Asus RT-N16 stable and secure firmware options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
thermal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I discovered this morning that my wireless connection was very slow. So I try to log into 192.168.1.1 from a browser on my PC which is wired to the router. Now, instead of the dd-wrt GUI, I get a "The connection has timed out; The server at 192.168.1.1 is taking too long to respond." page. I've tried power cycling the router but still have the same issue.

I've never had this happen before on my previous dd wrt firmware(SVN 14896). This has happened a few days with having the new kingkong-nv32k-broadcom installed. And I know it was working properly last night.

Can anyone help me out what might be the issue, and how to fix? Thanks.

EDIT: Did a hard reset on my modem, and now I can log into the router via 192.168.1.1, so problem resolved.

Last edited by thermal on Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:14; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
blueman2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
thermal wrote:
Hi all. I'm looking to update the DD-WRT firmware on my Asus RT-N16 router running v24-sp2 (08/07/10) mini (SVN revision 14896).

4) Something else?

I started with 14896 like you, moved to Kong 22000 (really liked it but it did not have 3TB disk support with large files), and finally moved to MERLIN. I think MERLIN is by far the best firmware for the RT-N16. Just google it.
thermal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
blueman2 wrote:
I started with 14896 like you, moved to Kong 22000 (really liked it but it did not have 3TB disk support with large files), and finally moved to MERLIN. I think MERLIN is by far the best firmware for the RT-N16. Just google it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I found the Merlin website. It seems like a nice simple firmware. I also read another person recommend it before. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have a bandwidth limiting feature like the dd-wrt firmware does.

Regarding my current router problem:
I did a 30/30/30 hard reset on my Asus RT-N16 router. I still get a timed out message when I try to log into 192.168.1.1 from a browser on my PC to access the firmware GUI. The router is broadcasting a wifi signal, and I'm able to get a wireless and wired connection. But now my settings are all back to default (from the hard reset) and I can't login to update them. Is it possible that the IP address changed from 192.168.1.1 to something else? If someone has any tips to try I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
thermal wrote:
@slobodan and madman999
kingkong-nv32k-broadcom install = Success!
Thanks to both of you for the feedback.

Oh man, I was really dreading something going wrong, and then having to deal with a bricked unit. One thing I noticed is that my power jack sometimes needs to be pressed down a bit when plugged in, in order to engage power. So I need to be extra careful moving the router or tugging on the cord. Luckily, that did not factor in during the firmware upgrade.

edit: Unfortunately, this did not fix my issue with bandwidth limit script working properly. If anyone can offer feedback on this, please reply HERE.

if the connection to your power supply isn;t solid, it suggest that either your power brick is not reliable of perhaps the power connector on the motherboard of the router is broken loose and needs to be resoldered. of course any flakiness with the power situation could cause a bad flash.

also there is a possibility of a faulty capacitor in that area. check the device specific thread for details.

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
milanolarry
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="TCB13"]The fact that Asus RT-N16 has a 32k NVRAM on 22000M is annoying. I don't have enough space to store my VPN keys.[/quote]

After flashing 22000M, use telnet /ssh and the following scripts to clean up the rubbish in NVRAM first.

nvram show | grep =$ | wc -l
for line in `nvram show | grep =$ `; do var=${line%*=}; nvram unset $var; done

You will find that there is enough space to run more than one VPNs in your RT-N16. I am running 1 PPTP VPN and 2 OpenVPN tunnels in my RT-N16 (one ssl cert and one static key).
Duna
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kong firmware was working ok untill i think last 2 or maybe 3 weeks. I again have a big huge lags in game/stream videos.

I have no idea what to do with it? Any suggestions? Some options to make it more stable? Restore to Factory? Any new firmwares? Maybe i better change router to something more stable?
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Duna wrote:
Kong firmware was working ok untill i think last 2 or maybe 3 weeks. I again have a big huge lags in game/stream videos.

I have no idea what to do with it? Any suggestions? Some options to make it more stable? Restore to Factory? Any new firmwares? Maybe i better change router to something more stable?

If you download faster than 150 Mbps then the router is much too busy. Try setting the congestion control to highspeed and rebooting the router. If you want the router be very responsive, keep the download speed below 40 Mbps or something like that. And disable QoS.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

vintage
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:02    Post subject: heads up on performance Reply with quote
Been running tomato very happily for over a year. Rock solid. I have a 100Mbps service from my provider and have no trouble streaming full speed to the wired ethernet ports (usually over 90Mbps).

Needed VPN and thought I'd try dd-wrt.

First I tried the wiki's suggestion: dd-wrt.v24-18024_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin
It all looked great... but then I did a speed test and it was horrible. About 50Mbps.

So then I figured I'd try a more recent build as suggested above: 24461_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-RT-N16.trx
Again, all looked great. Performance was somewhat improved, but still stuck: about 65 Mbps.

So I went back to tomato and found their old VPN build:
tomato-K26USB-1.28.9054MIPSR2-beta-vpn3.6.trx

And lo and behold I was back to 90+ Mbps on the wired ports. And over 70Mbps over the wifi!

So heads up, the function may be good on dd-wrt, but be sure to test your throughput.

C
SoreThumb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey,

Posting here, but briefly. The DD-WRT forum ate my reply. Whatever.

I haven't had any happiness running DD-WRT on my ASUS-RTN16.

The version in the wiki is *way* too old,
The "mega" I found from about 2011 would misconstrue what hardware it was running on, and reset to a LINKSYS router--quality dropped steadily until I rebooted. (It was barely tolerable.)
Upgrading to a 3.X version using the instructions in this post (not sure if I used the KONG version) resulted in my ASUS-RTN16 having massive throughput loss. TCP/IP connections would be "Assured", but then end up "Unreplied" and hanging. We couldn't use any video in the house. Neutral

Vintage suggested Tomato--and I'm so glad they just posted this two days ago. I'm using it now, and I'm beyond impressed.
Chrysalis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys, seems the kingkong builds are no longer on that website, anywhere else to get them? likewise the fractal builds ftp server times out.
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe the last Kong build for this router is

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/K26/r22000++/

it;s only a 2.6 kernel but pretty stable. I have it on mine's because I am running OTRW2 and I am only using the router as a wired ap.

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
kevinkeane
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
thermal wrote:
I discovered this morning that my wireless connection was very slow. So I try to log into 192.168.1.1 from a browser on my PC which is wired to the router. Now, instead of the dd-wrt GUI, I get a "The connection has timed out; The server at 192.168.1.1 is taking too long to respond." page. I've tried power cycling the router but still have the same issue.

I see that you already resolved the issue for you.

For those who may have found this through Google: another possible reason, if you are using https, is that all current Web browsers disable support for SSL 3.0, but DD-WRT does not support TLS. To get back into DD-WRT, you either have to use http (since SSL 3.0 is insecure, http doesn't really hurt your security much anyway), or you (highly discouraged!) have to re-enable SSL 3.0 in Internet Explorer or Firefox.
t3kg33k
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
SoreThumb wrote:
Hey,

Posting here, but briefly. The DD-WRT forum ate my reply. Whatever.

I haven't had any happiness running DD-WRT on my ASUS-RTN16.

The version in the wiki is *way* too old,
The "mega" I found from about 2011 would misconstrue what hardware it was running on, and reset to a LINKSYS router--quality dropped steadily until I rebooted. (It was barely tolerable.)
Upgrading to a 3.X version using the instructions in this post (not sure if I used the KONG version) resulted in my ASUS-RTN16 having massive throughput loss. TCP/IP connections would be "Assured", but then end up "Unreplied" and hanging. We couldn't use any video in the house. Neutral

Vintage suggested Tomato--and I'm so glad they just posted this two days ago. I'm using it now, and I'm beyond impressed.

Do you know if I can go directly from the base DD-WRT install (DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mini) to Tomato?
Also, is there any issue with just staying with the base DD-WRT install?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: