SSH Port Forwarding to a DD-WRT SSH Server slow

TomClancy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 22:01    Post subject: SSH Port Forwarding to a DD-WRT SSH Server slow Reply with quote
It is me or is there an issue with SSH speeds when connecting directly to a DD-WRT SSH server, compared to when connecting to a PC SSH server?

I have two DD-WRT routers, WRT610N and WZR-600DHP.

When I setup SSH on either one of them and start to forward traffic from my work PC, I get really slow speeds compared to when I forward the traffic to my PC.

Both PC and DD-WRT use the same settings; AES-128 encryption, public-key with no compression.
WRT610N is running at 300Mhz and WZR-600DHP is running at 680Mhz, and none of them have maxed out CPUs when traffic is being forwarded.
While the PC is running Win8 with Athlon 64 X2 5600+.

See pictures below for speeds.
Sponsor
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
AES encryption requires processing power, this could be the cause of the lower speed. For the PC it is easy to do it, but for the router it is a heavy task.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

TomClancy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know man. Like I said, the routers run at different speeds. One is at 300Mhz and the other is at 600Mhz. None of the CUPs are max out when SSH is in use, and still getting similar speeds.

I can probably setup a Pentium 600Mhz PC and still get better speeds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: