Port forwarding doesn't seem to work right.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
phrostbyte
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:37    Post subject: Port forwarding doesn't seem to work right. Reply with quote
I used to have some crappy 54mpbps router and port forwarding wasn't working on there.. I would try different combinations of port forwarding/dmz/upnp whatever and nothing would would when I check my ports on this site:

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

I figured maybe the router was the problem so I bought this guy TP-Link TL-WR841ND v8 and put dd-wrt on it. Now I'm trying to forward all my ports 6000-7000 and I enabled it in port range forwarding. Now the website only says port 6881 is open and no other ones between 6000-7000. I'm doing this for gaming.. I set Static DNS to always give my laptop a certain IP (192.168.1.50)... what am I doing wrong?
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Port testing programs needs a response from the computer you have forwarded the port to so the program/game you run on the laptop obviously responds on port 6881 only.

Read the port forwarding section in the ddwrt wiki.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
So the program has to open the port for a port checker to say the port is open? I thought forwarding the ports makes them always open.
Shryp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Forwarding the ports in the router tells the router to send all traffic on those ports to your laptop.

If your laptop does not respond back the check comes back as stealthed. If your laptop has nothing running on those ports it responds back that it is currently closed. If the laptop has a program running on that port it accepts the connection and the checker says it is open.

Port 6881 responded back because you have a torrent client running on there.
Shryp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Forwarding the ports in the router tells the router to send all traffic on those ports to your laptop.

If your laptop does not respond back the check comes back as stealthed. If your laptop has nothing running on those ports it responds back that it is currently closed. If the laptop has a program running on that port it accepts the connection and the checker says it is open.

Port 6881 responded back because you have a torrent client running on there.
phrostbyte
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
i understand now, thanks for the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: