Flashing Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
silverhand
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:19    Post subject: Flashing Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H Reply with quote
I've followed the instructions on the wiki, but everytime I try to flash the latest firmware I get an Upgrade Failed message.

I'm trying to go from the latest Buffalo professional firmware to the latest DD-WRT.

Any suggestions?
Sponsor
silverhand
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
If more information is needed in order to answer my question, please let me know.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Exactly which file did you try to flash?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/07-24-2013-r22118/buffalo_wzr-hp-ag300h/buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-MULTI.bin
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which factory firmware is on there now? Buffalo pro dd-wrt? Which build number?

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
silverhand
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT Professional Firmware 19154
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are indeed following the wiki instructs to the letter than i am unsure why this is failing, it may be possible that buffalo dd-wrt has a check in either of its firmware (friendly or buffalo pro dd-wrt) to not allow this type of webif flashing, not sure - when i purchased mine, it came with 15940 on it and the instructs i wrote up for it in the wiki worked fine for it then.

Most i could advise from here is either trying the TFTP flashing instructs in the wiki or possibly downgrade your buffalo dd-wrt installation to a former build and re-try the webif flashing from there. I'd also advise clearing your browser cache and cookies - BTW which web browser are you using to flash with?

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
silverhand
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried flashing back to the older firmware and still received an Upgrade Failed message. I've used Chrome, Firefox and IE to attempt the upgrade.

I also tried TFTP, but I can't seem to get the timing down. I tried the 10 second delay listed on the wiki, as well as a 4 second delay I saw elsewhere. I tried doing it direct to the router, as well as through a switch. No joy.

Does Buffalo use some sort of locking mechanism, like what you find on Android phones or the iPhone? Does it need a jailbreak of some sort?
silverhand
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found an article that talks about how to do this in Linux.

http://blog.gnu-designs.com/solved-reflashing-your-buffalo-whr-hp-g300n-to-the-stock-firmware/

I may get a LiveCD of Mint Linux and try this to see if it works.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
In linux is not much difference than TFTP'n in windows, and basically has the same effect.

And as i said in previous post, it is possible that they put a check in their later firmwares to prevent firmwares from being flashed from the webif. IIRC at one point they put out a release note on one of their latter builds that stated this kind of check. I never paid it much mind though because i pretty much always flash using TFTP, and don't have this problem, i only flash via webif when testing webflash bins, to make sure they work, and even then i am already on community dd-wrt - so its different there - no check on community dd-wrt to prevent webif flashing.

Edit: dug thru the 19154 buffalo pro build html file, and as i suspected: Version history

v24SP2-MULTI (06/03/12) std - build 19154.

To apply new wireless regulatory, build 19154 (User Friendly F/W Version 1.77 ) will not allow firmware upload to any older versions.

At this point you have no choice but to use TFTP, the main key is using a hardware switch.

silverhand
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Linux worked. I've installed dd-wrt on my WZR-HP-AG300H with no problems.

Thanks for the help!
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Excellent, glad it worked for you, i'll edit this finding into the wiki for future reference.

Hans5849
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Huge bump.

I received a new router from Amazon today and I couldn't access the webui, so I figure it was bricked from the factory and I went about the TFTP method of flashing.

I kept having problems with the timing and then I found this guide http://jaxelos.wordpress.com/2010/12/10/re-flashing-repairing-a-bricked-bufalo-wzr-hp-g300nh/
Now the guide is a little complex, but I found a useful utility there. The Linksys TFTP utility http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/tornado/Windows-TFTP/tftp2.exe
I used this to flash the file instead of the command prompt as it will auto retry.

Short:

Use the Linksys TFTP utility to flash instead of the command prompt
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/tornado/Windows-TFTP/tftp2.exe
Flappjakk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 16:25    Post subject: WZR-600DHP Reply with quote
Sorry to reply to an old thread, but I'm having the same problem. I had a WZR-600DHP that recently died. I liked the router so I bought a new one. This one came stock with "DD-WRT v3.0-r29660 std (05/12/16)" and I have been unable to upgrade to the community version of DD-WRT. I tried using the router's web upgrade page, I tried tftp from Windows 10, tftp from Ubuntu 16.04, and I tried the Linksys "tftp2.exe" linked in various forums. I can't get it to work. I tried using Wireshark to see what's going on with the network. When I plug the router in I see after about 10 seconds the tftp WRQ packets going from my PC (192.168.11.2) to the router (192.168.11.1) but the router still continues on to boot the firmware that's installed instead of receiving the TFTP upgrade file. Can anyone recommend something else to try? I'm worried Buffalo may have removed the tftp from the bootloader to prevent this type of upgrade.
Flappjakk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got it working today after initially bricking the router. Here are some of the important things I think I missed.

1) Make sure Windows Firewall is turned off.

2) Make sure the static ARP entry for the 192.168.11.1 router is always 02-AA-BB-CC-DD-20. Also use netsh because arp -s doesn't work in Windows 10.
netsh interface ip delete neighbors "Ethernet" "192.168.11.1"

netsh interface ip add neighbors "Ethernet" 192.168.11.1 02-AA-BB-CC-DD-20

3) The timing for the tftp transfer isn't nearly as tricky as we're led to believe. Have the command queued up in your command box, plug in the router, hit enter in your command box.

4) Have Wireshark ready to help you see if anything is actually happening on the network.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: