E3000 2.4ghz 802.11n very slow, low link speeds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
delticus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:15    Post subject: E3000 2.4ghz 802.11n very slow, low link speeds Reply with quote
Hi guys,

A few days ago, I finally installed dd-wrt on my E3000 router. I downloaded the dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_usb_ftp-e3000.bin rom and followed the instructions on the wiki to the part where it told me that flashing another build was optional (part 12). I figured that it would be fine as long as it was stable. After installing it, though my network's theoretical and actual speeds on my 2.4ghz 802.11n wireless has been really slow. At the moment, the router says the rate is 26Mbps. In order to speed this up, I've tried to remove devices that cause interference, moved the router from metal objects, and also moved it away from walls. This didn't really help, and I have so far experimented by setting the channel width to 40mhz only, and also 20mhz only, while tinkering around with free channels that my neighbors haven't been using.

This has not really made much of a difference, and my actual speeds are still very low. Even while sitting less than 5 feet from the router and being connected to the network wirelessly gives me a ~23Mbps connection. I've also tried with multiple machines, and the results have been similar. Currently, I have the 2.4ghz network set to N-only and channel width set to 20mhz and changed Beacon Interval to 75, DTIM interval to 1, Fragmentation threshold to 2304 and RTS Threshold to 2304 (as per another thread's suggestion) and also my TX power is currently at 63mW. The TX power was at 20 earlier, but that didn't seem to make any difference in terms of speed.

I am completely out of ideas, short of trying to install a new dd-wrt build and hoping for the best. Does anyone have any idea what I should do?

Thanks in advance,
-Delticus
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Made sure to hard reset after flashing? Making sure to use WPA2 with AES only as wireless security? Also making sure to use the possible cleanest channel around you?

These are tidbits of info that you aren't mentioning here..

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
delticus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Made sure to hard reset after flashing? Making sure to use WPA2 with AES only as wireless security? Also making sure to use the possible cleanest channel around you?

These are tidbits of info that you aren't mentioning here..

Yep, I made sure to do the hard resets both times (before and after flashing) and also waited the specified times. I also have the wireless security as WPA2 AES only, and I've been using the channel that other networks aren't using too. Have not been able to get any better speeds.

Thanks again,
-Delticus
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its not so much a matter of using a channel that someone else isn't using, you could be using one free and have someone close to you using and it overlap your selection - this will effect performance.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
delticus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
oh..I used a wifi scanner and looked that way to see where everyone else's networks were. is there a better way to find a free channel?

Thanks again
-Delticus
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
how does your site survey look now, and what channel are you using, some pic would be of much help.

delticus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I took a screenshot for the site survey window on dd-wrt (http://i.imgur.com/Bm3oBaW.png) but it's missing two or so networks that show up sometimes. There is one on ch9 and another one on ch11. Currently, I've set the channel on mine to 4, but I've also tried 2,3 and 10 once too.

Thanks
-Delticus
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
in this, i would use channel 1 or 11 @ an ht20 setting.

delticus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
in this, i would use channel 1 or 11 @ an ht20 setting.

Tried both channels, and the speeds don't seem to be getting any better, even though ch1 results in slightly better speeds than ch11. (at 20MHz).

Thanks,
-Delticus
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well from what i see in the pic is main problem being that you have quite a few wireless neighbor's fairly close to you, some even very close, how does chanl 8 do?

delticus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Well from what i see in the pic is main problem being that you have quite a few wireless neighbor's fairly close to you, some even very close, how does chanl 8 do?

Seems like channel 8 does around as well as ch1, speed-wise. Would it be a better idea for me to just switch the wireless adapters to 5GHz?

Thanks again for your help,
-Delticus
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Of course 5Ghz is much less crowded, but doesn't have much range either, and especially on the E3000, so yes i would use 5Ghz for connections close to the AP, but you'll most likely need to use 2.4Ghz for devices that are somewhat distanced from the AP.

delticus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Of course 5Ghz is much less crowded, but doesn't have much range either, and especially on the E3000, so yes i would use 5Ghz for connections close to the AP, but you'll most likely need to use 2.4Ghz for devices that are somewhat distanced from the AP.

Hey buddee, how far would the range of the 5GHz wireless be?

Thanks again
-Delticus
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmm, that's not an easy answer, for me, i can use it around 2 average bedrooms away, not something i can really put a set number on..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: