ASUS RT-AC68U install

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
ebumblebee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I updated to 25408 on my 68U a few days ago and since then, it stops responding (no access to GUI) and wireless networks go down twice. A power cycle fixes it. While it's in it's 'hung' state, the LEDs on the front still flash away.

Quick question, is downgrading to a previous release the same as upgrading? e.g. just load the file through the GUI? no downgrade-specific procedure?

secondly, is there a way to grab logs from this unit or set something up that survivies a reboot? Before this version my router was rock solid (I forget the previous one I was on, i'll check when I get home)
cheers Smile
Sponsor
TCkDfz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hit 3 days 30 minutes of up-time on r25408 when it rebooted. If it doesn't start rebooting sooner this will be the most stable version I've tried so far.

ebumblebee wrote:
Quick question, is downgrading to a previous release the same as upgrading? e.g. just load the file through the GUI? no downgrade-specific procedure?

secondly, is there a way to grab logs from this unit or set something up that survivies a reboot?

I don't know of a specific downgrade procedure but using the older firmware file will work. Afterwards I recommend you clear the nvram and either restore a backup from the SAME version or set it up manually. Never restore a backup from a different version. As I said in an earlier post, I make a backup file and pdf print of each screen after changes. For the backup files I name them by the firmware version and date.

I haven't found any articles about logs on the unit that will survive a reboot. I have my unit setup to send logs to a Kiwi Syslog but the logs are so basic they're not of much use. In an earlier post Kong said he needed a serial crash dump to troubleshoot the sporadic reboots. I purchased a serial cable but can't figure out how to open the unit. I've pried the face loose but there are two screws holding it on and I can't see how they're attached. Other than the the syslogs and serial logs there are the traffic logs that can be viewed/backed up/restored under "Status | WAN" if you've enabled them under Services called WAN Traffic Counter/ttraff Daemon.

LATEST BrainSlayer FIRMWARE --> https://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads?path=betas%2F2016%2F
LATEST Kong FIRMWARE --> http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/
Don't perform the 30/30/30 reset! If the "mtd-erase -d nvram" command doesn't work try "nvram erase."
INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS: http://miketabor.com/installing-dd-wrt-asus-rt-ac66u-router/
kmg90
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been on 25309 for about 2 and half weeks...

I've only experienced one unexpected reboot at the time of posting I'm almost on 14 days uptime.
jimmijam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 0:52    Post subject: RT-AC68U (Hardware Version A2) Issue Reply with quote
I was able to update (via TCkDfz's How-To in his signature) from stock to BrainSlayer's R25408 with no issues, but in updating to Kong's 25015-SP1 it seems to be frozen.

Fails to assign an IP address to any device via physical LAN connection on any of the 4 ports. Both Wi-Fi and USB indicators are off.

Have tried the 30/30/30 and noticed power indicator was off for 30-45 seconds, then came on... only to disappear again. This happened as a cycle for in excess of 10 minutes as I let it sit for a while before I unplugged the power to do a cold start.

Edit: Attached clipped SS of browser after Post-Kong update reboot.

post-kong.png
 Description:
Browser Screen (Post-Kong Update Reboot)
 Filesize:  50.75 KB
 Viewed:  19536 Time(s)

post-kong.png

gapmedia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:05    Post subject: Sorry that didn't work but... Reply with quote
How was firmware r25408??? Is that an improvement over the previous?
troels
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:22    Post subject: Re: RT-AC68U (Hardware Version A2) Issue Reply with quote
jimmijam wrote:
I was able to update (via TCkDfz's How-To in his signature) from stock to BrainSlayer's R25408 with no issues, but in updating to Kong's 25015-SP1 it seems to be frozen.

Fails to assign an IP address to any device via physical LAN connection on any of the 4 ports. Both Wi-Fi and USB indicators are off.

Have tried the 30/30/30 and noticed power indicator was off for 30-45 seconds, then came on... only to disappear again. This happened as a cycle for in excess of 10 minutes as I let it sit for a while before I unplugged the power to do a cold start.

Edit: Attached clipped SS of browser after Post-Kong update reboot.

Power on with the wps button pressed - keep it pressed for 10-15 seconds. Reboot several times if necessary. The message you see is a cached one. Means no connection to router. If everything fails use the restore facility.
TCkDfz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
After several days on r25408 I can unfortunately report that it suffers from the sporadic reboots. I got lucky that the first one was after three days but after that I've had some that were only after a few hours.

Kong said in an earlier post that he needed a serial crash dump to troubleshoot the sporadic reboots. I purchased a serial cable but can't figure out how to open the unit. I've pried the face loose but there are two screws holding it on and I can't see how they're attached. If anyone can provide information about them I can provide the crash boot Kong needs to resolve the issue.

I've seen many posts not to use the 30/30/30 reset on Asus and several other routers. Some posts cautioned that it can brick newer routers. The documentation on the 30/30/30 reset says the purpose is to clear the NVRAM/restore the defaults. For the RT-AC68U the install instructions in my signature do that without using a 30/30/30 reset.

If your router won't boot because of a firmware update or incompatible settings you should be able to easily recover. If you haven't disabled the default "Boot Wait" there are 10 seconds during the boot process that will allow you to install new firmware from the web page GUI. If you do a continuous ping to your router while it's booting up (ping 192.168.1.1 -t). You'll notice that at first you won't get a reply, next you'll get 10 seconds of replies with a TTL of 100, then no replies, followed by replies with a TTL of 64 if the DD-WRT has loaded. When you see the replies with a TTL of 100 you have to quickly go to/refresh the web page GUI (JUST http://192.168.1.1) to see the page where you can install the new firmware. After the new firmware is installed and you can get to the DD-WRT web page GUI I'd highly recommend you erase the NVRAM (starts with step 7 in the install link in my signature) and restore the config if you have a previous backup from the SAME firmware version or manually set it up and make a backup.

LATEST BrainSlayer FIRMWARE --> https://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads?path=betas%2F2016%2F
LATEST Kong FIRMWARE --> http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/
Don't perform the 30/30/30 reset! If the "mtd-erase -d nvram" command doesn't work try "nvram erase."
INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS: http://miketabor.com/installing-dd-wrt-asus-rt-ac66u-router/
Frank_H
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
TCkDfz wrote:
I try to be a responsible Internet Citizen and contribute for the greater good. I have a serial cable but can't find the screws to open the router so I can attach it for capturing a crash dump. If anyone knows please help so I can provide the information for the group. Thanks.

I have googled for you and found these photo's and links:
--
http://nl.hardware.info/productinfo/200004/asus-rt-ac68u#tab:fotos
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/63686-asus-rt-ac68u-pce-ac68-802-11ac-review-2.html
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=13347
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19868

Especially the last link might be of interest. Screws behind the sticker.

Do you have a link of the cable you bought?
jimmijam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
troels wrote:
Power on with the wps button pressed - keep it pressed for 10-15 seconds. Reboot several times if necessary. The message you see is a cached one. Means no connection to router. If everything fails use the restore facility.

I've tried this to no avail. Even tried power on with WPS pressed for 15 secs, then power off and on again with WPS still pressed 4-5 times. Would the restore facility you speak of be the firmware restore GUI?

TCkDfz wrote:
When you see the replies with a TTL of 100 you have to quickly go to/refresh the web page GUI (JUST http://192.168.1.1) to see the page where you can install the new firmware.

I unfortunately did the 30/30/30 before I posted my original message but don't think that I bricked it. I'm a long time user of DD-WRT and have known 30/30/30 to be the magic fix. I did the continuous ping and saw it respond with a TTL of 100 but only for a 1-2 seconds. Was able to get the firmware restore GUI up but am unable to load the BrainSlayer firmware.

Attached screenshots for you to view.

Any other suggestions?

cfe.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.07 KB
 Viewed:  19133 Time(s)

cfe.png

ping.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  137.61 KB
 Viewed:  19133 Time(s)

ping.png

Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try the firmware recovery tool. You can download it from asus.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Try the firmware recovery tool. You can download it from asus.

Last time I looked I could not find it there. Only for RT-AC66U - can one use that? I can upload the RT-AC68U recovery tool somewhere if needed. Does it come on a DVD with the router?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can use it. It doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi.

I'm very new to DD-WRT. I just got Asus RT-AC68U (H/W ver. A1) and I'm interested in installing DD-WRT on it.

Router support page directed me to asus_rt-ac68u-firmware.trx (v24 PreSP2 [Beta] Build: 23940) image and supported devices list pointed to this thread ("Firmware on forum"). Sorry if it's an obvious question, but I didn't see RT-AC68 listed in hardware specific pages so I didn't find detailed instruction for installing it. Can you please point me to needed steps? Is the above image correct one and is it stable (it's marked as beta?).

Thanks!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here. ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2014/12-03-2014-r25544/asus-rt-ac68u/
Reset your router to factory defaults, flash that file through the asus upgrade page.
After it has dd-ddwrt on it, log in using username: root, password: admin. Reset it yo factory defaults, log on again and set it up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Here. ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2014/12-03-2014-r25544/asus-rt-ac68u/
Reset your router to factory defaults, flash that file through the asus upgrade page.
After it has dd-ddwrt on it, log in using username: root, password: admin. Reset it yo factory defaults, log on again and set it up.

Thanks! Is that build work in progress? Any subsequent update will require similar reflashing again, or it can perform an OTA update after the first install? And how can I track these updates and details on them, follow this thread?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 68, 69, 70  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 57 of 70
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: