2 routers, 2 subnets, 1 with a vpn and apple bonjour across

brujack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 13:54    Post subject: 2 routers, 2 subnets, 1 with a vpn and apple bonjour across Reply with quote
I have two routers at home. One is the "gateway" router connected to my cable modem and the other provides vpn access for internal hosts to external sites.

Basic diagram:

cable modem
|
|
router #1 (192.168.1.1 on LAN side, WAN side is DHCP)
|
|
router #2 (192.168.2.1 on LAN side, WAN side is 192.168.1.2--permanent VPN via pptp to an outside VPN provider)

What I would like to do is have hosts on 192.168.2.x subnet to able to see hosts/services on 192.168.1.x subnet.

Is there a way to have the hosts on 192.168.2.x subnet see network service provided on 192.168.1.x and vice versa? Additionally be able to use apple bonjour across both subnets.

Both routers are setup in "gateway" mode.
Sponsor
ndewan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Take a look at the wiki for setting up 'static routes' between the routers. Additionally, you might need a firewall rule. Start with the linking first, add the firewall rules as needed.

I am curious, if I understand your diagram properly, the routers are daisy chained and the downstream router is connected to the VPN, so all traffic flowing through router #1. I am sure you have your reasons, but is that what you really wanted to do.

It might make more sense to take to router #2 out completely and have #1 connect to the VPN directly.

Again .. I am sure you have your reasons.

1 * EA6500 - 29193 Mega (Repeater Bridge)
1 * EA6500v2 - 29193 Mega (Repeater Bridge)
1 * WRT610N - 29193 Mega (Repeater Bridge)
===================================
brujack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
The reason for the downstream router 2 is that selected clients can use the VPN. In simple terms, so that I can connect to 2 different Netflix services. Network 1 has access to 1 Netflix service and network 2 has access to a different Netflix service, via the VPN.

I will take a look at the static routing options.

BTW, is there a way in dd-wrt to have selected traffic go across a VPN? Either locked to a client or based on address of server requested?
xkyve
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm interested in this topic, too. I'm a beginner and I have a similar problem.

@brujack: What did you do so that router #2 can have internet from router #1? I want to connect devices to router #2 and have internet. How can I make this happen? Both routers should be in "Gateway mode"?
brujack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Setup a static route from router 1 to router 2 and now I can see hosts both directions. Is there anyway to get Apple Bonjour services across both subnets? This would be ideal.

@xkyve To get router 2 to have internet access you need to connect the wan port of router 2 to a lan port of router 1 and setup the subnets similarly to what I have done.
brujack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bringing this back up top. I would still like to get apple Bonjour service to go between the 2 networks. Any ideas how to set this up?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: