native IPv6 in DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
whoami
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:09    Post subject: native IPv6 in DD-WRT Reply with quote
why is it so shitly implemented in DD-WRT? i have a native IPv6 connection and i had to go through sleepless nights of google searches and stuggles to get IPv6 working on my router.

• enabling IPv6 support in the web UI doesn't actually enable it - what! had to put insmod ipv6 into the startup script.
  • enabling radvd doesn't really enable it - duh, had to put radvd -C /tmp/radvd.conf start (yeah, thanks god it saves the config though)
  • despite the fact that i have ipv6 addresses and ipv6 gateway address set up, after a reboot of the router ipv6 stops working. i mean my computers can get the addresses and stuff, but data won't go to and from the internet. i don't know what the problem was, but removing and then adding ipv6 gateway again worked out. weird, isn't it?
    so here's what i finally ended up with in my startup script:
    Code:
    insmod ipv6
    ip -6 addr add 2a00:e78:xxxx::1/64 dev br0
    ip -6 addr add 2a00:e78:1:xxxx/64 dev eth1
    ip -6 route add 2a00::/3 via 2a00:e78:1:xxxx::1 dev eth1 metric 1
    radvd -C /tmp/radvd.conf start
    sleep 5
    ip -6 route del 2a00::/3

br0 is LAN interface, eth1 is WAN interface
    after all this, my ipv6 connection works even after router reboot.

so, DD-WRT developers, please do something about it.
Sponsor
saudiqbal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
do I have to paste this code in Radvd config?
mine is still not working or do I have to restart my computer.
bmccoy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:57    Post subject: Re: native IPv6 in DD-WRT Reply with quote
whoami wrote:
why is it so shitly implemented in DD-WRT? i have a native IPv6 connection and i had to go through sleepless nights of google searches and stuggles to get IPv6 working on my router.

• enabling IPv6 support in the web UI doesn't actually enable it - what! had to put insmod ipv6 into the startup script.
  • enabling radvd doesn't really enable it - duh, had to put radvd -C /tmp/radvd.conf start (yeah, thanks god it saves the config though)
  • despite the fact that i have ipv6 addresses and ipv6 gateway address set up, after a reboot of the router ipv6 stops working. i mean my computers can get the addresses and stuff, but data won't go to and from the internet. i don't know what the problem was, but removing and then adding ipv6 gateway again worked out. weird, isn't it?
    so here's what i finally ended up with in my startup script:
    Code:
    insmod ipv6
    ip -6 addr add 2a00:e78:xxxx::1/64 dev br0
    ip -6 addr add 2a00:e78:1:xxxx/64 dev eth1
    radvd -C /tmp/radvd.conf start
    sleep 5
    ip -6 route del 2a00::/3

br0 is LAN interface, eth1 is WAN interface
    after all this, my ipv6 connection works even after router reboot.

so, DD-WRT developers, please do something about it.

4 years later, and nothing has changed. Something better needs to be implemented, as almost all other third-party router firmware has better IPv6 support than DD-WRT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: