Overclocks to 233 Mhz "with Heatsink"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
AARRGGHHH
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:04    Post subject: Overclocks to 233 Mhz "with Heatsink" Reply with quote
I'm a little confused on this one... Where would I get a heatsink for the WHR-HP-G54, and how do I manage to attach it to the CPU without breaking the unit?

Thanks
Sponsor
kikiconnected
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its easy....i used some old motherboard coprocessor alu cooler which is tiny enough and fixed it with patex hot pistol on the sides....Dont forget to put some cpu thermal grease between them Smile
Cricri
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Or get some expoxy thermal compound:
http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/other_misc/Artic%20Silver%20Adhesive/artic%20silver.html

To do stuff like that, I use some thermal tape myself, a bit like that:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/akshintherin.html

But you should be able to go to 233MHz without heatsink.
MichelG
DD-WRT Guru

Location: Galati - RO / Kishinev - MD / Geneva - CH / Tarragona - E

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:04    Post subject: Overcloking Reply with quote
Just for your info, if you have a V2 hardware, you wont be able to overclock it. The WHR-HP-G54 will hang at the reboot. The only way to resolve the issue is to proceed with a long reset procedure.

SAVE YOUR SETTINGS before overclocking.
anectine17
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Agreed that the HP v.2 won't overclock......yet. However, they do tend to run warm even without overclocking, and it won't hurt a thing to cool it down a bit. This video card cooler from Performance-PCs.com fits perfectly and moves quite a bit of air.....silently. It's a 12 volt fan, so running it at 5.5 volts has it at about half speed which seems to be perfect for this application. I've attached the sink to the chip using Arctic Silver Epoxy (it's permanent), but you can just as easily use a good two-sided thermal tape to attach it as well. Just another in my list of mods.

hpcool.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  149.97 KB
 Viewed:  8977 Time(s)

hpcool.jpg

Linksys E2000 w/15200 "Big"
Linksys WRT54G v.4
La Fonera 2100, fan-cooled
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

Peacock Thread - READ THOROUGHLY
AARRGGHHH
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks very much for the replies. BTW, Nice Mod. Exclamation

I am a little confused about two things:

What is "V2 hardware"?

Anectine17, what exactly did you mod? That looks too big to be the WHR-HP-G54, and the color of the unit looks wrong (at least compared to what I saw).
Thanks
ro-maniak
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
O yeah, remember about this. Good that it comes to my attention again, before I start any overclocking project on mine... :D

Guess this should be updates in the wiki.

AARRGGHHH, this means that Buffalo made a new hardware revision of the router, V(ersion)2, which does not overclock even 1 mhz. It's speed seems to be locked somehow. Trying to overclock gives the result described above.

How to check the version? I do not know yet, maybe someone can shed some light. Surely not through software, my guess would be open the router up and look for some white letters printed somewhere on the circuit board.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
AARRGGHHH wrote:

What is "V2 hardware"?

Anectine17, what exactly did you mod? That looks too big to be the WHR-HP-G54, and the color of the unit looks wrong (at least compared to what I saw).
Thanks

That's definitly a WHR, and since there's no RF cage, it's definitly the HP. But Anectine probably spray painted the case red :p I can also see the SD card mod up there.

The non-HP version does not overclock either, so maybe v2 bears some resemblances with non-HP Question
anectine17
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
AARRGGHHH wrote:

What is "V2 hardware"?

Thanks

Uhhh....not sure what you're asking. You can't see what I've modded? I've added an SD card, as well as the round copper heat sink with fan, and a small heat sink on the flash chip.

Not sure where you're getting your size reference, but it's definitely a WHR-HP-G54...and I've painted the case with Krylon Fusion spray paint which is designed just for plastic. Perhaps seeing it parked next to my Linksys WRT54GS v.2 will put things in perspective.

HP.WRT.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.77 KB
 Viewed:  8770 Time(s)

HP.WRT.JPG

Linksys E2000 w/15200 "Big"
Linksys WRT54G v.4
La Fonera 2100, fan-cooled
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

Peacock Thread - READ THOROUGHLY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: