TP Link TL-WR840N v1.0 - stuck at CFE.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:

https://secure.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-detection

Not much of a chance for support, 4MB flash Broadcom is so past their best before date and so is TP-Link in general.

You can look up the router on wikidevi for the specs, the specs are similar to what Asus, Linksys, and Netgear released 3 years ago.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Sash wrote:

https://secure.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-detection

Not much of a chance for support, 4MB flash Broadcom is so past their best before date and so is TP-Link in general.

You can look up the router on wikidevi for the specs, the specs are similar to what Asus, Linksys, and Netgear released 3 years ago.

My router is also stuck at mini browser after I tried
To install dd-wrt. Any help to resort this router please. Thanks
speedbird388
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:29    Post subject: TP-Link WR840N Reply with quote
I bought the WR840N with the intention of putting DD-WRT on to it. I downloaded the file and the page said that it was supported. I flashed it after doing a 30-30-30 and bricked it. Therefore I emailed TP-Link and they have sent me a free replacement. DO NOT INSTALL DD-WRT ONTO WR840N

furberaviation
bandoro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah me too....

I've just bricked my router too

I know is my risk to use dd-wrt but please... please.... update the database for compatible hardware to warn others....

I've just wasted my money....

Mad
bandoro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
bandoro wrote:
Yeah me too....

I've just bricked my router too

I know is my risk to use dd-wrt but please... please.... update the database for compatible hardware to warn others....

I've just wasted my money....

Mad

and now i my router is totally bricked. can't go to the cfe page again. but at least i found that i still can use the router as a plain switch.... Crying or Very sad Mad Crying or Very sad Mad
barkermn01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:12    Post subject: I have just done this and now in 2014!!! still no notice! Reply with quote
First of sorry for digging up an old topic however this is relevant to this topic however needs moving into Broadcom Based Hardware.... since this is about the broadcom version of the router!

For the love of god put a notice in saying the International version of this router is not supported.

as for users saying there bricked i dont think that is the case you can't wipe / brick the device off all firmware the CFE comes ROM on the broadcom chipset, however you could well have disabled DHCP, it has taken me a while after i though the device was bricked but use Static IP config
IP Address: 192.168.1.100
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default: 192.168.1.1

And you should now be able to browse to 192.168.1.1 to get the CFE mode again (should any one do this again) however im in the proccess of talking to TP-Link hopefully this will give me a stock firmware that works with the broadcom CFE and a guide to installing stock firmware again from TP-Link if i get this i will provide the information here so users can restore there routers!

However i do have the question why would DD-WRT never support this router!
it supports the Linksys E1200 v1 and this is the same CPU, 32M ram only difference is that it has 4MB flash instead of 8MB flash, so it should be possible being that you can get a version smaller than 4MB dd-wrt.v24-21061_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-nv64k.bin for the E1200 so it should be possible! perhaps a couple of us could get together to get it working as the stock firmware is cr*ppy
akos27
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 20:15    Post subject: Re: Issue with TP Link TL-WR840N - stuck at CFE. Reply with quote
install netis wf2409 firmware netis_wireless_WF2409_Firmware_V1.4.19502

http://www.netis-systems.com/en/Downloads/Details/?id=42

and works for me Very Happy

aeroknight wrote:
I purchased a new TP Link WR840N Ver:1.0 (FCC: TE7WR840N) - a supported device.

Did 30-30-30
Flashed factory-to-ddwrt.bin from here:http://www.dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download/TP-Link/TL-WR840N/v1.x/factory-to-ddwrt.bin/4167 (which I found via the Router Database)

And thats about it never got a chance to flash the webflash file after that.

The power light comes on and the corresponding LAN/WAN light when a cable is plugged in but no wifi light or gear icon light.

If I set my computer to 192.168.1.2 I can ping and access the CFE miniWeb Server on 192.168.1.1 (funny thing is that the webpage says "Broadcom - CFE miniWeb Server").

I have tried flashing the webflash file (http://www.dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download/TP-Link/TL-WR840N/v1.x/tl-wr840n-webflash.bin/4168) from the CFE miniWeb Server but though it uploads and the devices reboots it remains in exactly the same status.

I tried TFTP and though I PUT the bin file to the device successfully; same thing - nothing changes.

Can someone please suggest how I can get out of this predicament?

Thanks for your help.
Tic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please help me tooo. I connect my WR840N to console
Look here
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=917288#917288

Which steps can help recover firmware ?
CrossScofield
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:28    Post subject: Re: Issue with TP Link TL-WR840N - stuck at CFE. Reply with quote
akos27 wrote:
install netis wf2409 firmware netis_wireless_WF2409_Firmware_V1.4.19502

http://www.netis-systems.com/en/Downloads/Details/?id=42

and works for me Very Happy

aeroknight wrote:
I purchased a new TP Link WR840N Ver:1.0 (FCC: TE7WR840N) - a supported device.

Did 30-30-30
Flashed factory-to-ddwrt.bin from here:http://www.dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download/TP-Link/TL-WR840N/v1.x/factory-to-ddwrt.bin/4167 (which I found via the Router Database)

And thats about it never got a chance to flash the webflash file after that.

The power light comes on and the corresponding LAN/WAN light when a cable is plugged in but no wifi light or gear icon light.

If I set my computer to 192.168.1.2 I can ping and access the CFE miniWeb Server on 192.168.1.1 (funny thing is that the webpage says "Broadcom - CFE miniWeb Server").

I have tried flashing the webflash file (http://www.dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download/TP-Link/TL-WR840N/v1.x/tl-wr840n-webflash.bin/4168) from the CFE miniWeb Server but though it uploads and the devices reboots it remains in exactly the same status.

I tried TFTP and though I PUT the bin file to the device successfully; same thing - nothing changes.

Can someone please suggest how I can get out of this predicament?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks, your method is works! But how to restore factory firmware after netis?
sccurtido
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
hello, ive the same problem... my friend wanted a cheap router with nice firmware, and at the store we found this... went in my mobile check if it was compatible, and it appeared yes... flashed the dd-wrt in it, and bricked it...
now i have the netis systems firmware, but i wanted to make use of the iptables...
does this router will get a version of dd-wrt?
we are buying and getting routers bricked... and it should be a note, telling that the internacional version is broadcom, and not atheros... so it will be bricked...
CrossScofield
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
sccurtido wrote:
hello, ive the same problem... my friend wanted a cheap router with nice firmware, and at the store we found this... went in my mobile check if it was compatible, and it appeared yes... flashed the dd-wrt in it, and bricked it...
now i have the netis systems firmware, but i wanted to make use of the iptables...
does this router will get a version of dd-wrt?
we are buying and getting routers bricked... and it should be a note, telling that the internacional version is broadcom, and not atheros... so it will be bricked...

Seems dd-wrt or openwrt will not support this device. I ordered a UART->RS232 serial cable to restore default firmware. So my solution is to sell or change this router to WR841N Crying or Very sad
CrossScofield
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I restored my wr840n Broadcom ed. to original firmware in next way:

1. Download openwrt firmware for brcm47xx chipset
Download.

2. On "Broadcom - CFE miniWeb Server " page, select openwrt firmware.

3. When its done, just enable ssh access in admin panel and copy original firmware to /tmp folder via scp or wget.
Don't forget to cut boot part from original firmware with
Code:
dd if=firmware-boot.bin of=firmware.bin skip=257 bs=512

4. Last step is to run next command which will change openwrt to factory firmware:
Code:
mtd -r write tplink.bin firmware
nariub
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 21:16    Post subject: Attempted to install DDWRT on my TPLINK TL-WR840N v1 Reply with quote
Bricked and unbricked with a mod of the above procedure

Downloaded OpenWRT from above
Installed on the device via the CFE webgui
unpacked current TPlink fw from their website
renamed the stock FW to firmware-boot.bin
on my laptop (running linux)

7680+0 records in
7680+0 records out
3932160 bytes (3.9 MB) copied, 0.15818 s, 24.9 MB/s

used the openwrt page to replace openwrt with the resultant firmware.bin without keeping configurations.

ip address bounces between 192.168.1.1 on openwrt
and 192.168.0.1 on tplink

but reloaded the stock firmware without modification just to be sure and then reloaded my historical configuration.

I am back where i started..

Thanks guys
babai93
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
CrossScofield wrote:
Yeah, I restored my wr840n Broadcom ed. to original firmware in next way:

1. Download openwrt firmware for brcm47xx chipset
Download.

2. On "Broadcom - CFE miniWeb Server " page, select openwrt firmware.

3. When its done, just enable ssh access in admin panel and copy original firmware to /tmp folder via scp or wget.
Don't forget to cut boot part from original firmware with
Code:

4. Last step is to run next command which will change openwrt to factory firmware:
Code:
mtd -r write tplink.bin firmware

Sir, Thanks a lot for this method.
i have renamed the wr840nv1_en_3_13_27_up_boot(141120).bin to firmware-boot.bin and copied to the \tmp folder

when I am executing the command
Code:

I am getting the ERROR in WinSCP

Code:
"Command 'dd if
failed with return code 0 and error message
7680+0 record in
7680+0 record out."

please suggest.

WinSCP_Error.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.87 KB
 Viewed:  275 Time(s)

WinSCP_Error.png

nariub
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 16:59    Post subject: Hey babai93 Reply with quote
Dont SCP anything. pop up a browser,
go to the Broadcom - CFE miniWeb Server web page on your TPLink

load the reference version of OpenWRT via the Broadcom - CFE miniWeb Server page.

when the TPlink reboots
login to openwrt on the tplink

get a copy of the factory firmware
dd that one to strip off the start of the file.

use the openwrt gui to install the modded factory firmware and reboot the TPLink again

when she comes back up she will -look- like a factory firmware.. but i am retentive.. reload the unmodified factory firmware (the one you used to create the modded firmware)

reboot again

tada.. back where you started

firmware.bin
 Description:
This is the modded version of the factory firmware I used

Download
 Filename:  firmware.bin
 Filesize:  3.75 MB
 Downloaded:  37 Time(s)

wr840nv1_en_3_13_27_up_boot(141120).bin
 Description:
This is the factory firmware I used.. Buyer beware pay attention to your model and version of HW

Download
 Filename:  wr840nv1_en_3_13_27_up_boot(141120).bin
 Filesize:  3.88 MB
 Downloaded:  31 Time(s)

openwrt-brcm47xx-generic-squashfs.trx
 Description:
This is the OPENWRT software i used

Download
 Filename:  openwrt-brcm47xx-generic-squashfs.trx
 Filesize:  3.63 MB
 Downloaded:  28 Time(s)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: