Dual yagi for datalink?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
Intergalactic Captain
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 15:26    Post subject: Dual yagi for datalink? Reply with quote
This is my fist post here, so I apologize in advance if I'm breaking forum etiquette... Long story short, after a lot of searching the local secondhand market, I broke down and bought a TP-Link wr841ndv7.2 - after a few days of bouncing between stock, openwrt and ddwrt, I've got it doing what I want it to...

Now comes the dilemna - The particular AP I'm connected to is 100 yards away (not much), but I need to punch through a foot of lath and plaster and two feet of rebar reinforced concrete - As it stands, I can pull a -86db signal with stock antennae and -77 with "windsurfer" style parabolic reflectors - but the overall signal quality and SNR is unacceptable...

I suppose that's a lot of introduction for a simple question - I plan to build a yagi antenna for this router - Playing around with some calculators, I see that for where I want to place it I can get away with a 10-12 element design with 14-16db of gain... Now, the question is, that's for one antenna, right? Everything I've been able to find on stacking yagi's is on the same feedline - but this (and most modern routers) has more than one - So lets say I have two identical yagi's stacked one wavelength apart, each run into it's own antenna jack - Would this give me any increase in signal strength, or just quality via redundancy? If we assume that everything works as modeled (it won't), and polarity is accounted for, would there be any increase in gain, and if so, would it be tx or rx?
Sponsor
Shandleyman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 21:30    Post subject: Re: Dual yagi for datalink? Reply with quote
I see a major conflict mounting the yagi's one wavelength apart. You will get lots of bounce if you are looking to "punch through." Keep your focus on aim and if you are going to use 2, keep them a minimum of 2 feet apart, more if you are pointing them right at a wall. Again, I do not suggest this method at all.

You can likely get away with using one yagi for both the tx and rx and leave the stock antenna on the other antenna mount.

PLEASE NOTE: 2.4GHz is extremely suitable to line of sight obstructions.

That being said, I use a 14db yagi and I can get through my concrete building, away about 200 feet, and then in another concrete building with ~65 and a good SNR. After that; however, it quickly diminishes.

I have done a bloody tonne of research on the subject of yagis and I have come to this conclusion through hours and hours of testing.

If you have any questions, please ask.[/u]

/ |-| /-\ /\/ |) |_ (- Y /\/\ /-\ /\/
\ -------------------------------
/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: