How I Got the Asus RT-N66u to load and Finaly work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eliteink, where are you located? Would you like someone to try? If you pay for shipping both ways I can try. I wouldn't need any if the accessories.
I'm in Ohio.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Exact steps I followed:
  1. Started "ping -t 192.168.1.1" in cmd window to confirm connection.
  2. Confirmed 1.0.1.2 CFE with lastest asuswrt-merlin web status.
  3. Restarted router in ASUS web recovery by holding WPS for 10 sec, release WPS, hold Reset for 3 sec.
  4. Flashed stock ASUS FW_RT_N66U_3004374979.trx, set up web config, & enabled telnet.
  5. Updated to 1.0.1.3 CFE via telnet (symbol errors initially reported).
  6. Rebooted via telnet, logged back in via telnet and confirmed CFE was 1.0.1.3.
  7. Via telnet: cleared nvram and rebooted.
  8. Restarted router again in ASUS web recovery by holding WPS for 10 sec, release WPS, hold Reset for 3 sec.
  9. Flashed dd-wrt.v24-23204_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx. Did not manually reset.
  10. Positive Ethernet ping responses to 192.168.1.1. Pointed web browser at 192.168.1.1, which showed login username/password reset page. Entered dd-wrt and Router Model was correctly listed as Asus RT-N66U.
  11. 30/30/30 reset to make sure firmware stuck. Router successfully restarted to the login user/pw reset.

I'm going to flash a .bin file today, but otherwise the router has been working fine via wires (wifi disabled for temporary security).

eliteink wrote:
...I then tried to restore using restoration utility (router in rescue mode) to k3 big build.

Did you use the executable utility tool or the web recovery? I thought I read somewhere to only use stock firmwares with the utility tool. I always use the web recovery, which has worked with all .trx files.

eliteink wrote:
Wrooster, did your router ever restart on it's own. Can you tell me for sure if you used the K26 build or the K3 build for the router?

After flashing dd-wrt.v24-23204_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx the web page stated router will restart and offered the "continue" link. It did restart on it's own and my pings were working in the background (for the first time ever).
abeg0346
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
wifiphantom wrote:
What's the difference between big and mega? More options?

There is:

dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx

and

dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U.trx

BigWhoop wrote:
you can see the differents here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F#K2.6_Build_Features

Is that information current? I first installed big which had the DLNA server option available under the NAS sub-tab but SSH disabled.

When I installed mega, the opposite was true. SSH was available but DLNA was missing and I've been struggling to find a decent guide to manually installing DLNA.
mr_laptanovi4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 15:51    Post subject: Successful firmware update to dd-wrt on Asus rt-n66u Reply with quote
HEllO! This is my first post, writing it in hope that it will help somebody to flash Asus rt-n66u with 32mb of ram in dd-wrt firmware.
Got this router new, with H/W ver B1, and with task to load dd-wrt firmware here.
After smoking all that topic: https://dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=153609&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90
i decide to begin.
Here the my long way of doing it:
1. Set up mi NIC to static IP settings: 192.168.1.12, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.1.1
2. Turned off Windows Firewall and Antivirus, turn off wireless connection.
3. Plug in router, check that it booting into standard web-Gui(all work with GUI i made in IE)
4. Reboot with cleaning NVRAM(it's only needed to hold wps button while powering on, and hold wps for at least 10 sec.)
5. Than i try to flash dd-wrt firmware K.3.x mega-Rt-n66U.trx(ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2014/06-23-2014-r24461/broadcom_K3X/) using standard web-gui and...
...nothing
After loading and flashing finished, router ask me to reboot manually, and it stuck on rebooting(there were no wi-fi lights flashing, only cycle of "power&wlan port" and "all lights at same second")
I'm re-read fully topic about updating firmware on rt-n66U (url in the beginning), and found that its possible to set up router to recovery mode with this config. of buttons pressed: wps while adding power on, hold wps for 10sec, release wps and press reset button till the power light become blink very-very slowly(all lights should blink double while holding reset).
Now U should get Cfe miniweb server page on 192.168.1.1, asking to choose firmware file.
I choose official latest firmware for that router, downloaded from http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U/HelpDesk_Download/
When choosing Upload page should renew showing .....156 bytes loaded
Router should restart in a few moments(or smth with same meaning)
But this FEW moments could easily turn into 45-60 minutes(if U trying to flash from working device using recovery mode it should take less, like 15 min)
After all that manipulations, 3 cups of coffee, U'll get working router!
Some time after i use same method(recovery mode)to flash oldest version of dd-wrt firmware(it was taken from same ftp, but from 2013 yr folder in BrainSlayer fold.), cause newest one from 2014 stucks on rebooting each time.
Hope it'll be helpful for you![/url]
alixjg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:48    Post subject: Boot Loop Reply with quote
I am also having issues with flashing newer versions to my RT-N66R. It seems to get stuck in a boot loop until I go into recovery mode and put an older version back on. Does anyone know what the newest most stable build is?
sbss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found a link to a guide that shows installations dd-wrt on RT-N66U:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjMvYvPobsA
ziggysdomain
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm really stuck, so any help greatly appreciated. I followed the http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U#K3.X_Builds tutorial for the Asus RT-N66U and got as far as flashing the trx file via the Asus firmware utility. After this the unit is largely stuck in recovery mode. I noticed afterwards that the tutorial mentions that the trx file is a 'mini' version, whereas I had flashed the 'big'. I was wondering was this the problem, but since the tutorial links the mini version to be used and it's a 'K2' build, while elsewhere in the text pointing out that K2 builds are no longer required to identify the CFE version as K3 builds have resolved the underlying issue, I'm left thinking this cant be the problem. I have tried reflashing the router with the the original Asus firmware, which appears to work according to the Asus utility, but after a significant wait all I can get is the webgui on 192.168.1.1 for reflashing/upgrading the unit or resetting the nvram or rebooting.
I have read on this and other fora that there is a a common problem with the unit going into repeat recovery mode, but nothing I've tried so far has helped fix the issue. Any ideas? Thanks folks.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try using the Asus restoration tool with Asus firmware. It can take hours to recover.
Then only only use the k3.x build with the ft-n66 name in the file.

Having a serial cable hooked up would be good, so you could monitor what is going on.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the swift reply. I'll give that a go and report back. Currently finding it hard to get it into rescue mode - cant access via webgui or Firmware Restoration utility - but will keep trying.
ziggysdomain
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
P.S. re file name, do you mean e.g. 'dd-wrt.v24-29607_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx' (from a Sept 2016 build) that matches the router?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Correct.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Malachi. Eventually accessed the router via the firmware update utility and have flashed the unit with the original Asus firmware. Waited and waited after the process had finished in the utility, went away, had dinner, and 5 hours later still no webgui available on 192.168.1.1. Interestingly I can ping it on 192.168.1.12. + telnet but port 23 not open / available (should I be trying another port?). Have performed the erase nvram procedure with the wps button and now awaiting a result from that. As it's late I'll check in the morning and report back. Btw, don't know the serial cable procedure. Looks like I might need to consider that. If I'm managing to ping the device, perhaps there's another way in to restore firmware?

💤
ziggysdomain
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
No joy unfortunately. Despite waiting all night, no webgui available on 192.168.1.1 tho, as I've said before, I can ping the router on 192.168.1.12 as per the instructions for setting a static ip in this thread. I have tried clearing the nvram again, and switching the router on and off but nothing works. The unit appears to be in permanent rescue mode - the power led blinks slowly and the only other lit led is the plugged in ethernet. Just tried uploading the Asus firmware again with the Asus utility and went thru the same process. Same result. Once more, really grateful for any help.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you want to pay two way shipping I can try with my serial cable.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's a very kind offer. I will take you up on that offer if all else fails. Many thanks.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: