Can I reuse my WHR-G125 settings backup on my WHR-G54S?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Don-B
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 14:08    Post subject: Can I reuse my WHR-G125 settings backup on my WHR-G54S? Reply with quote
I have a working (in-service) Buffalo Buffalo WHR-G125 and a spare Buffalo WHR-G54S; both have the exact same firmware (DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std - build 14896). After installing the firmware in the spare, I wanted to use the G125's backup file on the spare, but the restore screen warned about it:

"W A R N I N G

Only upload files backed up using this firmware and from the same model of router. Do not upload any files that were not created by this interface!"

Technically, these are different models; are the models close enough?
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
No. Don't do it. Read the forum announcements.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Don-B
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you at least give me a clue on which announcement to read? I assume you're referencing note-2 from the peacock announcement; it warns about different routers, but these are pretty close. I was hoping someone familiar with the software might be able to comment since it's the same brand and very close to the same model.

If the answer's still no, then perhaps there's a script that could be used??

PS - What's the backup for...crash recovery only?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
as you have pointed out, there are several warnings and advise against restoring a backup from one router to another.

the two routers you have mentioned have diff processors as well as diff clock speed.

if you decide not to take the warnings and advice seriously and do it any way..

assuming it does not brick (it may because of clock speed), you macs will be wrong, init variables will be wrong, etc.

you can:

barryware wrote:
depending on your router, you can use frater's backup script. (you need extra storage).

Or.. (this is a lot of work the 1st time but after that, you can continue to use your backup on any router running dd-wrt)

do an nvram show and copy and paste the output into notepad++

edit that.. delete all but what you need.. remember that the router builds defaults when you erase nvram.

take what you have left, and put "nvram set" (no quotes) in front of the variable.

You need to add a header, and an nvram commit at the end. Save the file with an .sh extension.

copy it to the routers /tmp folder, change the permissions to executable, then run it.

./restore.sh

Here is an example of what you need to create. You must put the data (not the variable name) in quotes.

Here is what I mean:

#!/bin/sh
# echo "Write variables"

nvram set static_leases="00:0D:4B:F0:XX:XX=Ruko=192.168.254.153= 00:12:17:8A:XX:XX=Pc3400=192.168.254.151= "
nvram set static_leasenum="2"
nvram set forward_port="FTP_PSV:on:both:2085:2100>192.168.254.161"
nvram set forward_entries="1"

# Commit variables
echo "Save variables to nvram"
nvram commit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don-B wrote:
Can you at least give me a clue on which announcement to read?

Read them all. Won't hurt. Much.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Don-B
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, I read them, and yes, it did hurt a little. I like the script idea, but have a couple of questions.

1. If a variable ends in "=" (with nothing following), I can remove it from the script...correct? i.e. I did not set a value for those variables, so ignore them?

2. I assume any variable that has nothing after the "=" is left blank or set pragmatically to a default value. Correct?

3. Are there variables that have dependencies on other variables? If so, is there a way to know which (i.e. if I set x, then also set Y).

4. Is this a good rule-of-thumb...."If I don't recognize it as a property I entered, then don't write the variable". Ex. I don't recognize these, so I would remove them from the script. Correct?

wl0.1_radius_port=1812
wl0_wds2_if=
olsrd_coverage=7
http_redirect_port=3128
opo=0

Thanks for the help,

Don
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don-B wrote:
OK, I read them, and yes, it did hurt a little. I like the script idea, but have a couple of questions.

1. If a variable ends in "=" (with nothing following), I can remove it from the script...correct? i.e. I did not set a value for those variables, so ignore them?

2. I assume any variable that has nothing after the "=" is left blank or set pragmatically to a default value. Correct?

3. Are there variables that have dependencies on other variables? If so, is there a way to know which (i.e. if I set x, then also set Y).

4. Is this a good rule-of-thumb...."If I don't recognize it as a property I entered, then don't write the variable". Ex. I don't recognize these, so I would remove them from the script. Correct?

wl0.1_radius_port=1812
wl0_wds2_if=
olsrd_coverage=7
http_redirect_port=3128
opo=0

Thanks for the help,

Don

Do:

Backup you nvram via nvram show.. copy & paste.

Backup via dd-wrt gui..

Reset the router to defaults..

Now backup again via nvram show..

Compare the two.. Anything that is the same as default does not need to be restored.

Be careful with things like macs and radio params.

I just restore the time consuming stuff like port forwards, mac filters, static leases, etc.. Everything else is default or only takes a couple of clicks to set up.

When satisfied, you can restore you binary backup via the gui to put it back the way it was prior to the reset (to the same router with the same build).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very clever! Also a bit scary to set a working (in service) router to defaults; even more scary when it won't take the new password until you do the 30-30-30 trick to get it back. Strange though, the password worked for telnet, but not the web-gui...I think I've seen that before.

Anyway, it took a while to boil 1216 variables down to the right 25, but it worked great. Thanks for all the help,

Don

PS - here's the procedure I used to do the restore:

Date - 12/22/2013
Subject - Instructions for installing restore.sh variables

-Access router and enable sshd (services > services > Secure Shell > sshd > enable > Save > Apply settings)
-Power cycle router to make changes active
-Start ftp program WinSCP (File protocol = scp / Host name = 192.168.0.1 / Port number = 22 / user = myuser / password = mypasswd)
-Connect to the router with WinSCP and copy the restore.sh file to /tmp
-Use Putty to access router by Telnet (Host name = 192.168.0.1 / port = 23 / Protocol = Telnet)
-Set permissions and run the script
#cd /tmp
#chmod 774 restore.sh
#./restore.sh
-Wait 30 seconds and then power cycle the router
-Verify settings are correct
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: