AC900/EA6200 DD-WRT firmware

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
rexzone1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 18:44    Post subject: EA6200 trying to load DD-WRT Reply with quote
Hi,

I am a noob on DD-WRT and I have gone thru the peacock thread where series of instructions are provided (none saying how to install on EA6200).
While searching I found two posts stating they just loaded ac-56rtu thru WebUI with manual upgrade and viola!
It is working for them. So I am trying to understand if anything else is needed other than the manual upgrade firmware?
Thank you for any advise I can get.
Sponsor
raito77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 18:55    Post subject: Re: EA6200 trying to load DD-WRT Reply with quote
rexzone1 wrote:
Hi,

I am a noob on DD-WRT and I have gone thru the peacock thread where series of instructions are provided (none saying how to install on EA6200).
While searching I found two posts stating they just loaded ac-56rtu thru WebUI with manual upgrade and viola!
It is working for them. So I am trying to understand if anything else is needed other than the manual upgrade firmware?
Thank you for any advise I can get.

Just follow this instruction:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=956223#956223

You will need USB to TTL adapter if You brick the router Very Happy
nadu1973
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I am using asus-rt-ac56u build 24461 for EA6200. But I see some instability with wifi. 5G is very unstable and authentication timeout most of the time for clients. Have you guys seen this issue and is there any fix for it?

Also, is there any new firmware for this model?

Thanks
ccsasuke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
nadu1973 wrote:
Hi,

I am using asus-rt-ac56u build 24461 for EA6200. But I see some instability with wifi. 5G is very unstable and authentication timeout most of the time for clients. Have you guys seen this issue and is there any fix for it?

Also, is there any new firmware for this model?

Thanks

I have been using Kong's builds, first 24800M, now 26500M.
Super stable! Actually I had problems with some of BS builds on my EA6200, last time I tried 26653, it bricked my router.
nadu1973
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you.

26653 bricked mine too. Then I had to open it.

Where would I get his 26500M build from? Is it from the ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/ ftp site? I don't see 26500M there.

Also, can anyone please provide the cfe bootloader commands to flash both the paritions with DD-WRT? I tried everything in my capacity but could not able to do it.

Thanks.
ccsasuke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
nadu1973 wrote:
Thank you.

26653 bricked mine too. Then I had to open it.

Where would I get his 26500M build from? Is it from the ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/ ftp site? I don't see 26500M there.

Also, can anyone please provide the cfe bootloader commands to flash both the paritions with DD-WRT? I tried everything in my capacity but could not able to do it.

Thanks.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=279959&sid=0375e18802338cbeb18441346b545bcf

You're welcome. Also, it's great to find fellow users of EA6200 running DD-WRT!
If you got some time, it would be much appreciated if you could take a look at this post, which involves some of my problems about EA6200 that I haven't solved.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=282842
Perhaps you have seen/solved some of those.
nadu1973
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried flashing dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin from the link you mentioned in the above post.

But it causes kernel panic when it boots.

oboswitch: Probing device 'eth0'
roboswitch: trying a 53011! at eth0
roboswitch: found a 53011! at eth0
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000

dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin: Is this the image you are using?

I'll update the post if I find a solution to your problem.

Thanks.
ccsasuke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
nadu1973 wrote:
I tried flashing dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin from the link you mentioned in the above post.

But it causes kernel panic when it boots.

oboswitch: Probing device 'eth0'
roboswitch: trying a 53011! at eth0
roboswitch: found a 53011! at eth0
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000

dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin: Is this the image you are using?

I'll update the post if I find a solution to your problem.

Thanks.

Yes, it seems the image I was using. I haven't encountered this problem. In my case, GUI flashing worked flawlessly, both from stock firmware and DD.
nadu1973
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. How do I go back to stock firmware from dd-wrt? Also, did you put dd-wrt on both the partitions?
ccsasuke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
nadu1973 wrote:
Thanks. How do I go back to stock firmware from dd-wrt? Also, did you put dd-wrt on both the partitions?

I haven't tried going back to stock.

And no, I did not explicitly put it on both the partitions. I only use Web GUI for flashing to minimize risk, since as I said, I don't have a good way to recover a brick. I recently saw some instructions on how to flash dd-wrt onto EA6200, the one mentioning setting bootpartition to 0, it wasn't there when I was trying to flash my EA6200 (mid 2014). So I never followed that.

So here is what I have done:
(mid 2014) I first tried directly flashing r24461, but it didn't survive a reboot. I hence have experiences with dd-wrt going back to stock, but it wasn't me.. There were a lot of trials and errors, but from what I remember, I got it working by first flash from the stock to an OLD build (r21676), and flash from dd-wrt to newer builds. I ended up happy at Kong's 24800M for about half a year.

A little while ago, after experiencing the samba problem and not being able to solve it, I decided to try a newer build, and went to r26653, which bricked my router.
I then got a replacement unit (despicable me Very Happy), and this time I directly flashed Kong's 26500M using the stock web GUI, and it was accepted. It's still up and running now. I power cycled it several times to make sure the build is not volatile, and it seems running perfectly now. It may need more time to tell though.
gpd19
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:10    Post subject: Confirm actual file used Reply with quote
ccsasuke wrote:
nadu1973 wrote:

I haven't tried going back to stock.

And no, I did not explicitly put it on both the partitions. I only use Web GUI for flashing to minimize risk, since as I said, I don't have a good way to recover a brick. I recently saw some instructions on how to flash dd-wrt onto EA6200, the one mentioning setting bootpartition to 0, it wasn't there when I was trying to flash my EA6200 (mid 2014). So I never followed that.

So here is what I have done:
(mid 2014) I first tried directly flashing r24461, but it didn't survive a reboot. I hence have experiences with dd-wrt going back to stock, but it wasn't me.. There were a lot of trials and errors, but from what I remember, I got it working by first flash from the stock to an OLD build (r21676), and flash from dd-wrt to newer builds. I ended up happy at Kong's 24800M for about half a year.

A little while ago, after experiencing the samba problem and not being able to solve it, I decided to try a newer build, and went to r26653, which bricked my router.
I then got a replacement unit (despicable me Very Happy), and this time I directly flashed Kong's 26500M using the stock web GUI, and it was accepted. It's still up and running now. I power cycled it several times to make sure the build is not volatile, and it seems running perfectly now. It may need more time to tell though.

Can you confirm that this was the file that you uploaded? http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin
xaueious
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
There has been some conflicting information about how to put DDWRT on the EA6200.

There seem to be similarities with other EA6xxx and ASUS AC56U/AC68U devices, but please note that the EA6200 is a single-core device, and the hardware differences do not necessarily just end there.

I'm not sure if my NVRAM is corrupted now since I did go over 32K before I found out about the bug. But the router is working great with DDWRT now on Kong's 24800M generic build, no complaints there. Kong's latest build (27085) for May 27 is not booting on my EA6200.

Quick steps to get to DDWRT:
1. Flash a confirmed working DDWRT bin from stock Linksys web GUI (ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/02-04-2015-r26138/asus-rt-ac56u/)
2. Add the startup script below and run it once BEFORE saving any other settings
3. Disable WAN traffic logging service
4. Glance over the notes below to avoid bricking

Some notes:

1. NVRAM 32k bug
With the EA6200 (affects also EA6xxx devices), there's a bug that makes the router crash when the nvram usage passes 32k. When running from stock firmware, this condition is never triggered. However, ddwrt does have the tendency to write variables into nvram that take up space unnecessarily, especially after a flash.

This also means you do NOT want to activate the JFFS feature either.

2. Do NOT clear NVRAM - many important variables are stored in NVRAM, including MAC address, wps key
Some of the variables there are crucial to keep and can be lost resulting in a brick. DDWRT factory reset works for me, however.

Do not do 30-30-30 reset

3. Some DDWRT builds result in kernel panics for some users (http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=965473&sid=1658ba2209a95055a745ad0b0075f2a8). Kong's 24800M is a confirmed working build for me.

4. CPU overheating
Even though it's only a single-core device, my EA6200 reported a 90+ Celsius CPU temperature. I removed the square thermal pad on the CPU and replaced it with thermal paste, and padded the piece of rubber applying force on the heatsink which resulted in a 20 degree drop in CPU temperature. The heatsink is taped in place with pressure from the top of the casing.

5. Dual boot partitions
There are two boot partitions on the device. Each flash writes the firmware to the second partition. If it fails to boot, it will try to cycle to the other partition after the maximum partial boots count has been incremented past the value in maxpartialboots in nvram (default value is 3), saved in the partialboots=0 variable.

I read in another thread that the stock firmware sets partialboots=0 every boot.

6. Startup script

This is what I have, not sure if partialboots is needed. The most important is the script o clear the empty nvram variables (first line). The GPIO lines just turn off the LED light.
Code:
$(nvram show | grep "=$" | awk -F= '{print "nvram unset " $1}')

nvram set partialboots=0
nvram commit

gpio disable 8; gpio enable 6;

7. Taking the device apart

To take apart, pop off the feet, unscrew the 4 screws, and pop open the plastic clips on the sides.

8. Stock CFE
Mirrored here. I also started some other thread before I found this one where I wanted to know if AC56S CFE will work on this device since the hardware seems close.

pmon_ver=CFE 6.39.163.14 (r374748)
sw_version=0.5.6

There is no version string written inside the CFE, but I looked up the pmon_version string in these forums and it's exactly matching the one for EA6700

Also see:
http://www.dd-wrt.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?p=876854&sid=bd34a38eaf9d00ae4d211386461b8e89
EA6900, EA6700, EA6300 threads

NVRAM
boardtype: 0xE646
boardrev: 0x1100
0:devid: 0x43B3
boardnum: null
modelNumber: EA6200

cfe_ea6200.bin
 Description:
Stock EA6200 CFE

Download
 Filename:  cfe_ea6200.bin
 Filesize:  512 KB
 Downloaded:  1869 Time(s)

Last edited by xaueious on Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:42; edited 3 times in total
razel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 20:09    Post subject: DD-WRT kongac build works with raito77 firmware Reply with quote
Registered to show my gratitude and begin contributing to DD-WRT for 10 years of the best router software for free. Installing DD-WRT on the EA6200 re-enables 866Mbps AC and both implicit (AC)/explicit (both N/AC) beamforming. Not sure if the stock firmware did both.

With the Linksys firmware you cannot update to the:

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin

build.

Use the firmware referenced by raito77 on page one on this thread to then flash the above firmware. That is an older Linksys firmware with SSH, but it works to get you to DD-WRT. All works well and do the obvious. So,

- reset to factory
- update raito77's referenced firmware using Linksys web interface
- update to kongac firmware (same web iface)
- save the startup script by xaueious

The current 8/8/2015 and his previous build both work wonderfully. You can then go back to the Linksys firmware, but as noted, you cannot go back to DD-WRT unless you flash raito77's referred firmware 1st. At least in my experience.

Also if you have a long cable on the WAN side connected to your modem that has a gigabit port, if your cable is not up to snuff it may eventually negotiate all the way to 10Mbps and stays there even through a reset/power down/defaults reset. Not a fault of DD-WRT as it happens with the Linksys firmware as well. You can force it back to 100Mbps, but the correct fix is to get the cabling right.
zhouyuwei128
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:17    Post subject: DDWRT in EA6200 works at low connection speed Reply with quote
raito77 wrote:
heywire wrote:
Cyberstorm, any chance you could point me to the exact firmware you loaded on the Linksys EA6200? Can it be flashed from the factory web UI or does it need to be flashed from the command line? Also, how did you get ssh access on the stock firmware? I read about the "packages" folder trick for older firmware on some of the older Linksys routers, but couldn't get it to work on the 6200.

Thanks!

1. Download this FW and flash from web UI
link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kfcjbwjgcwtrdxd/FW_EA6200_1.1.41.bin?dl=0
2. Now You have ssh access on factory FW

3. To flash dd-wrt to EA6200 I used asus-rt-ac56u build 24461 (06/23/14)
For me this buid was working Perfect.
With newer builds i have problems with VPN and USB storage

Connect with ssh and ...
Next do as cyberstorm posted:

image_writer ddr_wrt_fw_to_flash.trx /dev/mtd2
nvram set bootpartition=0
nvram commit
reboot

P.S.
Important!!!
DO NOT reset NVRAM it will brick your EA6200 router!!!

I have successfully fit asus-rt-ac56u build 24461 FW into my EA6200 and it works functional but not at full speed.

The linksys official EA6200 FW has 2.4G + 5G two separate AP with actual connection speed of 144 Mbps and 886 Mbps with my 802.11AC wifi adapter, while the DDWRT FW shows the speed is 56 Mbps (actual is 144M) and 173.3 Mbps (actual 173.3M), I set 5G with "AC only" and 2.4G wtih "G/N mix". Do this DDWRT FW may not be able to realize the full speed at EA6200, and not sure the speed with Asus AC56U router. Or, any suggestions to the DDWRT setting issue that may cause low connection speed? Thanks in advance!
zhouyuwei128
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:06    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT kongac build works with raito77 firmware Reply with quote
razel wrote:
Registered to show my gratitude and begin contributing to DD-WRT for 10 years of the best router software for free. Installing DD-WRT on the EA6200 re-enables 866Mbps AC and both implicit (AC)/explicit (both N/AC) beamforming. Not sure if the stock firmware did both.

With the Linksys firmware you cannot update to the:

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin

build.

Use the firmware referenced by raito77 on page one on this thread to then flash the above firmware. That is an older Linksys firmware with SSH, but it works to get you to DD-WRT. All works well and do the obvious. So,

- reset to factory
- update raito77's referenced firmware using Linksys web interface
- update to kongac firmware (same web iface)
- save the startup script by xaueious

The current 8/8/2015 and his previous build both work wonderfully. You can then go back to the Linksys firmware, but as noted, you cannot go back to DD-WRT unless you flash raito77's referred firmware 1st. At least in my experience.

Also if you have a long cable on the WAN side connected to your modem that has a gigabit port, if your cable is not up to snuff it may eventually negotiate all the way to 10Mbps and stays there even through a reset/power down/defaults reset. Not a fault of DD-WRT as it happens with the Linksys firmware as well. You can force it back to 100Mbps, but the correct fix is to get the cabling right.

Where exactly i can find Kong's DD FW version of 24800M and 26500M. I download FW from below link and tried to update it into my EA6200, not successful upgraded from whichever stock FW ver.159870 or 164830 with or without SSH. It will circle back to linksys' official FW (same as stock FW? I assume). So I return back to DDWRT ver.24461, temporarily functional, but AC-5G only speed at 173.3Mbps.

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin (Is this FW version of 26500M ? )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 11
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: