Help with DD-WRT on Buffalo whr-hp-g54

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
ric0chet06
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 0:03    Post subject: Help with DD-WRT on Buffalo whr-hp-g54 Reply with quote
I need an improved wireless signal for my apartment tenants, and i just bought this buffalo router, whr-hp-g54. what firmware do i need and how much will it help the signal? thank you!
Sponsor
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
The HP radio is already optimized for range. DD-WRT will not help the range but it will add a lot of nice functions to the router, and I have heard that DD-WRT adds stability of operation as compared to the stock firmware (I never use the stock firmware, so I don't know first hand).
http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
teclis22
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aloah !

the firmware you need:

downloads-stable-v23SP2-gerneric.bin (or similar)

the flashing how to is in the wiki

However, it helps if you provide us a map of the aparments you try to cover, where the router will be etc.

chance is you will need to upgrade the antenna of the box to somethingwith a bit more ompf. Wireless signal though multiple walls is usually pretty quickly at its end.

Good luck if you need help or advice just post here

Best regards

tec

1x Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N in Reserve (still looking for that on ebay)

all units running DD-WRT v3.0-r44187 std
ric0chet06
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
pic of my house/apartment building

is there an antenna that i can attach to like a 50 foot cable, and just put it in the attic right between the 2 rooms? I dont need wireless, its just for the 2 upstairs tenants. thank you for your help!
teclis22
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aloah !

Yup putting the antenna into the small space above your place seems like a good idea if yo udont need the wireless signal yourself.
That will lsave you having to go through a cealing at an odd angle.

My suggestions are as followls. You can get different items from a local supplier of course.

A low loss cable. The better quality the cable the less loos of the antenna gain you have. Dont save money on the wrong end !!!

http://shop.interline.pl/product_info.php?cPath=39_59&products_id=129

A 9 dbi Omni antenna. I would not go for more then 9 i think. You run the risk of creating reflections and thus chocking on your own signal

http://shop.interline.pl/product_info.php?cPath=37_46_45&products_id=25

Technically a sectorial antenna would be sufficent. You could take a look at this one:

http://shop.interline.pl/product_info.php?cPath=37_46_50&products_id=49

I do not have any first hand experience with sectorials. Maybe some other users can chime in here ?

Hope this helps

Best regards

tec

teclis22
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh ya,

dont forget to boost xmit to 56 (works for sure with v23 sp2) and set rx/tx to right

regards

tec

reaper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 13:48    Post subject: Range Reply with quote
Thy ddwrt helped with the range on my whr hp g54.

I went to xmit and increased the power level from standard 28 to 70 and all pc/laptops showing full 5 bars even when at the bottom of my 90 ft garden.

I flashed it with the generic dd wrt.bin file sp3 (standard zip file):

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads.php

Very pleased with the new firmware, i can now deploy url filtering and i used a tool to flash the firmaware rather than trying the tftp command. The tool is somewhere on this forum and worked a treat.
ric0chet06
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
im in the U.S., so would newegg have those cables? I've tried to flash the firmware, but the instructions make no sense to me, and im 18 and build computers. I have no clue why. Is there a better tutorial than the one here?
red502
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
teclis22 wrote:
Oh ya,

dont forget to boost xmit to 56 (works for sure with v23 sp2) and set rx/tx to right

Hi, I also have this router and have set xmit to 56 (which really boosted the signal) what are the best rx/tx settings and also ack etc. ? I have 5 XP clients connected, 2 of which are file-sharing. Thanks.

ps. Is there anything else I need to know for this basic setup? Should I disable DHCP on my cable modem or on the router?
ric0chet06
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
what does this part of the wiki mean?

\Change your directory to the folder containing the firmware image. (Ex. cd "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop" (if you saved the .bin file to the Desktop)

i have the file saved on my desktop with file name dd-wrt.v23.sp2.standard

heeeeeeeeeelp
reaper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:36    Post subject: flashing tool Reply with quote
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/tftp.exe

Click on the above link and download, its fo rthe linksys but works fine with the buffalo as i also flashed my one with it (WHR HP G54).

TAKEN FROM ANOTHER POSTING ON THIS FORUM:

The one critical step to a successful flash, that I have not seen mentioned here, is to set the host computer to a static IP in the range matching the router- 192.168.11.x (x can be anything between 2 and 254).

Once the IP is set on the computer, open the aforementioned Linksys tftp utility, set the server IP to 192.168.11.1, browse to your intended .bin (firmware) file and select it, leave the password blank and set the retries to 99 (20 is usually enough).

Make sure your ethernet cable is connected to the NIC on the computer, and a LAN port on the router.

Click "Upgrade" on the tftp utility, and casually put power to the router. The utility will attempt upgrades and fail.....that's fine. Watch the LAN icon in your task bar as it attempts to acquire an IP. Just as you see it connect and find an IP, the utility will begin to flash the upgrade to the router. After it's complete, sit and wait about 2 minutes (more or less, depending on variables) and the router will reboot itself. When it's finished booting, it's done.

Reset your host computer to its previous IP configuration. This has to be either DHCP or static in the range of 192.168.1.x., because now that the router has DD-WRT flashed, it's IP has changed from 192.168.11.1 to 192.168.1.1. Do a hard reset on the router and it's ready to configure.

This method is as easy (easier in my opinion) than the OP's, and it has never ever failed for me. I use it every time I tftp a router, regardless of brand...it works with Linksys as well as it works for Buffaloes. I've flashed literally hundreds of routers using this procedure and have never had and issue.

Regards.
red502
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
ric0chet06 wrote:
what does this part of the wiki mean?

\Change your directory to the folder containing the firmware image. (Ex. cd "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop" (if you saved the .bin file to the Desktop)

i have the file saved on my desktop with file name dd-wrt.v23.sp2.standard

heeeeeeeeeelp

This is a MS-DOS thing! If you are 18 it is possible you've never used it.

To make life simple: copy the file to the root of the C drive (drag and drop into C in my computer).

open the command prompt with start - run - type "cmd" enter

type "cd\" enter
then "dir" enter
[ignore all speech marks]
you should be able to see the file name now.

Type tftp -i 192.168.11.1 PUT (file name of firmware image) like: tftp -i 192.168.11.1 PUT dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin. Do not press enter yet.

refer to relevant part of installtion wiki for this router.

Honestly, I followed the instructions yesterday and they are very good!

Make sure you set a static IP address for the computer connected by cable to the router and then change it after the firmware upgrade.

"google is your friend"!
ric0chet06
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
google is not my friend at 3:30 a.m. with eyes that hurt so bad to look at the screen!
ric0chet06
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
it keeps saying this in the cmd:

tftp: can't read from the local file 'dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin'

and also, i have it saved to my desktop, and when i click on it its named dd-wrt.v23_generic.

hellpp
mikeyman2171
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Having the file on the desktop is the problem especially if you arent using the tftp utility which is what I used to flash my hp 54 g with no problems. since you are using a command prompt it will be easier if you copy the file then paste it to the c drive directly then use the tftp commands. it should look something like this:
1. Copy dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin
2. go to "my computer" right click on the C: drive and select Explore
3. find a blank area of the directory and right click and then paste the file there
4. open a command prompt
5. make sure you are at the root directory ( C:\ )
6. tftp -i 192.168.11.1 PUT dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin. Do not press enter yet.
7. Grab the power cable to the router (should be unplugged). Now, hit Enter to start the TFTP transfer and immediately connect the power to the Buffalo.
8. if the above doesnt work the first time then try it again but before you press enter wait until the red diagnostic light comes on then press it and watch the magic happen.
I hope this helps
Mike
PS if it doesnt work Please try the linksys tftp utility it works like a charm.

Navigation

Jump to: