Change factory defaults into firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
astifr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 15:20    Post subject: Change factory defaults into firmware Reply with quote
Hi all!

First of all, I'm looking for several hours how to do this but I don't found something that match that I want.
Probably because I'm not native english and don't use correct keywords...

I have a house in the mountain and so many time that I arrive, when I plug the router, this starts with factory default config.

I am using dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin firmware in a WRT54GL, I don't need any special feature, only AP mode and DHCP passthrough, so after read some post I think that mini firmware is enought for me.

So, I am looking a solution that even when my router restart with factory defualts always start with my own config and I learn that the only solution is modify the firmware.

I download mini firmware and using FMK I have the firmware extracted.
But, now I don't know how to modify factory default config to change LAN IP address, SSID and a few parameters more.

Somebody can give me some light?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english Wink
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any changes that you make to the router, and apply, will still be there when you restart. Do a proper HARD reset and configure the router, hitting APPLY to write the changes.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
astifr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your answer Murrkf.

That is not the problem, because not always the router reset to factory defaults after a power cycle. Only some times and always hit apply after changes.

I am sure that is a problem with my router that reset to factory defaults randomly, but that is not important for me if I am able to change factory defaults into firmware.

The problem is when my family go to the house and I am not there and the router is to factory defaults. Because that I would like to change factory defaults.

Regards.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
The three reasons that a router will revert back to factory defaults from saved and APPLYed settings are:

1. Heat
2. Improper power supply
3. Full nvram. You can check for full nvram with the test mentioned in the peacock announcement, but a HARD reset will empty most of the nvram memory.

You can save a backup of your settings and restore them if you lose the settings:

ADMINISTRATION:Backup

Firmware modification of default settings is beyond what I can assist with. Someone else might be able to guide you but that seems the much harder road than a nvram backup.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
astifr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you Murrkf,

I will test with mini and cheking nvram.

Regards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: