WRT54G V2.- PROBLEMS and Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
imajakov
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 18:33    Post subject: WRT54G V2.- PROBLEMS and Questions Reply with quote
I have a Linksys WRT54G V 2.0
I am trying to extend my wireless network as a repeater.I went on both youtube for help installing DD-wrt as well as on here. I followed the Peacock statement to the best of my ability.I choose Repeater Bridge wireless mode( since repeater doesnt work) I use WPA2 personal key to go with my primary router( Asus rt-ns66u)

I disabled the firewall
I gave the router/repeater a new SSID
I have the connection type+DCHP disabled
I gave it a new LAN IP address
I choose Router or Gateway in the operating mode

I have tried several different DD-wrt builds including a brainslayer one that is supposed to be stable . as well as both micro and mini build

With any of them IT works amazing- when its working Great range and my streaming video buffers fast! Even better range than my Asus repeater( RT-66u)

But when I try to watch some streaming video on it. such as Netflix, within 5-20 minutes the Wifi signal coming from this router just totally disappears...then it comes back on a minute. I have to either reset it( which gives me another 20 minutes) or it may reset itself.Still its very annoying.

Could this be a router problem ?Not enough Ram? Could this model be have issues anyway? bad capacitors? or could I be doing something wrong in th DD-WRT settings.

I looked everywhere for answers and theres very little info on my router( v2)

Also if it is the router, can anyone find me a cheap one under 20 bucks or so( on amazon marketplace) that is very stable using DD-wrt and it can be used for streaming video without resetting like this does?

is DIR-665 stable without any connection issues as a repeater with DD-WRT?
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:35    Post subject: Re: WRT54G V2.- PROBLEMS and Questions Reply with quote
imajakov wrote:
I have a Linksys WRT54G V 2.0
I am trying to extend my wireless network as a repeater.I went on both youtube for help installing DD-wrt as well as on here. I followed the Peacock statement to the best of my ability.I choose Repeater Bridge wireless mode( since repeater doesnt work) I use WPA2 personal key to go with my primary router( Asus rt-ns66u)

I disabled the firewall
I gave the router/repeater a new SSID
I have the connection type+DCHP disabled
I gave it a new LAN IP address
I choose Router or Gateway in the operating mode

I have tried several different DD-wrt builds including a brainslayer one that is supposed to be stable . as well as both micro and mini build

With any of them IT works amazing- when its working Great range and my streaming video buffers fast! Even better range than my Asus repeater( RT-66u)

But when I try to watch some streaming video on it. such as Netflix, within 5-20 minutes the Wifi signal coming from this router just totally disappears...then it comes back on a minute. I have to either reset it( which gives me another 20 minutes) or it may reset itself.Still its very annoying.

Could this be a router problem ?Not enough Ram? Could this model be have issues anyway? bad capacitors? or could I be doing something wrong in th DD-WRT settings.

I looked everywhere for answers and theres very little info on my router( v2)

Also if it is the router, can anyone find me a cheap one under 20 bucks or so( on amazon marketplace) that is very stable using DD-wrt and it can be used for streaming video without resetting like this does?

is DIR-665 stable without any connection issues as a repeater with DD-WRT?

You don't say what FW build you are running on the V2 unit...but build 14929 std definitely has Repeater mode working...and I never saw any issues with wifi dropping every 20 minutes on that build.

If it truly is the router causing it...then unfortunately you will need to upgrade to a newer router. That old V2 is getting to be 10-12+ years old now. It could also be congestion controll issues...try another TCP congestion control scheme.

redhawk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 14:51    Post subject: problems Reply with quote
I have trouble locating the TCP congestion control
its not shown on the administation tab.

I am using currently

DD-WRT v24 (05/20/0Cool std - build 9517M Eko

If it is the router, then can you recommend a cheap one i could install DD-wrt?

and if so which build to use that is most stable?
what about the one i mentioned?would that easily handle netflix streaming even at hd?
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 21:47    Post subject: Re: problems Reply with quote
imajakov wrote:
I have trouble locating the TCP congestion control
its not shown on the administation tab.

I am using currently

DD-WRT v24 (05/20/0Cool std - build 9517M Eko

If it is the router, then can you recommend a cheap one i could install DD-wrt?

and if so which build to use that is most stable?
what about the one i mentioned?would that easily handle netflix streaming even at hd?

upgrade it...use 14929 std build...see if that helps you out on that old V2....it actually runs pretty good.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 14:24    Post subject: okay Reply with quote
okay ill try that build
thanks. Ill know in a couple days and get back to you.

Your help is much appreciated
mikk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 14:31    Post subject: r14929 build for wrt 54G v2 ? Reply with quote
When you say try 14929 std build, I can only find :-
Downloads › others › eko › BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 › 2010 › 08-12-10-r14929 for wrt54g2v11-firmware.bin but is this compatible with my wrt 54G ver.2 ?
My wrt 54GS RB is a bit flaky with v24_mini so will test RB on a 54G.[/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: