Asus RT-N10p

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
OHSrob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 23:46    Post subject: Asus RT-N10p Reply with quote
Hello

I just wanted to post this to inform people trying to use the Asus RT-N10p with dd-wrt.

it is not listed as officially supported but it does work just fine.

Using kernel 2.6/build 21676 of dd-wrt for the Asus RT-N12 will boot and load. All the drivers seem to work.

I know this router has a newer SOC then the RT-N12 but it seems to work without any driver issues.

There is however one issue. Port 4 and the WAN port are swapped. Other then that I have had a trouble free experience so far.

I have encountered this on a few Asus routers before. To fix this you can normally just swap it in the vlan managment.

But with this router changing the vlans does not seem to work.

Attached is the build I have used without issues. Hopefully dd-wrt can list official support for this router.

dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12C1.trx
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12C1.trx
 Filesize:  3.39 MB
 Downloaded:  5821 Time(s)

Sponsor
MoFoQ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting.

What method did you use to upload it?

I just gave both the web interface and the miniCFE recovery mode a try and it didn't seem to work.
(and there's no tftp....kinda sad about that Sad )
NFSP G35
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I created an account just to follow up on this Smile

I got it to work via:

Screwing around trying to TFTP, etc... got it to the point of showing a Broadcom Mini Webpage for uploading a new firmware (still not sure how I got here, sorry)

Couldn't get it to do much, and it was doing a sort-of boot-loop Sad

I found some instructions for a different ASUS router online and followed these steps:

Set Computer's IP Static to 192.168.1.15
Power Down
Hold Reset Button
Connect Power (I just used the power button)
Keep Holding Reset Button Until the WPS light (in my case it was the power light, not WPS) blinks on-and-off slowly
The router is now in recovery mode
TFTP the image to 192.168.1.1

In my case, TFTP didn't work, but it did get to the mini uploader when I hit 192.168.1.1 on my browser, so I used that to upload the image I downloaded from OP in this thread... and... rebooted to DD-WRT! w00000000t!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Again, I'm a little fuzzy on the steps ( kinda panaced when I thought I bricked it Embarassed ) but it is certainly possible, and if someone is careful and takes a little time out, they could probably come up with a exact procedure.
MoFoQ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought I bricked it also.

But as it turns out, using the "WPS" (reset config/nvram) method helps.

I also found that it has a serial pins.
It's labelled J4, not to far from the Broadcom chip.
There are 4 holes; the hole closest to the label is TX, next is RX, then GND, and finally Vcc (which I didn't connect to using my FTDI module).
Note, solder needs to be removed from the holes.
A desoldering pump kinda worked...but a desoldering wick was easier.

Also, it is 3.3v signal.

For mine, I made a permanent "jack" on the outside that goes to the right holes so all I have to do is connect my FTDI (3.3v) module and I'm good.

I'll post pictures later.
scottchiefbaker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 20:58    Post subject: I think it worked? Reply with quote
I just picked this router up off a Newegg sale for $19. I was able to flash it using the recovery method/web interface instructions above. It appears to have worked, but when I try and login I get a user/pass prompt and none of the known defaults work.

If I cancel the login I get a salmon colored generic background. Is that DD-WRT or something else?
scottchiefbaker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 21:48    Post subject: Nevermind Reply with quote
I put the router back in recovery mode and reflashed it again and it worked fine. I think the problem was that I used port #4 for the flashing, and that's not a good idea.

Here are the instructions I followed:

#1) Set Computer's IP Static to 192.168.1.15
#2) Power Down router
#3) Hold Reset Button while powering up
#4) Power on router
#5) Hold Reset Button until the Power light blinks on-and-off slowly
#6) The router is now in recovery mode
#7) Open 192.168.1.1 in your browser
#8) Upload firmware OP posted above

Upgrade took about 60 seconds and it then asked me to reboot. Rebooted in to DD-WRT and asked me to setup a password. Not bad for a cheap router!
halk8888
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I want to confirm that I also flashed DDWRT successfully using above instructions.

hope the Devs see this thread and make a Big version for the ASUS RT-N10P
ebeighe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 20:42    Post subject: recovery mode / miniWeb Reply with quote
I, too, was able to load up the firmware in this post using "recovery mode" (Dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12C1.trx). Thanks!

1) i always wonder if there is other/newer firmware versions; but I can't even understand where the version that is in this post comes from. Where would i look?

2) I am curious to see that now I can't get back into recovery mode (i.e. holding down reset button at power on). The device pings with ttl=100 and the power light does the slow flash as expected; but no dice with opening the CFE miniWeb page at 192.168.1.1 (times out). I have also loaded Tomato, in case that's a clue. I can now use dd-wrt's (or tomato's) web-gui function to load tomato (or dd-wrt), so i suppose i don't need to get to recovery... it just bugs me that i can't.
I *can* get into recovery when the device powers on normally, but only for a few seconds, and then it's gone.
[EDIT: well i reloaded a couple more times and now i can access recovery mode just fine. So i guess it was just a fluke]

The tomato version was tomato-K26-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-115-Max.trx, in case anybody's interested -- it appears to work fine.
omegakalel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was able to install the posted firmware with the above instructions. Everything appears to work fine and am able to log into the router.

Only problem is it doesn't connect to the internet when attached to my modem. It connected with the ASUS firmware no problems and my other dd-wrt router works no problems.

Any suggestions? Settings to change? Load a follow up firmware?
halk8888
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 15:42    Post subject: Re: recovery mode / miniWeb Reply with quote
ebeighe wrote:
!

1) i always wonder if there is other/newer firmware versions; but I can't even understand where the version that is in this post comes from. Where would i look?

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/

look under broadcom_K26
halk8888
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
The new build r23082 for RT-N12C1 doesnt seem to work for the Asus RT-N10P.

Anyone else?
maverick915
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
omegakalel wrote:
I was able to install the posted firmware with the above instructions. Everything appears to work fine and am able to log into the router.

Only problem is it doesn't connect to the internet when attached to my modem. It connected with the ASUS firmware no problems and my other dd-wrt router works no problems.

Any suggestions? Settings to change? Load a follow up firmware?

I'm having the same problem. Original Asus firmware worked fine and dd-wrt seems ok, but cannot get an IP from the WAN connection. I tried putting the WAN cable in the WAN port, LAN port 4, LAN port 1 (closest to the WAN). None seemed to work.
maverick915
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 23:59    Post subject: Revert to ASUS firmware Reply with quote
I was able revert to the ASUS firmware directly from the dd-wrt menu and it worked like a charm.

YMMV, but it worked fine for me.
bigbird090
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was able to install the firmware without a problem, taking into account that the WAN needed to be connected to port 4 to have an internet connection.

My original purpose of installing DD-WRT was to install Private Internet Access VPN on the system. It seems this VPN provider only supports DD-WRT Mega, Big, or standard++ versions. The version mentioned in this post is the mini version.

Does anyone know which Mega, Big, or standard++ version would work with this router?

Thanks,
DocLexus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great info in this thread! Special thanks to the OP (OHSrob) for posting the initial discovery of DD-WRT compatibile firmware for the RT-N10P.

I've been able to get mine working w/ a DD-WRT version that's roughly equivalent to DD-WRT "big" or DD-WRT "mega," and I've also managed to fix the WAN PORT / LAN PORT 4 issue. Will post details about both of those in follow-up posts.

In the meantime, here are some interesting observations I made about this router:

1) This is the first router I've ever come across that seems to be UNBRICKABLE. No matter what firmware version I throw at it, be it K26, K3.x, "big," "mega," "std," "openvpn," "mini" (and their nv60K/nv64K variants), even if a particular firmware update fails to load (or loads but fails to boot), I've thus far been able to successfully perform the "reset button" power-on procedure EVERY TIME the router seemed bricked (booting it back into the Recovery Mode Web Interface, where I could then start the process all over again). At this point I've easily tried at least 30 different firmware versions/styles on this router and even managed to "load" various DD-WRT K3.x versions onto it. Only ONCE, however, was I actually able to pull up the DD-WRT Web GUI under K3.x, but the interface and router anyway behaved very flaky. Upon rebooting the router, I was unable to get back in to the Web GUI (under K3.x) and have been unable to reproduce the condition which let me in, in the first place.

2) When loading the initial firmware from the OP (a DD-WRT build 21676 "Broadcom_K26" series firmware version), the DD-WRT Web GUI identifies this router as an: Asus RT-N10+ rev D1 (not an Asus RT-N12).

3) The Web GUI also identifies it as having an NVRAM size of 64KB (which IMO is significant, because there are "nv64K" builds of DD-WRT for 64K NVRAM routers).

4) I've successfully loaded "openvpn", "big", and "mega" versions of DD-WRT build 21676 "Broadcom_K26" series onto this router; however, none of the "nv64K" or "nv60K" variants have successfully loaded. In all successful cases (except for the "mini" firmware in the OP), the router was left w/ a 32K NVRAM size.

5) I've also been able to "load" various newer version of ("openvpn", "big", "mega") DD-WRT v24-preSP2 firmware ("Broadcom_K26" series) onto this router; however, in all cases, Wifi did not work. During boot-up, the Wifi indicator would light up for maybe 2 - 3 seconds, then go out. I even verified (in a telnet session) that the "wland" process was running. Killing it and re-starting it did not fix the Wifi issue. Note that this issue occured even w/ the next newer version series available for d/l @ DD-WRT (build 22118, released 07-24-2013) as well as the newest version series available (which as of this writing is build 24160, released 05-27-2014). Don't know what changed between build 21676 (from the OP) and build 22118 (and higher), but it's preventing Wifi from working.

6) That being said, I did find a newer firmware version which works, where I'll post about that next.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: