ASUS RT-AC68U install

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
tsynik
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 23:23    Post subject: Re: question Reply with quote
Chrisachi wrote:
Dose anyone know of any guides to unlocking the 12,13, and 14 wifi channels for this model on ddwrt

Isn't switching region settings to US or Singapore for example and reboot helps?
Sponsor
ibrewster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 15:16    Post subject: Use broadcom K2.x/k3.x builds? Reply with quote
My typical procedure with older (N only) Asus routers has been that after flashing the router-specific build, I then flash one of the generic broadcom k2.x/k3.x mega builds. Would that be a good idea with this router as well, or should I stick with the router-specific build?

My main goal is to get OpenVPN support, as I use it to connect to my office.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 16:30    Post subject: Re: Use broadcom K2.x/k3.x builds? Reply with quote
ibrewster wrote:
My typical procedure with older (N only) Asus routers has been that after flashing the router-specific build, I then flash one of the generic broadcom k2.x/k3.x mega builds. Would that be a good idea with this router as well, or should I stick with the router-specific build?

Stick with the build labeled for the rt-ac68. Unless it's a kong build.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 16:56    Post subject: Re: Use broadcom K2.x/k3.x builds? Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
ibrewster wrote:

Stick with the build labeled for the rt-ac68. Unless it's a kong build.

Roger that. I'm not familiar with the kong builds, so unless the router-specific build is a mini or something that doesn't do what I need, I'll follow your advice. Thanks! Smile
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Look at the size of the file for your router. It's as big as it gets.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Look at the size of the file for your router. It's as big as it gets.

Good point Very Happy At over 20MB, it's actually significantly larger than the "generic" broadcom builds. Yeah, I'm sure that'll be fine. Thanks again!
zenoparadox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
cdmarshall wrote:
I am having odd drop out issues on my 5gig AC side. it doesn't last long and most may not even notice it.but it drops out and oddly it looks less like a WIFI issue and more of a bridge issue. I.E. the WIFI seems to stay connected but the Internet is not available. Things that are hardwired to the router never lose connectivity so it seems to be something inside the router between the WAN interface and the WIFI.

Like i said it only lasts a few seconds but seems to be consistent in that it continually occurs when under load such as large downloads or video conferencing. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this with the newest build on this router. Or if I should pursue hacking up the router to figure it out.

I have the a similar issue with ASUS's own firmware (latest version) on my AC68U. When the problem occurs, if you ping the router's address on the wireless network, what results do you get? When I try it here, I get a lot of dropped packets or there is no response whatsoever for a while. The wireless seems to still be up, however.

I've been thinking of switching to dd-wrt as a last attempt to salvage this router before writing it off as a loss. (Too late for a return.)
cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
on the latest dd-wrt version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/27/15) std the issue has not been present give it a shot.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 21:20    Post subject: Which file to flash? Reply with quote
I've been running for a while using Kong's 24345 build on my AC68U. Very stable (100+ day uptimes) and not lacking any features I actually use. However, thinking about test driving a newer BS release mainly to test the updated wifi drivers. The question is, which of the following files to flash:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/04-01-2015-r26635/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-26635_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin

or

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/04-01-2015-r26635/asus-rt-ac68u/asus_rt-ac68u-firmware.trx

Also, can I flash using the webgui from a Kong build directly to a BS build? I am planning to erase nvram either way. I have backed up my config already so going back shouldn't be an issue.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use the BS build specifically for this router not a generic. you should be able to just use the web gui but do and Erase Nvram before and after the upgrade. I would also not do a restore on your backup as the NVRAM structure changed slightly and you will crash the route.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
cdmarshall wrote:
I use the BS build specifically for this router not a generic. you should be able to just use the web gui but do and Erase Nvram before and after the upgrade. I would also not do a restore on your backup as the NVRAM structure changed slightly and you will crash the route.

So use the .trx file from the asus-rt-ac68u directory? It was my understanding that the .trx files were only for initial flash and, once on dd-wrt, update using .bin files.

Thanks for the help.
cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
once DD-WRT is installed you can use BIN but its best to use the one specifically for your router unless you are all set to do Serial recovery, not the using the ones for your router totally prevents that need from time to time.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
That sounds good to me. I don't want to create any additional issues by flashing the generic BIN instead of the ac68u specific .trx file.

Thanks.
hanson1979
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
As you can see from file size it's recommended to use the specific .trx file for that router. It has nearly 30 MB compared to around 8 MB of a generic build. The only exception is when you want to use one of kong's test builds. They're generic .bin files but also much bigger sized...

Good luck hanson

Firmware: Most recent BS or kong build

http://www.sysprofile.de/id14688
http://www.sysprofile.de/id184670
tangsoft
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
to get ttl access without open the cover every time:

IMG_2825.JPG
 Description:
rt-ac68u ttl extender
 Filesize:  1.4 MB
 Viewed:  13710 Time(s)

IMG_2825.JPG

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 66 of 70
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: