[SOLVED] Looking for wiki to create wifi bridge from wired

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
preginald
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:09    Post subject: [SOLVED] Looking for wiki to create wifi bridge from wired Reply with quote
Hi folks. My primary modem/router is Netgear EVG834N aka EVG2000 and my bridging router is a Netgear WNR2200 which has the latest WNR2200 v1 Firmware - Webflash image installed.

I have followed the instructions at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge and have successfully managed to get my WNR2200 extending the wifi from the primary modem/router but the wifi speeds are very slow due to the distance between the primary and repeater router.

My understanding is that the repeater is receiving the [weak] wifi signal from the primary modem/router and then bridging it over a VAP.

What I would like to do is take the gigabit wired connection from the primary modem/router and feed it into the WAN port of the repeater router and then share the wired connection over wifi and the 4 network ports available on the repeater while maintaining the same dhcp range and wifi SSID and password as the primary modem/router.

Would someone tell me which wiki I should refer to or what keywords I must google to achieve this?

Primary Modem/Router
Netgear EVG834N aka EVG2000
Stock firmware
DHCP: on.
IP: 192.168.0.1

Range Extender Router
Netgear WNR2200
Latest ddwrt firmware
DHCP forwarded from 192.168.0.1

Thanks.

Last edited by preginald on Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:45; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds like you need the Short Version as shown on this wiki: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point since you want to use same subnet for both routers.
preginald
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
js1662 wrote:
Sounds like you need the Short Version as shown on this wiki: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point since you want to use same subnet for both routers.

Thanks pal. I'll give this wiki a read now.
preginald
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wanted to report that I followed the Short Version of the Wireless Access Point wiki and now have everything configured and working just perfectly.

I made sure that the extending wifi router has the same SSID and password as the primary modem/router.

Now when I move between the front to the back of the house my wireless devices automatically switch to the strongest wifi access point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: