Buffalo WBR2-G54S ( Problem solved all's well again )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
West
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 13:11    Post subject: Buffalo WBR2-G54S ( Problem solved all's well again ) Reply with quote
First post. I bought the router to use DD-WRT but am not able to either find the correct file or load it.
I downloaded dd-wrt v23 sp1 mini version, but the router rejected it.
Please let me know which file I need and any special steps I need to prepare the router for this firmware.
Thanks for the help.

btw, I am using ddwrt on my Linksys wrt54G router successfully, but the Buffalo has so far stumped me.

Last edited by West on Mon Jul 02, 2007 21:10; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
get latest generic sp3 or v24. It has better support for wbr2. Then get ddadder http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12166 to add buffalo header. Then you can use GUI to upgrade.

Or you can tftp generic.bin at boot.
West
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the quick response.
I have downloaded ddadder (have no idea how to use it) and can't find v24 of dd-wrt
Obviously I have a lot to learn and would appreciate it if you could direct me to a site where I could get detailed step by step instructions on how to use ddadder and properly flash my buffalo router.
I assume that I need to restore the router to factory default settings before I try anything. Is that correct?
Thanks again, in advance.
bluecaterpillar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would it be obtuse of me to add a "me too"? Same sitch, except I have a WBR-G54. Command-line stuff scares me a little.
bluecaterpillar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 17:27    Post subject: halfway there... Reply with quote
Ok, this is what I did:

1) downloaded ddadder02.zip from http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12166
2) unzipped it to c:\ddadder
3) put dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin in c:\ddadder
4) opened up a command line and entered

Code:
C:\DADDER>ddadder dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin wbr-g54

the program output a file called dd-buffalo-wbr-g54.bin to the same folder

5) uploaded that file using the web GUI
6) did a hard reset
7) yay! now when I open up 192.168.1.1 I get the DD-WRT control panel! except it won't accept any of my previous passwords, hmm....

For you, the code should be

Code:
C:\DADDER>ddadder dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin wbr2-g54s

good luck!
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 17:47    Post subject: Re: halfway there... Reply with quote
bluecaterpillar wrote:

7) yay! now when I open up 192.168.1.1 I get the DD-WRT control panel! except it won't accept any of my previous passwords, hmm....

Press reset button until red diag led goes on. router will reboot and restore fac.def.
West
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh man, I gotta be a dummy.
Tried all that (I think) but screwed up somewhere. It didn't take.
Gotta have a go at it again Sunday morning.
Must have missed a step somewhere along the line.

I wouldn't mind detailed instructions on the tftp route.
thanks.
Ubu
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 16:03    Post subject: Re: halfway there... Reply with quote
bluecaterpillar wrote:

try
User = root
Password = admin
West
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I kept trying the above methods and all I got was "dadder is not a recognized command"
So I gave up on that route and went the tftp route. After several false starts, it finally said, transfer successful. I was elated - UNTIL I tried to access the router.
I couldn't pull an IP so I gave it a static IP in the 192.168.1.xx range. No luck.
I kept getting a 169 IP.
I did several hard resets on the router, to no avail.
The lights all come on properly. I turned on my wireless adapter and it actually saw my old SSID, but couldn't connect of course.
Right now, I own a brick and am an unhappy camper.
I am connected directly to the modem now.

Any bright suggestions on where I go now.
Ubu
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
West wrote:
I kept trying the above methods and all I got was "dadder is not a recognized command"
So I gave up on that route and went the tftp route. After several false starts, it finally said, transfer successful. I was elated - UNTIL I tried to access the router.
I couldn't pull an IP so I gave it a static IP in the 192.168.1.xx range. No luck.
I kept getting a 169 IP.
I did several hard resets on the router, to no avail.
The lights all come on properly. I turned on my wireless adapter and it actually saw my old SSID, but couldn't connect of course.
Right now, I own a brick and am an unhappy camper.
I am connected directly to the modem now.

Any bright suggestions on where I go now.

What exactly did you do to assign a static address and what were you trying to set the static address on?

If you were trying to assign a static address on the computer accessing the router then you did something wrong. A 169 IP indicates that the computer failed to get an address by DHCP (something it wouldn’t be doing if it was set to a static address).

If you were trying to assign a static address on the router, how could you if you can’t connect to it?

Try this post for instructions for a easier way to tftp to the router.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14443
West
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I set up a static IP on the computer 192.168.11.5, as the Buffalo router's default IP is 192.168.11.1, set subnet at 255.255.255.0 and left gateway blank. It was the computer I set to a static IP - NOT the router. As you say I can't access the router anymore.

I ran the tftp -i 192.168.11.1 PUT dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin from a C:\ prompt. Three times it actually said transfer successful along with some numbers.
I then changed the computer to a dynamic IP (removed all check marks) and tried to ping the router. No luck. It was at that point that I pulled the 169 addresss. Once I actually received a "hardware error" message while attempting to ping the router on 192.168.1.1 which it would be if the transfer worked.
When I enable my wireless adapter I can see my old SSID but can't connect to it either.
It now appears that I may have bricked my router. I have tried several hard resets to no avail.

Tis no fun when you screw up.
West
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your link for the tftp.exe utility would have been great before I did it my way. Right now it won't work as it can't connect to the server (router).
Thanks anyway.

Right now I need directions on how to unbrick my router if that's at all possible
Sad
West
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey, I got lucky (or smart???)
I flashed the DD-WRT firmware by tftp from a command prompt perhaps 10 times. I got a couple of 'hardware error" messages, several "timeout" messages and finallly a "transfer successful"

I was surprised to see the IP of the router (gateway) remained at 192.168.11.1, thinking the new firmwware would change it to 192.168.1.1

Before flashing, I did change my computer to a static IP of 192.168.11.5.

All's well, my Buffalo router now proudly sprouts DD-WRT and the wireless signal has increased substantially.
Thanks to those who offered advice. I am now a happy camper again.
Laughing Razz
silverbullet1013
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
>>7) yay! now when I open up 192.168.1.1 I get the DD-WRT control panel! except it >>won't accept any of my previous passwords, hmm....

>>Press reset button until red diag led goes on. router will reboot and restore fac.def.

>>I have try this
user:root
pass:admin

still not logginh me in, please help. I cannot configure security on my router.

Thanks in advance.
platypus3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:37    Post subject: WBR2-G54S - bricked properly Reply with quote
Has anyone got a means of erasing flash on these routers.

Mine boots with the DIAG and AOSS lights on solid, lan lights all come up and that power stays. It looks like it functions as a LAN Switch.

I have tried various means of TFTPing and holding the INIT button down for 30seconds after powering on.

I've tried other "incantations" but no luck.

Can flash shorting pins trick be done on this one? (like the ASUS routers)

Any help appreciated.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: