Help With Radio Time Restrictions [SOLVED]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
ICUDude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 18:31    Post subject: Help With Radio Time Restrictions [SOLVED] Reply with quote
Hi thanks for reading this.

DD-WRT working great on this old router for over a year now. Recently In the GUI I set up and enabled the Radio Time Restrictions feature and re booted the router (WRT160N). It does not appear to work, all of our devices can still connect (or are still connected) and use the wireless during the hours it is supposed to be off. Did I miss another setting or step that I was supposed to change or do? Or maybe it does not work with my configuration?

Also I am unsure if this feature actually shuts the radio off (which is what I'd like) or if it just hides the SSID or something.

Thanks again,

I have a DSL modem in bridge mode (OV804WVA), running to a Ubiquity ER-X router. I have an old WRT160N in bridge mode plugged into the edgerouter operating as a switch to provide more jacks in that area and also to supply wireless because the ER-X does not. I have generic DD-WRT V3.0-r40189 mini installed on the WRT160N.
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure what you mean with bridge mode (wireless repeater bridge, WAP?)

But usually bridge mode means it is not passing the Firewall and thus it will not work.

If otherwise you have to disable SFE.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are talking about Radio Time Restrictions configured at Wireless->Basic Settings
as seen in ss below
I believe the answer is yes it does turn the radio off as you would like.

When set to disable at hour 19 as shown my log reports:
Code:
Jan 25 19:00:27 7802 user.debug : Turning radio 1 off

SSID disappeared and my connection was terminated.

I do not have a Broadcom router currently operating to test on and maybe your Bridge Mode?? disables this.

If you are referring to Access Restrictions found at .../Filters.asp then please disregard.

radio-time-restrictions.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.45 KB
 Viewed:  3334 Time(s)

radio-time-restrictions.jpeg

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad + Blocklist Collection
ICUDude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the responses. Yes I am talking about the Radio Time Restriction as pictured in the post above. Thanks for testing the radio is actually off for me.

I have it set but it does not seem to work. As far as my set up goes the Edgerouter I use does not have Wifi capability. Instead of buying another device I followed a guide on how to use an old router as a wifi access point.

I'm not nearly as savy as you guys here but this is how I set up the WRT160N. Line out from the edgerouter goes into the WRT160N on Ethernet 1 (the Internet port stays empty) Other devices can be hardwired into Ethernet 2, 3 and 4 Like a switch. DHCP Server is disabled. I changed the IP address so I can access both the router and this old router with different IPs. Then I just set up the Wifi. Hope that helps.

So maybe because it is not running as a router the radio restriction feature doesn't work?

Thanks again
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tested both radios on R6200v2 BDCM r45036 running as Wlan Repeater.
Both radios off and back on at specified times as configured.

Possibility exists this feature is not enabled on your small flash size device.

I would see if a newer build changes anything.
ICUDude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok thanks again for testing. I thought it might come to that. Next weekend I will install the latest build and see if anything changes and report back.

Should I install a different version than mini maybe like standard do you think?

Thanks,
Decibel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
ICUDude wrote:
Ok thanks again for testing. I thought it might come to that. Next weekend I will install the latest build and see if anything changes and report back.

Should I install a different version than mini maybe like standard do you think?

Thanks,

I don't know anything about whether your specific router can support a standard build or not, but I do know that I tried using a mini build on an old router, and a bunch of features just didn't work... Until I upgraded to the mega size, and everything was good again.
ICUDude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll have to look but I'm pretty sure mega won't fit (that's what she said). It does list Mini Micro and standard, so I'll try standard and see what happens. thanks
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
You do have to be careful how large a firmware image you flash to this router (mega cannot be flashed due to 4MB flash limitation per wiki):

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT150N_%26_WRT160N

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ICUDude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:58    Post subject: New versions Reply with quote
Hi, I went to look up an upgrade option to see if it will fix the issue. I can find newer versions in the "Factory to DDWRT new install" versions but I went through the database and can not find any webflash versions to upgrade DDWRT with.

If I just follow the new install procedure will that work ok, or will I screw it up?

I was using mini /mini generic and I found a newer slightly larger mini /std generic that is still below max memory space. Hopefully it will get my radio time restriction working.

Thanks
ICUDude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 16:22    Post subject: Radio Time Restrictions not working Reply with quote
So I figured out the upgrade and installed the newest stable version. I also went from the mini generic to the mini std because it was slightly bigger so I thought it may have more function. It is up and running well (again as a switch).

BUT, unfortunately the radio time restriction feature does not work. I can set it but it does not disable the radio or block new connections. I really wish I could get this to work.

I guess the mini shows the feature but does not actually have it? I can't go larger because I only have 4mb to flash.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
If your settings cross noon or midnight, you have to have more than one time block setup, last I knew.

----------------------
ICUDude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have only tried setting my preferred schedule which is 11pm to 8am off. You are suggesting I split this up somehow? Thanks for the response. I will also test it with just one hour restricted to see if it works.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
If your settings cross noon or midnight, you have to have more than one time block setup, last I knew.

I believe you are talking about Access Restrictions (.../Filters.asp).

@ICUDude is talking about .../Wireless_Basic.asp->Radio Time Restrictions->Radio Scheduling

He just wants to turn the damn radio off and back on.

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad + Blocklist Collection
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't see the time restrictions under Wireless Basic settings on MIPS (E4200v1), which is what his router is (MIPS). That is likely ARM only...

----------------------
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: