Slow speed on Linksys e3000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="Lightsword"]
crashfly wrote:
Something else you might want to consider is using Kong's version of DD-WRT. The newer kernel 3 mod is the same as stock, however the slightly older 2.6 kernel mods are better optimized for the router.

Just a thought.

The main difference why my builds were faster is because I fixed many stupid firewall rules. I also fixed this now in regular dd-wrt and I'm still fixing rules that have been introduced in the last 12 month.

Quote:

I'm wondering if any of the newer builds have the better driver that doesn't slow itself down so much. I was guessing that the 3.x may be fixed. I can't really test myself anymore all that easily since I canceled Comcast due to a different issue.

K3 builds use a much newer driver + OEMs are still on K26 only dd-wrt and openwrt use K3 while openwrt does not really support any broadcom models with K3.

Lightsword
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="<Kong>"]
Lightsword wrote:
crashfly wrote:
Something else you might want to consider is using Kong's version of DD-WRT. The newer kernel 3 mod is the same as stock, however the slightly older 2.6 kernel mods are better optimized for the router.

Just a thought.

The main difference why my builds were faster is because I fixed many stupid firewall rules. I also fixed this now in regular dd-wrt and I'm still fixing rules that have been introduced in the last 12 month.

Quote:

I'm wondering if any of the newer builds have the better driver that doesn't slow itself down so much. I was guessing that the 3.x may be fixed. I can't really test myself anymore all that easily since I canceled Comcast due to a different issue.

K3 builds use a much newer driver + OEMs are still on K26 only dd-wrt and openwrt use K3 while openwrt does not really support any broadcom models with K3.

This issue going on here was fixed on some oem devices for the most part that even use the k2.4 driver(i pulled the gpl source on the wrt610nv2 and e3000 and saw the wl binary changed when it usually doesn't between oem firmware versions). However I am not sure exactly what changed since it was a binary only driver for the most part. I think the change was around 2010 or so. BTW would the K3 driver that dd-wrt uses in SVN be usable with other firmwares such as OpenWRT and tomato or is it DD-WRT kernel specific(hard for me to tell since its part binary only)?
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lightsword wrote:

This issue going on here was fixed on some oem devices for the most part that even use the k2.4 driver(i pulled the gpl source on the wrt610nv2 and e3000 and saw the wl binary changed when it usually doesn't between oem firmware versions). However I am not sure exactly what changed since it was a binary only driver for the most part. I think the change was around 2010 or so. BTW would the K3 driver that dd-wrt uses in SVN be usable with other firmwares such as OpenWRT and tomato or is it DD-WRT kernel specific(hard for me to tell since its part binary only)?

The wl driver is continuously updated by Broadcom so you can not draw any conclusions from that and there is no such thing as "when it usually doesn't".

The dd-wrt K3 wl driver is most likely not directly compatible with any other 3rd party firmware.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Lightsword wrote:

The wl driver is continuously updated by Broadcom so you can not draw any conclusions from that and there is no such thing as "when it usually doesn't".

The dd-wrt K3 wl driver is most likely not directly compatible with any other 3rd party firmware.

Well, if it was fully open source it likely could be adapted to most any kernel. Just wondering if the binary only components are kernel specific or not.
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
try dd-wrt KONG 22200. and be sure to do a 30/30/30 reset AFTER you have successfully flashed the router. otherwise, you will have some problems until you perform the 30/30/30 reset.

my router is not only doing well in wireless, but its also swinging from vine to vine.

hope it works for you.

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lightsword wrote:
LOM wrote:
Lightsword wrote:

Well, if it was fully open source it likely could be adapted to most any kernel. Just wondering if the binary only components are kernel specific or not.

The wl driver is not open source it is a proprietary driver and is therefore distributed pre-compiled, this is a Broadcom requirement.
It is modified for dd-wrt compatibility and is also kernel version and kernel config dependent.
It is not intended for use with any other 3rd party firmware than dd-wrt.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Lightsword wrote:
LOM wrote:
Lightsword wrote:

The wl driver is not open source it is a proprietary driver and is therefore distributed pre-compiled, this is a Broadcom requirement.
It is modified for dd-wrt compatibility and is also kernel version and kernel config dependent.
It is not intended for use with any other 3rd party firmware than dd-wrt.

so you ask them for a driver and they send you a compiled driver that you are not allowed to uncompile and look at? wait what?

how does this all work? is there a thread on this explaining how it works?

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
Lightsword
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, knew parts of it were per-compiled, figured there was some sort of NDA on the source code for that. I know even the driver on x86 is hybrid so I thought it might be somewhat like that. I also did see a bunch of the config dependencies but to me it looked like they would just need to be built into whatever other kernel was being built that you wanted to use the wl driver with. Trying to make heads or tails of undocumented stuff is always a bit tricky especially when it comes to closed source. I traced this particular issue to a certain time date range by getting oem source for a few firmware revisions and even models and looking for a md5 change/file size change. Linksys apparently likes to reuse the wl driver between similar router models so I pretty much just looked for when the driver on a number of them changed corresponding to this issue getting resolved. Someone should test this on a dd-wrt k3.x build to make sure it has been resolved in dd-wrt as well, otherwise it would probably be good to try to track this bug down and fix it.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: