New 350N Can't get to work... Bricked? Tried tftp...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Philz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:10    Post subject: New 350N Can't get to work... Bricked? Tried tftp... Reply with quote
No idea what happened honestly. Worked fine with the linksys firmware and as i planed on using it with DD-wrt, i got the latest mini firmware, flashed it. It worked. Then i remember reading you can go from mini to standard. So i grabbed the latest generic_nokaid and flashed that again with the browser GUI. Dead, dead, dead. Just dosent work now, have to manually set my DHCP and in vmware have it set to shared (macbook) then i run TFTP2 on the "window" of opportunity and nothing happens, same thing, can't get to the panel. with the new beta linksys or any dd-wrt...

HELP! What did i do wrong or what am i missing? I used to use dd-wrt on my old wrt54g, till i went with a dlink dr-4300 (sp?). So i wan't to go back, with 802.11n!!!
Sponsor
Rekoil
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you ever reset the settings after flashing the mini firmware? Try holding the reset button for 60 seconds and then plugging the router back in, that should fix it. By the way the window of opportunity your talking of is called boot_wait. It's not enabled in the Linksys firmware so unless you reset to defaults in dd-wrt that won't be enabled. Don't know if it'll be enabled by holding the reset button for 60 seconds.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
that didn't work

Crying or Very sad

What should i do now? Take it back to best buy and grab another...?
Rekoil
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
If Best Buy will swap it yeah of course.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just so I don't seemingly fubar myself again. What is the proper steps for flashing the 350N as the instalation guide doesn't really help much in this situation? And what firmware should i flash first, or if only once, which? i know 0616 minimum, or something...

Thanks in advance!

I feel really, really Embarassed for not getting this + Bricking my first device -ever- .
Rekoil
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Haha, well lucky for you flashing the WRT350N is easy. First, hold the reset button for 30+ seconds and connect the device. Go into the user interface.

To login now these are the details:
Username is blank
Password: "admin"

Log in. Before you continue, look for a way to enable boot_wait, I'm pretty sure it's in there somewhere. Now go to firmware upgrade and flash the 0610 mini binary, use the one labeled WRT350N, (thats the one I used, I'm sure anything newer than this would be fine but as you're updating again it won't matter). I can't remember if there is a reset to default settings after flash option in the Linksys flashing page... if there is, select that. The device will now download the firmware and reboot. After the reboot you should get the dd-wrt interface.

To login now these are the details:
Username: "root"
Password: "admin"

Click on Administration and go to Firmware upgrade. Flash whatever binary you want (if you want USB, the one I posted in the "Official USB support?" thread would be the easiest way to get going) but select "After flashing, reset to: Reset to Default settings" before you flash. This will get rid of all the Linksys settings that would be leftover in nvram from the Linksys firmware.

After this you should be all done. Congrats.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Arighty. Thanks for the really nice instructions!!!!

One minor question, on your first step, holding the reset for 30+ secounds. With or without stuff conencted and with power?

Thanks again,
Philz
Rekoil
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Doesn't matter, that step is probably not necessary for you anyway, I did that because 1. People say you should reset settings both before and after flashing from stock to dd-wrt. and 2. Because I think someone had played with my router before I got it Razz bought it from eBay and the default password didn't work before I did the reset, but it's all good now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 16:24    Post subject: Torrent client on 350N ? Reply with quote
Hi, Rekoil.
Do you think it is possible to use a torrent client in 350N with USB device in some DD-WRT version so that no PC is needed?
Thanks.
Rekoil
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm sure if you set up a cross compiler you could build rTorrent for it.

Actually I think it might even be in the Optware repos. Give that a go.

> http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Optware <

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, the signal is worse than with the wrt54g that used to be here... How the heck... Even bumbed the xmit power to 50 and the wrt54g still is better.

Is this normal? i mean it's a fricking wireless N router with 3x3 mimo!?!?!?!?
Rekoil
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you at stock or dd-wrt? Cause the wireless sucks in stock.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow i'm really grumpy. It failed posting this post i had wanted to post.

Ok, Now i don't feel like writing as much as i did so i'll do this

DD-WRT worse than stock wrt54g
350N with the beta firmware, a *smigit* more signal than the DD-WRT firmware

Comes down to 3 bars on couch with wrt54g, and what i consider a "barley" 1 bar on the couch with the beta linksys, and NOTHING with DD-wrt set to a 70 transmit signal (28 didn't even reach)

Setup, apartment to apartment, one floor change. Not far, all outdoors between the two, same building.

Make any sense? No, none, zip, zero.

Oddly when the signal was really low, the DD-wrt wouldn't let me connect to the admin pages, but the linksys would (still could surf but slowly).

Tried with and without WPA2-AES.

So i am grumpy, as going between the two was a pain, and then I flashed in a bit of rage from DD-wrt to linksys beta over wifi. big taboo, but oddly, worked Very Happy . Anywho, is there some setting this is wrong? Transmit need to be higher? I honestly have no idea how a .11n router can be WORSE than a fricking .11g. Especially considering 3x3 mimo...

P.S.
Is that center antena special? does it matter how i have it pointing... It just begs to be the problem in my head...

lol still wrote a bit

-Philz
Rekoil
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mines set to 100 and I'm getting a solid 58.5 mbps link with mine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well that helped get it to stock firmware levels, but still worse than a wrt54g...

Think just gonna take it back in a couple days, this isn't worth the hassel. I'll probably get one of every router they have and keep the best one lol... recomendations?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: