Asus RT-N53

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
sanekm2010
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 16:24    Post subject: Does all business goes bad Reply with quote
I`ve tried to flash dd-wrt for this router in may this year, after buying it.
But I also have a troubles, and router even become a brick, the 30-30-30 rule was not working, and I tried all interfaces and buttons in different conditions to revive it.

Now it runs on a default Asus firmware, and as I can see - nothing was change for n53 in dd-wrt firmware?

Can you advice please: is it better to leave it in peace (or buy another one Asus for dd-wrt which will 100% supported by it) and do not try extra firmwares on this shitty router?
Sponsor
botva
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:07    Post subject: Re: Does all business goes bad Reply with quote
sanekm2010 wrote:
is it better to leave it in peace (or buy another one Asus for dd-wrt which will 100% supported by it) and do not try extra firmwares on this shitty router?

it's working perfect with last black-ui firmware.
so, if you don't need some special functions, it's better to use firmware from asus. you can download it from asus website

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:34    Post subject: Newer RT-N53 "A1" reports different boardrev Reply with quote
For those struggling to install DD-WRT or Tomato on an RT-N53 that you bought in 2013 (or after), listen-up. I may save you some pain that I experienced the hard way.

My symptoms were: no matter which version of DD-WRT I installed, and any build of Tomato (other than Shibby 114+ which was just released today), the router fails to boot. Then it was nearly impossible to get the Asus recovery tool to recognize the router to restore the stock firmware. When I finally did get it to take the stock firmware again, it booted up.

The problem is that Asus silently released a new revision of the RT-N53, called an RT-N53 A1, that reports itself differently. I cannot see any indication on the box or the router itself that it's an "A1". DD-WRT and Tomato don't recognize the new Board Revision (boardrev = 0x1446) reported by this newer model, and so they fail to boot.

Go and get Shibby's build for this router, 114 or after:

http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-N/build5x-114-EN/Asus%20RT-Nxx/tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-114-RT-N53.trx

This version introduces recognition for the RT-N53 A1. You may need to use my "brick recovery process" below to install it because I'm not sure that the Asus Recovery tool will install Shibby's Tomato build. If someone has a simpler "Windows Friendly" way to flash the initial Tomato to this router, feel free to post your experience.

Use LAN port 2 or 3 to flash it and get started because this router suffers from the "Invert Ports Order" problem. Once you're in Tomato you can go to Basic->Network settings and select the "Invert Ports Order" box to get the ports to operate as identified.

If you router appears to be bricked from attempting an install of DD-WRT or earlier Tomato version and the Asus Recovery tool won't see the router no matter how hard you try - so long as the power LED is flashing you can likely get it back.

Plug the router into an Ubuntu Linux machine (perhaps you can find a bootable CD online with just enough to get this done), download a Shibby Tomato build 114 or after using a wireless connection or another machine and pop it on a USB stick, set the IP address for the wired LAN port to 192.168.1.20, get the router into Recovery mode, open a terminal window and do

tftp
connect 192.168.1.1
binary
put [path_and_name_of_firmware_file.trx]

You have to do this within about a minute or so or the router will spontaneously jump out of recovery mode and you have to start again.

Wait a while (about 2 minutes) after tftp finishes sending the file. Power cycle the router. It should boot up.

Good luck to you all. I hope this saves someone some headache.
sanekm2010
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:39    Post subject: Re: Does all business goes bad Reply with quote
botva wrote:

it's working perfect with last black-ui firmware.
so, if you don't need some special functions, it's better to use firmware from asus. you can download it from asus website

What do you mean when saying about "black-ui firmware" - is it something new from custom firmwares?
Can you advice please?
messerchmidt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
revision a1 is not supported, only the older ones
botva
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:36    Post subject: Re: Does all business goes bad Reply with quote
sanekm2010 wrote:
What do you mean when saying about "black-ui firmware" - is it something new from custom firmwares?
Can you advice please?

new revisions already coming with black interface firmware (version 3.x). so, if you have the new one, you can use it without flashing.
old revisions of n53 has white interface firmware (versions 2.x), in this case i advice to flash to new version.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought this router today and was planning to use it to bond two gigabit lines and connect trough openVPN. Will this be possible? Which version would I need??
Rolling Eyes
nookiexxxl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, guys! I'm want to install DD-WRT in my ASUS RT-N53 but found just Tomato Firmware and it's not working. After selecting a file in the 'Administry' I'm pushing the button, but.. But my browser warns me about problems with a image or connection. I'm sure everything allright, but not working.
I'm using this little manual - http://aquainferno.empowernetwork.com/blog/tomato-firmware-on-the-asus-rt-n53
This man has successfully installed Tomato Firmware on his router.
One more thing - I'm want to use Chilli spot and not sure in right choise of firmeware. Like I said early - I can't find another firmeware on my RT-N53 Sad
Please, help me!
mikesal57
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Most likely we have A1 hardware , which there is no DD WRT support.
The Tomato Firmware that will work is version #114 and higher for A1. The latest is #121.
I'm assuming that the NO-USB is for this model
http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-N/build5x-121-EN/Asus%20RT-Nxx/
Asus has their firmware ,last updated on Feb 2014.
Its no frills but it has what I needed , Repeater Mode to connect my Slingbox wirelessly to internet. 5G works.

I did not try the Tomato , maybe one day Smile

GL
Mike
mikesal57
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Notes on this router:

...Cant do 30-30-30 reset...hitting the reset button puts router in recovery mode

... Holding the WPS button while powering on resets the router

... Asus firmwares are compressed...need to un-zip
andyhwc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I purchased a RT-N53 in beginning of January 2013. Could it be A1? Does it has fully function DD-WRT or Tomato ROM, can someone tell me where to get the correct firmware for the N53? thanks
mikesal57
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
andyhwc wrote:
I purchased a RT-N53 in beginning of January 2013. Could it be A1? Does it has fully function DD-WRT or Tomato ROM, can someone tell me where to get the correct firmware for the N53? thanks

Only support is Tomato...go get non-usb version 121 max and give it a try in my prior post
mikesal57
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK...I was curious to see if Tomato worked...it did!!

With nookiexxxl's link to article and this guide from YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvmAJn1UIME
I got Tomato on my rt-n53.

need to get into recovery mode & clear nvram and upload firmware...

Difficult part was trying to set up repeater..
Being a long time DD WRT user , I was looking for place to enter host ip number..you dont need it!!

Just changed routers IP and set 2.4 radio to wireless client
and set 5g radio to AP

Set wpa security on both..

No half bandwidth with this set-up
DONE!!

Good luck

Mike
andyhwc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks everyone. I will give it a try next week.

btw, once I flashed the N53 to Tomato, how do flash it back to stock Asus? Do I simply use the web console to reflash with Asus firmware? thanks
Disastrousity
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
andyhwc wrote:
thanks everyone. I will give it a try next week.

btw, once I flashed the N53 to Tomato, how do flash it back to stock Asus? Do I simply use the web console to reflash with Asus firmware? thanks

Yup, but Tomato on the N53 is MUCH better than Stock. At least Shibby-Tomato is.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: