WRT54G v2.2 slow wireless download (wireless upload ok)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
sabrex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:13    Post subject: WRT54G v2.2 slow wireless download (wireless upload ok) Reply with quote
I have been reading the forums and unable to come up with any solutions to my problem. I have a Linksys WRT54G v2.2 ... I have tried builds 14896 and 14929 and am getting the same results.

The signal strength appears to be good:

Here is the settings page for the wireless:

When connected to the router with a wire, this is the speed I get on the ISP's speedtest site (advertised speed for my connection is 25 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload):

However, when connected to the router via wireless 802.11g, the download speed never goes higher than about 10 Mbps (ranges between 7 and 10 Mbps) but the upload speed is still around 10-11 Mbps.

Any ideas what could be causing this? How can I get the wireless download speeds to get close to the 25 Mbps I'm getting when I connect directly to the router? Thanks.

Last edited by sabrex on Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:19; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need a router with a faster cpu and probably N protocol to route that fast. More memory would help too. For choices, see the "What's the best router" sticky in the general forum.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
sabrex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
You need a router with a faster cpu and probably N protocol to route that fast. More memory would help too. For choices, see the "What's the best router" sticky in the general forum.

I seem to recall that before I changed the firmware on this router to dd-wrt, I was getting around 25 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload via wireless. I need the VPN capabilities of dd-wrt, so there's no going back Smile But it would be nice to be able to access the download speed I'm paying for on wireless without having to change the router.
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Turn off the "Auto Channel" feature and set it for the channel with the least noise. Set your ACK timing to 20 and set your transmit power to 5 mW. Disable CTS protection in the advanced wireless page and enable frame bursting.

Screen shots are a be'atch ! Shocked

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
Mangix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
can't ths cpu be overclocked to potentially 300MHz? even overclocking to 250MHz would help a lot.
sabrex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
Turn off the "Auto Channel" feature and set it for the channel with the least noise. Set your ACK timing to 20 and set your transmit power to 5 mW. Disable CTS protection in the advanced wireless page and enable frame bursting.

Screen shots are a be'atch ! Shocked

Thanks GeeTek. Changing the channel from Auto to 2 (which seemed to be the least congested) increased the download speed from 9/10 to 11/12 Mbps. The other options didn't seem to make any difference after I changed them one by one. Even when the computer is right next to the router, I get more or less the same speeds, so it's also not a function of distance.
sabrex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mangix wrote:
can't ths cpu be overclocked to potentially 300MHz? even overclocking to 250MHz would help a lot.

I read on the forums that overclocking to 280 MHz or above will brick this router (Linksys WRT54G v2.2) ... so I tried 240 MHz and it got an additional download speed bump from about 12 Mbps to 14.5 Mbps.

So far, changing the channel from Auto to channel 2, and then overclocking from the default 216 MHz to 240 MHz has allowed the download speed to go from around 9 Mbps to 14 Mbps. Not bad I guess ... but all signs are pointing to replacing the router if I want 25 Mbps down on wireless Sad Wouldn't the cpu speed also affect the wired speed though? How come I can get 25 Mbps down when connecting directly to the router then?
Mangix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
wi-fi requires extra processing for stuff like encryption and modulation. if you're desperate for speed, try disabling any security you might have on the router.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: