would like to get something a bit more up to date...
Joe.Noob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, I have done some more reading. I need to look out for nv32k builds for the N16. One question, can I just jump from my 14*** build to the kong 22200 build? Or should I go to lower build but still jump straight to it? Sorry guys, I really am a noob and not good with software really. I have learned a lot though...
Joe.Noob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got the Kong 22200 build up and running. So far its just eh. My range is shorter and the TX rate isn't stable at all. My laptop in my room used to be solid 4 bars and a steady 90 Mbps TX. Now its 3 bars jumping around to 4 and 2 bars, and speed is not stable at all, will settle on 54 Mbps for a few seconds then jump around some more...

N-G Mixed
channel Width: 40 MHz
Channel: 11+9 upper control
TX Power up to 18mW from 17mW (had to go 20+mW to get the same signal strength as 18mW in 14896)

The wireless -> wireless transfer speed is now a solid 5~6 MBps when in good range. Will have to give the new firmware time but I want to try out Asus' factory firmware as I hear it is faster than dd-wrt (shame it never gave it a chance eh?)
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, because you should not use 40 MHz bandwidth when there are other routers around using the same channels or overlapping them. See http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/31743-bye-bye-40-mhz-mode-in-24-ghz-part-1

gpzbc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I consistently get worse performance on 40 mhz, so I stick with 20 mhz.
Linksys E2500 running Tomato Firmware 1.28.0000 MIPSR2-108 K26 USB Max
Joe.Noob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got a performance gain when going to 40MHz, my neighbors down the hill are running b,g,n on channel 1 on the 2.4 GHz, and they are running N at some other channel on the 5 GHz.

I am running g,n on Channel 11 at 40Mhz upper control, so 11+9 (don't really understand the upper/lower control..)

No interference. Have to go to the other side of the house to see the uphill neighbors also running b,g,n on channel 1 @ 2.4 GHz.

I don't see any issues with interference for me...
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, maybe it sees the connected router not as a client, but as a device competing for the same channels. There are some Kong builds which do not prevent using 40 MHz bandwidth, but I don't know exactly which are they. In doubt, stick with build 14929, it is still the recommended build for most devices and it has been made without 40 MHz bandwidth limitations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: