WDS more than 10 Devices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
onlytests
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 20:50    Post subject: WDS more than 10 Devices Reply with quote
Hello,

I have more than 10 linksys WRT54GL, and i need to insert all mac in the table WDS in the master router (WRT54GL), but only permit 10 entries.

Any solution by command line, or other protocol for all acts as AP?

Thanks
Regards!
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
You only put in the ones you need that unit to connect to. Not all 10.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
onlytests
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
You only put in the ones you need that unit to connect to. Not all 10.

I have a central AP, and this one needs more thant 10 devices in WDS. Want to connect all routers by WDS to one AP.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
No it's not possible and it doesn't sound like a very good idea either. AP's should be spread out reasonably, don't carpet bomb an area with too many.

Last edited by phuzi0n on Wed Jan 30, 2013 17:43; edited 1 time in total
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you need to setup a network with more than 10 WDS nodes then you'll need something better than a simple consumer grade router.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
If you need to setup a network with more than 10 WDS nodes then you'll need something better than a simple consumer grade router.

Actually a well designed 10 node WDS network is possible with his routers. Just not the way he wants it done, that's just a poor design. IMHO, of course.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Every house have a Linksys WRT54GL, using WDS to provide access point to laptops and ethernet cable for Desktop PC.

The WDS is limited to 10 Devices on DDWRT firmware, if you have some tips, or configuration for better performance it's welcomed.

What is the best design, your sugestion?

Thanks Smile
Malitiacurt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
So there's a central location where 2.4 Ghz is strong enough for one router to reach over 10 houses.

And then you want people inside those houses with laptops, smartphones/tablets, and other wifi devices to operate on the same channel as the central router providing the internet for all these houses, since you're using WDS.

That's going to be a serious amount of noise/congestion.

Unless your design goal is to provide a dial-up internet experience during busy hours, you need to re-think your deployment.

Depending on your budget and range covered, you could use dual-band routers where you provide internet access using the 5Ghz and have each home's router be their own AP on the 2.4Ghz.

~Edit: Oh and lets not forget that a microwave turned on will likely knock out internet for most of the block.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: