TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 HDD sharing, OPTWARE, DLNA, Torrent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
msantos2007
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
js1662 wrote:
Hi Heez, my guess is you are connecting your WDR-4300 to another router (your main router) and you setup WDR-4300 as an AP

Why people make things so difficult?!... Rolling Eyes

The simpler the better.
Sponsor
ArturDent
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
@msantos2007, These are preferences...
Personally i have 4 routers at home. Shocked
One for Internet, second bridged to the first with WiFi, DLNA router/server and one for the garden.

The wireless bridge is because of a problem with lightning in past...
msantos2007
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, sorry! I didn't mean that.

I have a more complex structure than the average, too. But, if we're trying something new, like what we're proposing here, you should start with a simpler structure. We expect something: "This won't work on my ISP+MODEM+ROUTER+PC". Instead, we see "This won't work on my ISP+MODEM+ROUTER+REPEATER+REPEATER+AP+WDS+WASHING_MACHINE+HAIRDRYER+PC, what can I do?".

People should ease their problems, in order to let us help, or even help themselves...
ArturDent
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, I do not understand, because my English is lousy. Sorry!

Guys, if you have any questions about DLNA, Welcome!
I am a programmer with 20+ years of experience and 10+ years of experience with DLNA...

P.S. And my infrastructure is much more complicated, but I wanted to spare you the explanation.
For example I have 5 DLNA servers ... and 2 more in debug mode. This is home.
At work ... much more complicated...
Heez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
i got wget to work by properly setting up the gateway and local dns in ddwrt. thanks!

now i have other questions. i currently have a usb stick connected to my wdr4300 and added some movies to test and dlna worked on my xbox one and my sony tv.

now in the near future, i plan on getting a usb hdd. do i have to set it up the same way or do i just have to add the share folders in ddwrt and edit the minidlna.conf to add those shares to the dlna server?

also, do i need to keep the usb stick plugged in at all times or can i remove it once i get my usb hdd?

thanks!
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
js1662 wrote:
Hi Heez, my guess is you are connecting your WDR-4300 to another router (your main router) and you setup WDR-4300 as an AP, i.e. signal from main router is connected to the LAN port of WDR-4300 instead of WAN.

I would like to correct myself for possible mis-information. The issue has nothing to do with whether it is connected to Lan or Wan, router or AP. The issue is whenever you setup a static ip, you need to provide the gateway and DNS information otherwise it can only connect inside the network but not outside.
msantos2007
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Heez wrote:
i got wget to work by properly setting up the gateway and local dns in ddwrt. thanks!

now i have other questions. i currently have a usb stick connected to my wdr4300 and added some movies to test and dlna worked on my xbox one and my sony tv.

now in the near future, i plan on getting a usb hdd. do i have to set it up the same way or do i just have to add the share folders in ddwrt and edit the minidlna.conf to add those shares to the dlna server?

also, do i need to keep the usb stick plugged in at all times or can i remove it once i get my usb hdd?

thanks!

Yes, you can proceed the same way and you can add those shared directories in DD-WRT and minidlna.conf.

Once you'll get a HDD, I suggest you to use only it, so you'd have a free USB port (for Printer, for example).

Keeping the USB flashdrive is mandatory because nothing else besides Startup Commands is stored on the router. You can always place an IF statement on the top of Startup Commands to check if your HDD is plugged and then load the rest of Startup script ("optware.enable"). That way DD-WRT won't be affected whenever running without the HDD.
Heez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
msantos2007 wrote:

Keeping the USB flashdrive is mandatory because nothing else besides Startup Commands is stored on the router. You can always place an IF statement on the top of Startup Commands to check if your HDD is plugged and then load the rest of Startup script ("optware.enable"). That way DD-WRT won't be affected whenever running without the HDD.

ok, so once i get my usb hdd, i install optware and minidlna to it, and i only keep that plugged in?

could you give an example of the "IF" statement i can add to the startup command? thanks!
msantos2007
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, this "how-to" is already meant for that scenario.

Based on Step 3.5, please do the following:

1. Create a directory named "scripts" on "/tmp/mnt/sda2"
2. Create a file named "startup_optware.sh" on "/tmp/mnt/sda2/scripts"
3. Paste the entire code from Step 3.5, removing "sleep 10" command
4. Replace all Startup Commands (DD-WRT Webgui) to this:

Code:

#! /bin/sh
sleep 10
 if [ -f /tmp/mnt/sda1/optware.enable ]; then
  if [ -f /tmp/mnt/sda2/optware.enable ]; then
    sh /tmp/mnt/sda2/scripts/startup_optware.sh &
  else
    exit
  fi
 else
  exit
 fi

Once you get a HDD, you can always lower (or even suppress) any sleep commands, except the one on Startup Command (above), because HDD is faster than a flashdrive. You have to test every change on script, in order to get a faster loading.
juanfdp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 15:30    Post subject: Succefull installed in my Cisco E2100L & 160GBMaxtorOneT Reply with quote
Very good tutorial,
I followed to the letter, but changing the packages respectively for the atheros chipset from page http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09/atheros/generic/packages/, the only thing I like is to update the packages for a newer, I take them to http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/atheros/generic/packages/packages/ but shows me a error line 3: can not open '/ lib / functions.sh

However many thanks
Heez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
thnaks for the startup script. another question about the backup,

Quote:
6.1.1 Run the following, using PuTTY:
Code:

cd /mnt/sda2/
tar -cv -f /tmp/bkp_optware_ddwrt_r24118.tgz

when i run this command, i don't see the .tgz file anywhere. is it supposed to be in /tmp/ right?
msantos2007
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is a "space" and a "dot" at the end (" .").

It needs improvement. Sorry, my bad...
cromaclear
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
hello,

I am new to this forum and follow the instruction to install DLNA+Bittorrent and it worked perfectly. So, first of all, thak you very much for this help.

The question I have is the following:

I made a partition in my hard drive formatted as swap. I know it is not necessary because the router has 128 MB RAM, but just in case.

After plugging the hard drive into the usb slot, the router automatically mount de swap partition. It gives me the following information:

--- /dev/sda2
Block device, size 512 MiB (536870912 bytes)
Linux swap, version 2, subversion 1, 4 KiB pages, little-endian
Swap size 512.0 MiB (536862720 bytes, 131070 pages of 4 KiB)
/dev/sda2 mounted to swap

How can I check if it is really mounted and working because I can't find a /etc/fstab file anywhere in the router??

Do I have to write something in the start script?

thank you very much for your help

Regards
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check this wiki: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linux_SWAP
cromaclear
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
js1662 wrote:
Check this wiki: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linux_SWAP

i have just tried it by using the option of having a swap partition.

it does not work. I am getting this answer from putty

root@DD-WRT:~# /bin/busybox swapon /dev/sda2
root@DD-WRT:~# /bin/busybox free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 126636 114928 11708 0 80904
-/+ buffers: 34024 92612
Swap: 0 0 0

so, i guess, i will try the method of using a file instead a partition

btw, i've got installed this firmware:

Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/20/14) std

regards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 28, 29, 30  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 18 of 30
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: