D-Link DIR-615 D5 (Firmware: 1.01VG)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
rikkib
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:41    Post subject: D-Link DIR-615 D5 (Firmware: 1.01VG) Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions.

1. Is there any information you need about this router with the hardware version D5 that I may be able to provide you to help it get supported?

2. Is the D5 hardware version completely incompatible for some reason or has it just not been looked into?

3. As there is currently no support for this hardware revision, is there a way for me to update to the generic firmware on the D-Link website? This router was provided by Virgin Media and is locked to thier firmware (1.01VG) does anyone know of a way for me to flash the updated firmware from the D-Link website? Maybe by hex editing the image file or burning a new board ID? This is the lastest version on thier website ftp://ftp.dlink.eu/Products/dir/dir-615/driver_software/DIR_615_fw_revd_414WWb02_ALL_en_20130430_instructions.zip which is dated 2013 while mine is dated 2011. If I try to update to this version of the firmware using the web admin panel I get an error along the lines of "This is not a valid firmware image".

I would appriciate some answers to these questions,

Thanks a lot,

rikkib
Sponsor
sr20
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 15:07    Post subject: D5 DD-WRT Reply with quote
Hi. Your question interested me and I had a spare 615 D4 lying around.

I used redboot mode to go from dd-wrt to 1.00VG, then used the web GUI on that to upgrade to the d-link firmware you attached previously.

Have you tried using the VM GUI to flash the "dlink-dir615d-factory-webflash.bin" from the D4 section of the 615 FW downloads?

And just to ask a silly question, you are pointing the FW update GUI to the actual .bin saved on your desktop right? Not the RAR or something crazy like that..

I think it'll work fine. If it bricks it, i'll give you the 1.00VG firmware to go back to using redboot mode.

EDIT: Ok I can see the Ralink RT3352F SoC used in the D5 will be a problem. I will install a Linux VM when I have time and maybe mess with the matrix directly Smile

Until then:

Extract "DIR615D3_FW414WWb02.bin" from the attachment in your original post onto you desktop.

Hold the reset button in on the router with a matchstick (not the red end :->) etc. Plug the DC jack in while still holding the reset button in. Keep holding it in for 20s.

Release the reset button. The power light on your router should be flashing. Make sure your NIC is connected to the router with one of the ethernet ports. Set NIC IPv4 properties to use IP 192.168.0.2, default GW 192.168.0.1.

Open a browser and go to 192.168.0.1 .You may have to wait a while. You should see a page to browse to and upload firmware. Browse to "DIR615D3_FW414WWb02.bin" on your desktop and click "upload now". Wait. Wait some more. Set NIC IP back to auto for everything.

Browse to 192.168.0.1 and enjoy the D-Link 4.14 FW.

SR20
rikkib
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:15    Post subject: No recovery mode Reply with quote
Thanks for the response, sorry for the delay.

Unfortunatly there is no recovery mode on the D5 version from what I have read somewhere in dd-wrt documentation. I have attempted to get it to go into recovery mode using the steps you outlined (as I did before) and still no reaction from the router, it just boots up again normally.

Yes I'm pointing to the .bin file and not the zip Very Happy

I have read reports that the D5 version will be bricked when flashing with the "dlink-dir615d-factory-webflash.bin"

As I read that they successfully flashed dd-wrt, but then it would fail to boot, but seeing as they were able to flash it in the first place tells me there must be a way to modify this D-Link firmware to match the signature of the Virgin firmware so that I can flash it.

Any solutions you can find from your messing around would be great, thanks for taking the time to look.
zionptm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:13    Post subject: DIR-615 H/W Rev. D5 Reply with quote
Any updates for DD-WRT on Revision D5?

I tried to flash the dlink-dir615d-factory-webflash.bin firmware, but the router is stuck in a reboot loop.

When I plug the router to the power line, the power led is green for a few seconds, then is orange and reboots after 10 seconds. Bricked, IMHO Sad
f8n1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same here! I have a D-Link DIR-615 H/W version D5. Tried to flash using dlink-dir615d-factory-webflash.bin firmware, but now my router is stuck in a reboot loop. Can't restore factory settings, holding the reset button down 10-20 seconds, since the router reboots automatically exactly every 10 seconds.

Anyone have the original factory firmware 1.01VG (or 1.00VG I guess)? I would appreciate a copy since D-link doesn't yet have support for H/W version D5 on their web site.

Not even sure if I can restore the factory image since the router nor reboots every 10 seconds. But I'll give it a try. Any ideas in this area would be appreciated. Thanks!
zionptm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Better return it to warranty. The router is bricked and can't be restored to factory defaults.

I did the same with mine, returned it to warranty and got my money back.

I bought a Linksys E900 which works flawlessly!

f8n1 wrote:
Same here! I have a D-Link DIR-615 H/W version D5. Tried to flash using dlink-dir615d-factory-webflash.bin firmware, but now my router is stuck in a reboot loop. Can't restore factory settings, holding the reset button down 10-20 seconds, since the router reboots automatically exactly every 10 seconds.

Anyone have the original factory firmware 1.01VG (or 1.00VG I guess)? I would appreciate a copy since D-link doesn't yet have support for H/W version D5 on their web site.

Not even sure if I can restore the factory image since the router nor reboots every 10 seconds. But I'll give it a try. Any ideas in this area would be appreciated. Thanks!
f8n1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
zionptm wrote:
Better return it to warranty. The router is bricked and can't be restored to factory defaults.

Thanks for your input! Guess I'll have to do that with this particular unit...

Although, I have previously upgraded about 7 or 8 other D-Link DIR-615 units, using various versions of DD-WRT depending on H/W version.

All units have been working for months and months without any reboots necessary. Very stable units and extremely affordable.

This was the first time I received a unit with H/W version D5. I knew there would be a risk and I lost. Oh well. Not like $28 for a new unit is the end of the world at this point. Wink
zionptm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think D5 is the worst revision for DIR-615.
Try to tell everyone who wants to buy DIR-615 NOT to buy with this H/W rev.!

I also have a DIR-615 with H/W rev. H1 and it worked with DD-WRT. D5 doesn't.

f8n1 wrote:
zionptm wrote:

Thanks for your input! Guess I'll have to do that with this particular unit...

Although, I have previously upgraded about 7 or 8 other D-Link DIR-615 units, using various versions of DD-WRT depending on H/W version.

All units have been working for months and months without any reboots necessary. Very stable units and extremely affordable.

This was the first time I received a unit with H/W version D5. I knew there would be a risk and I lost. Oh well. Not like $28 for a new unit is the end of the world at this point. Wink
freebul
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone have success with the installation of DD-WRT on DIR-615 rev.D5 ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: