Microsoft Surface Pro - Slow downloads, fast uploads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Geminiman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 0:18    Post subject: Microsoft Surface Pro - Slow downloads, fast uploads Reply with quote
I know you're going to say it's Microsoft's fault, but if you look online most of the people complaining about slow wireless with the surface pro are actually using DD-WRT.

Anyone figured out a work around for how to get the surface pro to be fast on the network?

Thanks!
Sponsor
drewbot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I noticed this too on the Microsoft Surface Pro. I was only getting 2.5mbit down from Speedtest.net, but was able to use my full upload speed of 10mbit up.

Looking on the dd-wrt wireless status page, the TX was pegged at 5M while RX being 130M for my Surface Pro device. The only way I was able to increase it was to set Wireless Network Mode to G-only. Then both TX and RX were 54M and I was able to use my internet connection to the full extent..

I've heard some luck switching to Tomato, but haven't tried this myself yet. I also wasn't having this behavior on stock firmware (Using Cisco Valet M20 dd-wrt.v24-22118_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_nokaid_small same for 21061).
skrubol
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm also seeing this behavior on both bands of my Netgear WNDR3400 (rev1.)
I get about 400 kBps down, but much faster up. I get 2-4 MBps down on another (non WRT) n-lite router I'm using as an AP.
Oddly, the low download speeds on the 2.4GHz band are both on my local network and Internet, whereas on the 5GHz band, I can about saturate my cable modem on downloads, (over 4MBps. 37Mbps on speedtest,) but accessing stuff on my local network I'm limited to the 400ish kBps.
Other devices (like my phone) have more consistent performance.
I don't know what my bandwidth was before flashing WRT, but it was significantly faster.

Oh, and I've messed with security settings, N only, G only, A only, etc, nothing really had an effect.
DutchmanIII
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can confirm this.

Surface and a Surface Pro 2 both have dramatically decreased download speed compared to other devices on the network.

this is true for two different networks with a E2500 and E4200, respectively both running Fractal's 23040.

I've tried any number of different settings. Any ideas?
Viros
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:49    Post subject: My findings Reply with quote
I'm using a Surface Pro (1st gen) and my dd-wrt page is showing 135M TX rate and 270M RX rate.

I'm connected on 5GHz (set to N-only) on a Linksys e4200(v1) with build 23320 K3.0 mega. I'm also completely up-to-date on the Surface firmware updates from Microsoft (they often include Wi-Fi fixes in there).

Hope this info helps anyone diagnose their problems!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Add my vote to this. I've experienced this on my Dell Venue 8 Pro which is a Windows 8.1 tablet. Here's a repeat of what I wrote on another forum:

Source: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/dell/62086-dell-venue-pro-8-slow-download-fast-upload-via-wifi.html

I have a 50 megabits down / 10 megabits up Internet connection.

I noticed my download speed being abysmal so I ran a speed test I'm consistently getting 1.5-2.5 megabits down but getting my full 10-11 megabits upload speed (via Speedtest.net). I get a consistent 57 megabits down when using my wired desktop connection.

These are the following things I've tried:

1.) Disabling WMM on my Asus RT-N16 router running DD-WRT (half a megabit improvement)
2.) Resetting TCP/IP via netsh (no improvement)
3.) Reset TCP/IP Autotunning, as described here (no improvement): http://fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/10/how-to-fix-limited-or-no-connectivity-wi-fi-issues-in-windows-8/#.U1BJBvldXhJ
4.) Set my Wifi 2.4ghz Channel Width to 40mhz (this doubled my download speed to an average of 5 megabits but still a fraction of what it should be, and I don't like running at 40mhz channel width since the speeds tends to fluctuate a lot more when using with my laptop)
5.) Revert to earlier Wifi driver (no improvement, currently running the latest from Dell)
6.) Connecting to a neighbor's open Netgear Router Wifi running stock firmware (1 megabit improvement).

As a secondary issue I have an Airlink 101 802.11g router running stock firmware configured as a regular access point but trying to connect to that I only get either limited connectivity on the Venue Pro (access to local resources, but not internet), or sometimes full connectivity but still no Internet access.

No other computer/laptop/netbook/tablet/phone/tv/etc.. in my household exhibits these problems.

But when I connected to a Netgear router running stock firmware I saw no real improvement.

Well I took a 3rd router I had laying around, an identical one to my main router, an Asus RT-N16 and I flashed that to Asuswrt-Merlin, which is based on the stock firmware. I configured it to AP only mode and when I connect to that access point my downloads are from 40-50+ megabits, where they should be. So it sounds like the WiFi built into the Venue Pro 8 has a bunch of compatibility issues with DD-WRT and some older router models, hopefully these can be resolved via updates from Dell/Microsoft/Intel.

Update: A friend of mine with an Atheros (mine is Broadcom) based DD-WRT router doesn't have these issues with his Dell Venue 8 Pro.

Update 2: Another possible work-around is to set the router to B/G (though you lose N speed, source: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=67542930&postcount=901)
BrainiakZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same issues the others are reporting.

Surface Pro 2

Office with e3000 + DDWRT

Home with e4200 + DDWRT

5 Megabit max down... sending no problem.

Just wanted to +vote this if anyone has a solution. What is strange is, my Galaxy S4 when my surface pro 2 is on, also gets horrible down. Very strange.
DutchmanIII
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
well, after playing with all the settings and combinations I finally gave up and flashed AdvancedTomato.

although it hurt me a bit to abandon dd-wrt, i do enjoy the full bandwidth on my surface.

I've made the change on my E4200v1. Havent tried on my E2500 or RE1000 yet.

Edit: firmware issue has been fixed in latest release
BrainiakZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Struggling considering moving to AdvancedTomato... I like DD-WRT so much. How do you like it since the move? Maybe I will do the same thing.
RedRover
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 15:10    Post subject: Same Issue. Reply with quote
I also am noticing this frustrating speed limitation to ~5mbps down with the Surface 2. I run the latest Standard Kong on my E1200 Linksys/Cisco. WPA2, AES only, OpenDNS, N/G network.

Any solutions? Considering Tomato or returning to stock.

MongooseProXC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anyone tried the Comcast fix?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Comcast_download_speed_fix_for_Linksys_eSeries

I never used to have any problem with any devices and do not even subscribe to Comcast. However, when I bought it, my LG G2 had awful wireless speeds that were remedied by this fix.

BrainiakZ wrote:
Struggling considering moving to AdvancedTomato... I like DD-WRT so much. How do you like it since the move? Maybe I will do the same thing.

My wife's Galaxy S4 had wifi disconnect issues with tomatousb. That made me return to DD-WRT, which in the end, seems better anyway. Save your settings in a backup file and give it a whirl. You can always return to DD-WRT by flashing a trailed build.
RedRover
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:11    Post subject: Re: Same Issue. Reply with quote
RedRover wrote:
I also am noticing this frustrating speed limitation to ~5mbps down with the Surface 2. I run the latest Standard Kong on my E1200 Linksys/Cisco. WPA2, AES only, OpenDNS, N/G network.

Any solutions? Considering Tomato or returning to stock.

I was able to successfully resolve my issue by flashing my router from DD-WRT back to stock Linksys (E1200 v2) firmware. Interestingly my internet speeds on the Surface 2 are faster than my other devices using speediest.net (~43 Mbps on a quoted 30 Mbps network). I have WMM disabled.

I have also wondered if disabling IPv6 will help as I have read several threads around the internet. You may wish to try this. Tell me if you find DD-WRT to once again be a viable solution![/b]

mac913
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
My main gateway is the E3000 router and it has K26 KONGVPN version 22000++ and when I run the command...
iptables -t mangle -L -v -n

I have one for DSCP listed (with no script commands added)...

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 305K packets, 278M bytes)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination
3204 2147K DSCP 0 -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 DSCP match !0x00 DSCP set 0x00

Which tells me that DD-WRT is automatically making the correct changes to DSCP on the outbound wan. To make changes to the inbound wan I added this firewall script...

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i `nvram get wan_ifname` -j DSCP --set-dscp 0

Now I have DSCP setup to zero on both inbound (PreRouting) and outbound (PostRouting) WAN packets....

Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 215K packets, 191M bytes)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination
137K 175M DSCP 0 -- vlan2 * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 DSCP set 0x00

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 212K packets, 194M bytes)
205 19013 DSCP 0 -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 DSCP match !0x00 DSCP set 0x00

Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & WireGuard - DDWRT r54517 Std
E3000 - Station Bridge - DDWRT r49626 Mega K4.4

Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - DDWRT r54517 Std
E2000 - Wired ISP IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531

YAMon 3.4.6 | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
torankusu
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi All,

The issue is with DDWRT and the wireless adapter on the tablet/computer. Most likely Broadcom chipset routers. if i flash my router with stock firmware wireless is fine.

A quick fix/workaround is to set your router (ddwrt) to b/g only on the 2.4 GHz or flash to stock firmware.

I have the same issue but with a dell venue 8 pro. Patiently awaiting for a fix. I'm using a pocket size tp-link as an AP in the meanwhile.

I hope this help someone and arise the attention of one of the developers, to see if it can be fixed.
destn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I managed to get higher download speeds by changing the "MIMO - Transmission Fixed Rate" to 15-270.

Needs further testing, however.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: