HOWTO: WRT54GL DIY INTERNAL POE! *PICS*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Victor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Damn so no1 tried this with a wrt54g router?
Sponsor
Victor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm after looking at the tutorial closely, I found out that the router version DOES NOT matter. As long as the pins for the WAN are the same then it will work. Also BTW will it work if lets say, instead of using the WAN port for power, i use one of the LAN ports? I think it should work right?
infusion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
It will work on the LAN also.
mountainfreak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
robert-e

Just tested my gl at 358 ma. I'm running at xmit power at 84mw and 216Mhz on the processor. Like you said the current draw changed very little changing xmit or processor for that matter. My concern with the cable is it was manufactured in china(ya I know everything is) but I have bought "Stainless Steel" from china that rusted. Perhaps the cable I bought is not pure copper. Off to test cable ohms. Smile
robert-e
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOL..I bet pie and coffee that the stainless steel in the lan cable is the problem..but I wonder if it is really stainless...stainless does not rust. Man, I guess this is just another thing to watch out for...I have never seen cat 5 cable made of anything other than copper. I suppose it is okay for data signals on long runs, but I wonder if it meets spec?

Still, I wonder why your current is so much higher than mine...The only thing that changed the current on mine was if I plugged in another lan cable. Then the current went up by about 20 ma., which is reasonable since it turns on and extra led. I guess I should check it again, since I have loaded the RC4 software, but I cant see that even if it makes the cpu work harder, that it should make any real difference. Interesting stuff.
Regards,
Bob
rkloost
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Great stuff...but I keep LICKing my screen for the High Res pics. Laughing

So...how long an Ethernet line before the line drop is too great to run the device.

redhawk

My monitor now is clean too Very Happy

1xWRT54Gv2

In need of WRT54GS <= v3 EU/UK for firmware-debugging purposes. Buffalo's are welcome too! PM me if you have a spare one.
mountainfreak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOL robert-e
I think I should clarify what I meant to say. I bought stainless steel pots, you know... for the kitchen stamped both stainless and china. Needless to say that's what rusted. Knowing that you can buy stainless that rusts from china, how can I trust their copper? Haven't tested the ohms yet but I suspect it's not pure copper. Looks like copper but who knows they could've thrown some other metals. I'm using RC4 and no other lan ports. I was suprised to see the difference in current draw too. Be curious to see if it is RC4.

rkloost
I got spagetti sauce on mine. I guess I should've licked my screen between meals.
rkloost
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wiping it of would be sufficient I think Very Happy
1xWRT54Gv2

In need of WRT54GS <= v3 EU/UK for firmware-debugging purposes. Buffalo's are welcome too! PM me if you have a spare one.
MrAlvin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a short word of warning about running too much current through ethernet cables.

The "professionel" units allow for no more than 400 milliAmp (0.4A) on ethernet cables (using two pairs = four wires).

Here are a few links:
MIT's devices: http://www.mitscomponent.com/english/product_oem_a1.htm
Info to scare you a bit: http://www.crashbar.com/DTMPOE.htm
Wiki about PoE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

And on that note, I'll quickly move on to make my own DIY PoE low-cost power injector, as every propper modder/hacker/wifi-freak needs to have one Smile
Jfender
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
toysareforboys wrote:
Great info, thanks! That automatic fuse thing sounds great! You have more electrical knowledge then me Very Happy.

-Jamie M.

Jamie you could also use a small bridge rectifier with the the + and - leads of the rectifier connected to the + and - power inputs and the AC leads connected to the lan connector. Not only would this protect the router from reverse polarity it wouldnt even matter how you hooked it up, it would still work. I am going to do this to put an access point in the cupola over my garage.
Ganiman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
The images in the top post are no longer there - any chance someone has these saved and can share? I've used this DIY a couple of times with great success.. devices have been running well over a year with no down time. I knew I should have saved this locally instead of just bookmarking ><
Ganiman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks to Jamie for getting these pics hosted again Very Happy
facklera
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
How can I hide a hyperlink on a web page if Javascript is disabled in the users browser? Raptor your an idiot, I only want to hide the link because it uses javascript, I'm not decieving anybody I'm trying to make their experience easier on my website.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 15:59    Post subject: HOWTO: WRT54GL DIY INTERNAL POE Reply with quote
Does anyone have a copy of the pictures that were included in this post? They're not available anywhere I can find (via Google).
Seth7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
yep .. the pics are long since dead .. im looking too .. i want to add POE to a Fo.Ne.Ra i have with Piranha on it ( AAP )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: