Netgear R6300 - Solid Amber Light After Upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
acruns
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 16:20    Post subject: Netgear R6300 - Solid Amber Light After Upgrade Reply with quote
Greetings,

I was trying to upgrade my R6300 yesterday using DD-WRT and now I have a solid amber power light on the front. I can get ttl=100 for about 4-6 replies after either holding down the reset and using the power cord or button to turn it back on but my attempts to tftp have failed. I have tried by cmd line and using tftp2, and even a few other GUI apps, and went as far as to build a batch file that kicks off the ping, waits for a reply and then tries to tftp the firmware but it didn't work either. I am at a loss on what to do. I haven't been able to determine what a solid amber light means, no flashing just solid, followed by brief flashing of the internet light right after I apply power, but based on what I read I am assuming I must have put the wrong build on. Any help is greatly appreciated. Below is the details of my debacle.

Router make model and version: Netgear R6300 v1
Firmware: OEM Firmware -->dd-wrt.v24-K3_R6300.chk -->dd-wrt.v24-K3_NetgearAC.bin (build 21958 7/2/13) Here is the path http://desipro.de/ddwrt/Extras/Netgear/
Micro, mini, big, std or mega:Not sure, big or mega, it is 16MB.
K26 or K24: K3
Newd, Vint or NEWD2 - Not sure?

I have a Cisco DPC 3010 cable modem, it connects to the Netgear R6300, which has a USB drive, two wired connections and several wireless. I also have a Netgear WNDR3400 that bridges to it for my Roku and HTPC downstairs, they are wired only, no wireless clients.

Thanks again.
Sponsor
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 22:14    Post subject: Re: Netgear R6300 - Solid Amber Light After Upgrade Reply with quote
acruns wrote:
Greetings,

Router make model and version: Netgear R6300 v1
Firmware: OEM Firmware -->dd-wrt.v24-K3_R6300.chk -->dd-wrt.v24-K3_NetgearAC.bin (build 21958 7/2/13) Here is the path http://desipro.de/ddwrt/Extras/Netgear/
Micro, mini, big, std or mega:Not sure, big or mega, it is 16MB.
K26 or K24: K3
Newd, Vint or NEWD2 - Not sure?

No this is exactly the right build and since you already had the chk running it was working fine. In case of the r6300 it is exactly the same file as the bin, you will see this if you look at the size. For some models e.g. WNDR4500V1 the chk is a stripped down build, because oem does not allow the bigger build to be flashed.

If it is broken now then there are two causes, either the file was not transfered correctly or the write process hit a bad block. I have flashed my unit about 50 times and I have seen the nand problem once.

Unfortunately the CFE of the R6300 does not have some automatic tftpd start. So ping will do nothing and you cannot start tftpd by pressing buttons like it is possible on the asus.

For the R6300 I don't know any other way right now to debrick, but using a usb-ttl adapter e.g.: FTDI TTL-232R-3V3

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply.

Can you tell me if this is the correct cable? From what I read it seems to be but I don't want to screw this up even more.

http://www.amazon.com/3-3v-Header-like-FTDI-TTL-232R-3V3/dp/B004LBXO2A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1372895632&sr=1-1&keywords=FTDI+TTL-232R-3V3
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's an FTDI clone cable and should work fine.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Proteus7
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I have the exact same problem. Tried to unbrick using the cable above. No issues connecting via serial, I can see the router boot. After many attempts at ctrl-c (constantly rebooting and hitting ctrl-c), I can actually get to a CFE> prompt, but can't do anything after that. Anything I type on the screen is junk characters. I can't run tftpd or similar, because it simply doesn't show up on screen. Help!! I've tried using hyperterminal, teraterm, and putty, all at 8N1, with both VT100 and ANSI terminal emulation. Again, I can see the thing boot just fine, can (after many attempts) get to a CFE> prompt, but can't get beyond that.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Proteus7 wrote:
Ok, I have the exact same problem. Tried to unbrick using the cable above. No issues connecting via serial, I can see the router boot. After many attempts at ctrl-c (constantly rebooting and hitting ctrl-c), I can actually get to a CFE> prompt, but can't do anything after that. Anything I type on the screen is junk characters. I can't run tftpd or similar, because it simply doesn't show up on screen. Help!! I've tried using hyperterminal, teraterm, and putty, all at 8N1, with both VT100 and ANSI terminal emulation. Again, I can see the thing boot just fine, can (after many attempts) get to a CFE> prompt, but can't get beyond that.

Did you set Flow Control / Parity to None?

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was able to successfully rescue my router with this cable. I didn't have the issues you are describing after connecting however.
panaitepaul
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know it's an old post but I hope to get an answer.
You can post step by step instructions for unbrick this router including serial pinout of serial port of motherboard of the router?
Thank in advance for your help.
Mexflubber
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
acruns wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

Can you tell me if this is the correct cable? From what I read it seems to be but I don't want to screw this up even more.

http://www.amazon.com/3-3v-Header-like-FTDI-TTL-232R-3V3/dp/B004LBXO2A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1372895632&sr=1-1&keywords=FTDI+TTL-232R-3V3

acruns wrote:
I was able to successfully rescue my router with this cable. I didn't have the issues you are describing after connecting however.

Hi all,

I bought the exact same cable as suggested here. But my Netgear serial port has 4 pins. Cable has 6. How do I connect to the router ? I have no idea how to plug the cable into the router.

Also, I'm trying to follow this guide: http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/how-debrick-or-recover-netgear-r7000-r6300v2-or-r6250-wi-fi-routers

Router's serial port:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wnvfsxh8brym5qy/IMG_8502.JPG?dl=0

Cable:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pcbneqqgfojnto2/IMG_8501.JPG?dl=0
Wildwild
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
HELP! Netgear R6300v1 bricked???

I have the same problem (solid amber light) after flashing dd-wrt.v24-30082_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-R6300.chk through the weg GUI.

I tried the USB to serial connection to the J252 port (115.2K,N,1) but only got garbage characters from the router and could not get to the CFE prompt.

I'm getting 4-5 successful pings every now and then and could not TFPT or TFPT2 to flash it Sad

HELP Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Wildwild
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all,
I'm using this PL2303HX USB To RS232 TTL Auto Converter but I'm getting garbage back (not readable text) at 115K,8,0 parity,1 stopbit,no flow control) in Hypterm running in Windows 7.

Is it not the right adapter or do I need to get an adapter with an FTDI FT232QR chip?

s-l500.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.3 KB
 Viewed:  13160 Time(s)

s-l500.jpg

merrow75
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildwild wrote:
Hi all,
I'm using this PL2303HX USB To RS232 TTL Auto Converter but I'm getting garbage back (not readable text) at 115K,8,0 parity,1 stopbit,no flow control) in Hypterm running in Windows 7.

Is it not the right adapter?

Hi there.

The speed should be 115200.

Remember to connect the connections as follows:

rx on 6300 to tx on adapter
tx on 6300 to rx on adapter
gnd on 6300 to gnd on adapter

As a test, connect the rx and tx together on the adapter and type something in putty / terminal. You should see the keys you have typed.

Thank you.
Wildwild
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, already tried that.

I have two USB to serial converters (both have PL2303 chipsets). The standard USB to RS-232 got garbage, the USB to TTL got nothing back. They both worked in the looped back configuration. I was using Hyperterm from Windows XP under Win 7 PC.
merrow75
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildwild wrote:
Yes, already tried that.

I have two USB to serial converters (both have PL2303 chipsets). The standard USB to RS-232 got garbage, the USB to TTL got nothing back. They both worked in the looped back configuration. I was using Hyperterm from Windows XP under Win 7 PC.

I have a USB to TTL adapter using the same chipset.

Just to confirm, are you connecting the connections as follows?

J252
(3.3) (TxD) (...) (...) (RxD) (GND)
Pin1 Pin2 Pin3 Pin4 Pin5 Pin6
Wildwild
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I had it right before but I will try again. I should only need to connect pin 2(Tx)and pin 6(GND)to receive chars from the router but nothing came back from it. The Rx LED on the converter flashed for short time but nothing displayed on the Hyperterm. What terminal software did you use in Windows 7?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: