iodine (DNS Tunnel)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
buchinho
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 22:12    Post subject: iodine (DNS Tunnel) Reply with quote
Has anybody got this running? Maybe somebody got it to work with his dd-wrt and can post a small howto. I have a problem with the dns part. Do you really need a first level domain? My hosting company doesn't allow forwarding...
Sponsor
solipsist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do not know how Iodine is implemented in dd-wrt but generally, you need to run a DNS server to connect to. Iodine then allows you to tunnel data through the connection to the DNS server, and connect to the Internet through a proxy on the server end.

Unless I am entirely mistaken, the DNS server can be any server you set up home. I.e. Ubuntu, Gentoo, Slackware and whatever distribution you can compile and run iodine under. You also need a domain name which has your DNS server set as name server. If your IP address is dynamic, use DynDNS or similar.

Further, READM says:

Quote:
To use this tunnel, you need control over a real domain (like mytunnel.com),
and a server with a static public IP number (not behind NAT) that does not
yet run a DNS server.

http://code.kryo.se/iodine/README.txt

However I cannot see why packet forwarding on port 53 will not work. Perhaps someone else knows?

This isn't easy and I don't recommend it to anyone who doesn't like getting his/her hands greasy!

http://code.kryo.se/iodine/
paulo_andre
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got it to work (but now found out airports captive portal is protected against this Sad ) well, if you still want to know how to do it, reply to the post and I'll try to find time to make a howto. To answer your question, yes, you DO need a domain, not necessarily a top level, but a .info only costs $2 a year, so it's not much.
solipsist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please tell. I'd really appreciate it! Been wanting to get this set up for ages but haven't had time to set up a server so far. Also been waiting for when Iodine or NSTX would be included in DD-WRT. It might come in really handy.

Which versions of DD-WRT include iodine?
paulo_andre
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
There was once a version of dd-wrt for the f*nera with nstx, but that was removed (don't know why). Now no version of dd-wrt comes with either iodine or nstx.
Here's what I did:
Get a top-level domain. GoDaddy sells .info just for $2 a year, so I got one of those. Then change the dns hosting to editdns.net. Here I needed to change my status to donor (extra $5 but should only need to do it once). Now configure the NS and A server just like in the man page of iodine (the NS points to the record name of the A and the A points to the ip of your dd-wrt router). Ok, phase1 is ready.
On to phase2, cross-compile iodine for dd-wrt. My advice, if you never cross-compiled before, forget it. It took me a few days to figure out how to do this, especially because iodine requires zlib, which you also need to cross-compile. As an attachment I send both binaries, server and client, precompiled for dd-wrt broadcom v24. You just need to send them to the router (I uploaded to a ftp server and then wget from the router) and run them as explained in the iodine man page.
Be sure to add:
/usr/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -p udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
to your firewall script to allow incoming connections and that's it. Good luck on using it where it's most needed (captive portal), I couldn't get it to work, the networks were all protected

iodine.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  iodine.rar
 Filesize:  48.46 KB
 Downloaded:  1546 Time(s)

solipsist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for posting this! I'll try and see if I have better luck with the hotspots here.
dvlad666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anyone managed to run these correctly?

There is a new iodine version (01 june 2009).Can anybody compile it for a latest dd-wrt?
tech128
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well since it seems I'm the only one who will compile iodine, it is done. All you have to do is compile zlib, add the headers into its include dir, add the libz.a archive into the lib dir, modify the Makefile in iodine src dir for the cross compiler gcc, and compile it.

Rather easy for a cross compile, I've tackled much much harder projects. Also I put iodined onto my buffalo router and launched it with the proper switches and it started, opened a tun device, and looked like it might possibly work. I will fully test it out within the month (unless someone else wants to test it first).

EDIT: darn I attached it twice! xD

iodine.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  iodine.zip
 Filesize:  102.33 KB
 Downloaded:  1354 Time(s)

dvlad666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
tech128 wrote:
Well since it seems I'm the only one who will compile iodine, it is done. All you have to do is ...

You're the hero Exclamation
I'll try tis in a couple of days (weekends), but i'm a chicken in linux, could you please clarify:
1)Is that all? Are these extensionless files - executtables?
2)Do i need to do anything else except copy them to the router and launch?
3)...may be some chmod etc?

Thanks in advance!
tech128
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes that is all, there is just iodined, which is the server, and iodine, which is the client. Keep in mind most people will probably want to use iodined, since I doubt you'd have your router with you while you're trying to connect through DNS Smile

Yes all you need to do is copy iodined to the router, chmod +x iodined, then you can run it as follows:

/tmp/iodined -P your_password 10.0.0.1 tunnel1.yourhost.com

Note: This expects you have iodined in the /tmp dir which is basically a ramdisk. The problem with /tmp is that anything there is erased when the router restarts or shuts off.

If you want it in jffs then you would do this instead:
/jffs/iodined -P your_password 10.0.0.1 tunnel1.yourhost.com

The README for iodine should explain the rest:
http://code.kryo.se/iodine/README.html
elypter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 19:00    Post subject: great work Reply with quote
thanks for for doing the compilation.
iodine runs fine and accepts connections but there are 2 things i cannot solve.
the first is that iodine doesnt work when dnsmasq is running, even when local dns is disabled in the webinterface. I tried disabling it but it still shows up in the processlist (ps). i can conly connect after i killed dnsmasq and before it restarts automatically.
Does anyone know how to do dhcp hosting without dnsmasq, or better how iodine works together with dnsmasq.

my other problem is that i can only connect from inside the network. when i connect over an external dnsserver i get SERVFAIL as reply

its not a problem on the client-side i got it working with an ubuntu laptop as server

thanks in advance
tskeeley
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
*bump*

I also have the problem that dnsmasq is interfering with this. I'd love to link dnsmasq to the inside interface and iodine to the outside interface. Any ideas? I can't get the "interface=eth0" to be accepted and I think it's because of the br0 bridge. been thinking about disabling the bridge and trusting iptables to route properly. Any suggestions, opinions, or nudges in the correct direction are appreciated!
guardianx4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
can some1 point me to a tutorial on how to do this via linksys wrt? thanx
bombeur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
First i want to say that english is not my first language so excuse my poor english i will do my best to explain what i did to get this working on dd-wrt

I grabed the package from this tread tranfered it to my router

started iodined whit this command: iodined -P password 192.168.10.1 tunnel.mydomain.com

i found that you should always use the -P switch. every time i tried to start my iodined server whitout i lost the control of my ssh session and i had to reconnect and kill iodined process.

i also found that iodined enter un conflict whit dnsmasq. So i disable dnsmasq option to resolve dns and set the dns server of my isp in the option to steel be able to go to internet in my internal network.

after i have been able to connect to my router and etablish a ssh session thru my dns tunnel

i only got one problem left my speed seam really slow i only got 4 or 5ko/s i dont know if it's normal but if anyone have any clue let me know please

if you have any question i will do my best to answer

thx to tech128 to have take the time to compil iodine for dd-wrt
guardianx4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
when i put the idodined file into /tmp and run the command..

./iodined -f 10.0.0.1 test.asdf

i get an output of this
Code:
enter password on stdin:
iodined: cant resolve symbol "scanf"

what does this mean help !! thanx
Another question is after u get a .info name from go daddy what do u change the nameserver into..?? do u point it to ur home wan ip address.. when i tried to do that i get an erro msg from godaddy saying *nameserver not registered*
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: