**SLOVED**Unable to setup Client Mode correctly - WR841ND V8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
ankitrana
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 17:52    Post subject: **SLOVED**Unable to setup Client Mode correctly - WR841ND V8 Reply with quote
Hi All,

I have a TP link Archer C20 router which I use to host my external HDD on my home network. Recently I moved to a bigger house and facing some connection issues with my PS4.

I know my router is not the best but I have two spare routers so thought to use one of them as a client and plug ps4 in LAN port to resolve the connection issues. So I used TP Link WR841ND V8 to do so.

Now the connection issue is resolved but facing following issues and observations:
My PS4 does not detect my home network HDD, the way it works is to go to media player and it detects for media servers, which works if I connect directly to wireless home network but not via the client router

Youtube app on ps4 no longer connects to my phone's youtube app (I guess since they are not on the same wifi that's why)

from my laptop connected to client router I can open the same USB HDD via FTP:\\IP address

Any device on home network can not open up web gui of the client router

My home network is configured on 2.4GHZ band
IP 192.168.1.1 (subnet 255.255.255.0)
Client router is setup as Client bridge (Routed)
LAN IP 192.168.1.33 (subnet 255.255.255.0) and connected to home wifi network
WAN port is disabled in client bridge mode

I am not a networking professional so will highly appreciate if you can provide inputs and on how I can set it up correctly.

Thanks in advance... Smile

Last edited by ankitrana on Tue Mar 21, 2017 18:01; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
mh3g
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
On client bridge routed the lan ip of router client with ddwrt must be in other subnet. See the screenshot. My router ip is 192.168.1.1, my router client with ddwrt 192.168.2.1. This i s the correct config.

For the lan not working:
1) log in to your router IP. "192.168.1.---"
2) on DD-WRT GUI, select ADMINISTRATION
3) enter password
4) select COMMANDS
5) in commands box enter the following on each line

code:
swconfig dev eth0 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev eth0 set apply

6) below the box click RUN COMMAND
7) If this runs without error, then lastly click SAVE TO STARTUP.

Wink
ankitrana
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:33    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote
Hi Thanks for your response, however may I ask you why do you want my client router to have a different subnet IP, currently
Home router LAN IP: 192.168.1.1
Client Router LAN IP: 192.168.1.33 >> you want to have it as >> 192.168.2.1

If you can, please enlighten me as to why they need to have different subnet IPs?

Also my home network router (IP 192.168.1.1) does not have DD WRT firmware, it is running on TP link original firmware, so I do not think I can add the commands you mentioned. Sad
mh3g
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read this https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/relayclient

Try to change the ip address in the router with ddwrt with 192.168.2.1 and restart. My five routers, all atheros, work with this configuration. All the client attached to client router are connected in the same subnet of the base router, in this case 192.168.1.1.
Disable dhcp e firewall in client router with ddwrt
With the same subnet they don't work in client bridge routed mode. Wink
edit: patch for lan is for the ddwrt router
ankitrana
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
mh3g wrote:
Read this https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/relayclient

Damn That is way to much information for me Razz
I can not even wrap my head around it. Nevertheless this is what I will do

On the client router I will disable DHCP and Firewall and apply the commands
Code:

so the WAN port needs to be enabled and have IP of same subnet as the main router, LAN IP needs to be of different subnet, DHCP needs to be disabled and so is Firewall

this way the devices on the LAN port of client router will be on same subnet of main router...

I hope I got it right!!

EDIT: I got this after doing some search, will it work?
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged
mh3g
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
In my experience client bridge routed mode work only with ip on different subnet.
After the help you have tried if it works? You really need help?
ramblin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read the Open WRT post and admit this is the first I`ve seen this setup. Before switching to WDS I used client bridge for years and always set the AP to 192.168.1.1 and Client bridge to 192.168.1.2. The Open WRT post indicates that the lan port may not work like this. With the bridge set at 1.2 wireless and lan will both work.
mh3g
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is my config. See the screenshot.

Router adsl Asus DSL-N12E_C1 ip 192.168.1.1
Router client TP-Link TL-WR841ND v9 ip 192.168.2.1
Wireless mode Client bridge (routed)
Firewall,wan and dhcp disabled
Wpa2 AES encryption
All peripherals connected in the same subnet of adsl router (192.168.1.xxx), wireless and wired, each device sees other.

Cheers
ankitrana
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:17    Post subject: All in Vain Reply with quote
Ok i did change the LAN IP address to 192.168.2.1, however that does not make any difference. My problem is still as it is.

Here is the current setup of the network see attached Image.

I am still not able to connect to the media server on my PS4 if i connect to client router, i can see my other devices on the network from my laptop which is not the problem. If i connect directly to the home wifi network everything works fine!!!

I hope you understand the issue here, i am happy to change the mode to something else if it promises to work, may be repeater mode but i do not know and seeking help!!
mh3g
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
For media server shared folder try inserting manually //Serverip/nameofshare.
In my net Buffalo and Iomega Nas with media server are visible. Depending on your hardware?
This patch for lan in the tplink841?

edit: you have an old old old version of firmware, this is the problem, please install a new firmware on 841nd, release 27506 or 30731, more stable

Last edited by mh3g on Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:49; edited 1 time in total
mh3g
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is my bridge automatic config.
ankitrana
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
mh3g wrote:
For media server shared folder try inserting manually //Serverip/nameofshare.
In my net Buffalo and Iomega Nas with media server are visible. Depending on your hardware?
This patch for lan in the tplink841?

edit: you have an old old old version of firmware, this is the problem, please install a new firmware on 841nd, release 27506 or 30731, more stable

Ok so let me answer both questions
1. Can add manually server ip on laptop, but that was never a prob, remember the problem is Ps4 does not detect the media server and does not have manual option

2. I checked the FTP server but there is no new update on stable releases, are you suggesting to use beta version??

3. I will reapply the patch once upgrade to later firmware version, if required
ankitrana
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 17:59    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote
Ok I think I got the resolution, there were two things I had to do

1. Get the correct firmware flashed, I had "Factory to DD WRT" flashed, after being mentioned that I need to have correct firmware, I found that there was one more firmware file that I did not pay attention to. I flashed client router with "tl-wr841nd-webflash.bin"

2. I used your patch for LAN, and It worked,\
Code:

Strangely this patch was not available anywhere I looked.

Thank you so much for making this patch command available. it is working fine now!

PS. I do not have different subnet on client router, it is working with same subnet as well different subnet. I guess it does not make any difference as you are not using DHCP of client router anyway.
mh3g
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
In my config only one DHCP server from the router connected to internet. In ddwrt router, wan, DHCP and firewall disabled. One dhcp server to avoid IP conflicts. For the rest if the problem is solved better that way. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: