DD-WRT micro on the Belkin F5D7231-4 Version 1212UK. Success

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
qball
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
soulstace wrote:
When you are trying to TFTP, tap (not hold) the reset button to reboot the router instead of unplugging it.

Set up ping first:

ping 192.168.2.1 -W 10

Then tap reset button until it reboots

When you see ping reply with TTL 100, immediately start the TFTP transfer.

Also, it might help to use another router or switch in-between your PC and the Belkin.

I am having the same issue with no look on any of the above solutions, is there anything else i can do to over come this issue. any help is much appreciated.
Sponsor
iansl2000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,
Referring to the original post.
I would like to upgrade to DD-WRT on this router so that I can use in client only mode.
I'm trying to check that I can use telnet to access the unmolested router but get the following
Code:

C:\Documents and Settings\user>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

C:\Documents and Settings\user>telnet 192.168.2.1 80
Connecting To 192.168.2.1...Could not open connection to the host, on port 80: C
onnect failed

Can I use telnet on this router-the op obviously did or do I have to take the plunge and load DD-WRT first.

Thanks for any help
Ian
mk378
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read the OP again: telnet was only used after flashing to dd-wrt. Most stock firmwares don't support telnet.
iansl2000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply-the router is working now. I also used instructions here http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TFTP_flash#Linksys_TFTP_GUI

Thanks again
Ian
iansl2000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi
After 4 years of faultless use I've had to replace my primary router with a TP-link Td-W8968 which has wireless n.

I've given the SSID the same name as before and disabled encryption but cannot get the secondary(DD-WRT) router in client mode to connect to it.

Is there anything else i need to do/check?

Many Thanks
ian
daball
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:56    Post subject: Is it safe to upgrade my F5D7231-4 v1213? Reply with quote
I have DD-WRT installed onto my Belkin F5D7231-4. The GUI reports I have v1212UK, but the sticker on the bottom indicates that it is a v1213. Either way, I'm running the v24-sp2 (08/07/10) micro - build 14896 that I downloaded from the router database page.

This particular model uses the Broadcom BCM5352 chip rev 0 @ 200 MHz, has 8 MB RAM, and a 2 MB flash memory.

Before you get mad about me asking, I have read through a lot of the Wiki. It's full of good information, but I'm not sure how much of it is recent information. I feel like some of the information is dated far enough back that it was before the release I have, which is almost 4.5 years old now, and there may be some fixes that I could take advantage of in newer releases.

Is it safe to upgrade to a newer version, say for example, the betas/2015/02-04-2015-r26138/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin? Instructions say that for my particular model, it will brick it. But the instructions were written prior to the version of the firmware I'm using, making that note obsolete.

If so, do I need to use tftp to flash it now that DD-WRT is already installed, or should I just use the Firmware Upgrade feature in the DD-WRT GUI? Somewhere it says not to use the web interface to flash it, otherwise, it will brick it. And I'm pretty sure I did that once without bricking it, but I'm not sure if they meant the factory web interface or the DD-WRT web interface.

If not, should I use the DD-WRT GUI Factory Defaults or try to use the reset button on the back panel to reset to factory defaults? The instructions weren't very clear on this, but I'm just going to assume it means the factory defaults in the DD-WRT web interface.

If there is some reason that it won't boot, can I tftp another version in using the same flash process at boot time that I used to first install DD-WRT? This was never really clear. I guess you could say I don't fully understand the boot process.

For example, when I flashed my Android to CyanogenMod, if for any reason it wouldn't boot, I could always just boot to the boot loader and re-flash it to something else via USB.

So I guess my question there is, if DD-WRT fails to boot, does the tftp system also fail or is that something that always exists whether or not a bootable flash ROM is available?

On a side note, if I trash it, I could just buy a new router. This one is junk at this point. I just don't have a new one picked out yet. But I don't really want to trash it. I would be okay experimenting more if I knew that it was safe enough to sideload another ROM whenever one fails to boot.

I've been using DD-WRT for about a year now. I totally love it, but there seem to be some glitches here and there. That's kind of why I was hoping to take a look at a more recent version.

Thanks for any help! Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: