ASUS RT-AC68U install

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
spinner22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:04    Post subject: Re: Strange Slow VPN Speeds Reply with quote
jondlou wrote:
DD-WRT will hopefully (fingers crossed) get DDTB a.k.a. "Hardware Acceleration" re-implemented in the future. The last build that had it under Kong's files is 24865. It was buggy, so for right now most areas are working without hardware assistance just fine. If you need it, you could "test" the older builds, use the stock firmware, or try Tomato with CTF enabled (same thing). Other than that, DD-WRT may get it implemented after some problems are figured out, so the router is probably not a bad idea, especially if you are patient.

bacon612 wrote:

I am talking about wan speeds but using an encrypted connection. I think ive read that with stock firmware this will route close to 1gbps. But with Openvpn encryption, as the original question was asked, speeds are much lower as the cpu overhead encrypting and decrypting 256 bit traffic on the wan is high. I run a openvpn on my 68u full time and max out at 30mbps even though my wan speed is 45mbps.

Thanks for your replies.

I ended up testing the 68u but with Merlin instead, as that was sufficient for my needs. For some reason I was only able to get around 260mbps wan <-> lan (not using encryption). I never tested with DD-WRT.

I'm sure it should be able to do better, but that combined with me not getting the increased wifi coverage I was hoping for with the 68u, led me to return it and go in another direction.

Instead I've setup an EdgeRouter 5 as a dedicated router along with a dedicated AP, that I can place where it is actually needed.

The ER-5 is currently giving me 950+mbps in speed tests, so quite satisfied with that. I went with the ER-5 instead of ER-3 because of the PoE so that I can feed power to my AP through the network cable.
Sponsor
nanonuclear
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:55    Post subject: Re: Strange Slow VPN Speeds Reply with quote
spinner22 wrote:
...primarily to be able to divert chromestick dns requests...
me too! had no luck running port redirects with ddwrt on an old dlink using it as a WAP... figured I'd just start over here with the latest speeds.
soloam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all, I have been playing with nvram to set some vlans on my rt-ac68u! Now I would like to reset all and return to the defaults! I tried a 30/30/30 reset, but not all configurations retured to defaults (for example vlan#ports). How can I reset all?

Thank you
spinner22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:53    Post subject: Re: Strange Slow VPN Speeds Reply with quote
nanonuclear wrote:
spinner22 wrote:
...primarily to be able to divert chromestick dns requests...
me too! had no luck running port redirects with ddwrt on an old dlink using it as a WAP... figured I'd just start over here with the latest speeds.

The original hack I found involved capturing DNS requests to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.4.4) and redirect them to the DNS server of your liking. Thats were DD-WRT came in.

It turned out it is simply enough to blackhole calls to 8.8.8.8 (.4.4) as that will make the Chromestick ask your dhcp-server for the default DNS server.

So a simple routing-rule to divert calls to 8.8.8.8 into nothing is enough, and can be done in most firmwares.
sandreuta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can someone please tell me where can I see the physical interfaces names on ac68u running dd-wrt v24-sp2?
I don't know what's eth0, eth1, eth2.
jehturner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've had build 25203 running lightly loaded for a week after fairly minimal setup and so far it has been stable.
rickmav3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
sandreuta wrote:
Can someone please tell me where can I see the physical interfaces names on ac68u running dd-wrt v24-sp2?
I don't know what's eth0, eth1, eth2.

Check this: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Iptables_command#Interfaces
TCkDfz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just upgraded to r25309. I hope it fixes the sporadic reboots.

I purchased a serial to usb cable so I can capture a crash dump but I can't figure out how to open the case. I pried the front of the case loose but it appears to be attached by at least two screws that I can't see where they're attached. I've search the forums, youtube, and google for instructions but haven't been able to find any. If you know how or where some instructions are please let me know. I think I know how to capture the crash dump but if you know how or where some instructions are please let me know about that too. Thanks!

LATEST BrainSlayer FIRMWARE --> https://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads?path=betas%2F2016%2F
LATEST Kong FIRMWARE --> http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/
Don't perform the 30/30/30 reset! If the "mtd-erase -d nvram" command doesn't work try "nvram erase."
INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS: http://miketabor.com/installing-dd-wrt-asus-rt-ac66u-router/
SStreetWolf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="jehturner"][quote="RMerlin"][quote="Kris404"]
Kris404 wrote:
- CPU temperature varies between 76C & 78C, not sure if this is normal [CPU 77.5 °C / WL0 51.00 °C / WL1 50.50 °C]

I am able to achieve CPU 46.4 °C / WL0 36.50 °C / WL1 37.10 °C with the hot router upgrade kit - see below.

IMG_2142.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.97 KB
 Viewed:  15399 Time(s)

IMG_2142.JPG

donmontalvo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry if you guys have heard this question enough times to be annoying.

I've been poking around this thread for days and my eyes are crossed. LOL

What's the most stable version of DD-WRT for the ASUS RT-AC68U?

donmontalvo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
TCkDfz wrote:
24865M was the most stable one so far.!

Just curious, where can we find these builds?[/b]

TCkDfz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just upgraded to r25408. I hope it fixes the sporadic reboots.

I purchased a serial to usb cable so I can capture a crash dump but I can't figure out how to open the case. I pried the front of the case loose but it appears to be attached by at least two screws that I can't see where they're attached. I've search the forums, youtube, and google for instructions but haven't been able to find any. If you know how or where some instructions are please let me know. I think I know how to capture the crash dump but if you know how or where some instructions are please let me know about that too. Thanks!

LATEST BrainSlayer FIRMWARE --> https://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads?path=betas%2F2016%2F
Don't perform the 30/30/30 reset! If the "mtd-erase -d nvram" command doesn't work try "nvram erase."
INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS: http://miketabor.com/installing-dd-wrt-asus-rt-ac66u-router/
donmontalvo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
TCkDfz wrote:
I just upgraded to r25408. I hope it fixes the sporadic reboots.

Is there an FTP link or download site?

Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just hit 48 hours of up-time on r25408. When I first loaded it I couldn't watch Netflix on my Apple TV without it stopping to buffer. I didn't have any problems using Remote Desktop on my laptop so it could have just been a Netflix issue. I decided to erase my NVRAM and manually re-enter my configuration. (I make a backup file and backup pdf of each screen when I make a change.) If you're already running DD-WRT this starts at step 7 in the install instructions in my signature.

I sometimes do this after firmware updates and think doing this is a good idea whenever things are behaving unexpectedly. One benefit is I discovered a new setting that wasn't listed the last time I did it. Don't forget to backup/restore your WAN Traffic/ttraff data if you monitor it.

Two days of up-time isn't unprecedented but it's a good sign. I'm optimistic and hoping this is going to be the best version yet.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 68, 69, 70  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 56 of 70
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: