WRT54G V2.2 Connectivity Issues (Solved - sortof)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
cidtrips
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 15:29    Post subject: WRT54G V2.2 Connectivity Issues (Solved - sortof) Reply with quote
I have a WRT54G V2.2 that I just flashed with V23 SP2 (have tried mini and standard) that seemed to brick the router at first, then I discovered that if I flood pinged it (ping -f 192.168.1.1) it would respond normally. After a speed test, which won't start until I initiate the ping, the router is putting through nearly 5Mbps. Even to connect to the web interface of the router I have to flood ping it, otherwise the connection just times out.

Any ideas with this would be helpful, as the wiki and forum both seem to be void of this type of scenario.

Last edited by cidtrips on Fri Aug 24, 2007 21:34; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
It sounds like a Hard Reset is in order. (30/30/30)

press reset button on back for 30 seconds, unplug the unit still holding the reset another 30 seconds, then plug it back in still holding a final 30 seconds. This will reset the unit to dd-wrt defaults by clearing out the nvram and setting things up for a proper configuration.

You may also want to try the new firmware V24 RC1 08/22/07. This release seems pretty stable at this point.

redhawk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried resetting to no avail, as well as the V24 firmwares. I'm getting to the point of thinking it may be a hardware problem, but for the life of me I can't fathom what could cause such behavior on the hardware side.

The router may have been acting strangely before I tried the first flash, but I'm not too sure as I pulled it from in front of my V6 with dd-wrt-V23-SP2-micro because I thought that it (the WRT54G-V6) was giving me problems, hindsight is suggesting that it was actually this router that was making the other seem faulty. Thats impossible to determine at this point though as I already reverted the V6 to Linksys firmware before I made the swap.

(Edit) Interesting info:
126146 packets transmitted, 125998 received, 0% packet loss, time 1668173ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.370/26.418/57.530/3.852 ms, pipe 3, ipg/ewma 13.224/17.

vs

Regular ping gives returns every 2nd-4th response in the neighborhood of 1000-2000 ms. where the flood ping max is always mid 50's no matter how long I run.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
So the V6 is working as a router OK then?

It does sound like a HW problem. I have never heard of this problem exactly...but I do know that if one forgets to do a Hard Reset before/after the first install or major upgrade install of the dd-wrt firmware things act a bit "wonky"....so that is why I suggested the Hard Reset first. In your case, since you already did a 30/30/30 then it may be HW related.

Can you talk Lan to Lan devices? Or is this strictly a WAN problem?

Good luck.

redhawk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I think I have this narrowed down to a hardware issue, as it displays the same functionality issues with Linksys firmware. I've also installed V24 on my V6 and am now using it as my sole router. I guess now I'm in the market for a GL to replace the dated and dysfunctional G V2.2.

BTW, the problem was from>to any interface but I could not get around it just by doing a flood ping from the router to it's self, as I could easily do that with a script at boot. Unfortunately the ping mechanism in the DD-WRT firmware is not the usual Linux one and I haven't poked with it enough to see if I could make it flood ping it's self.

Maybe one day I'll get around to it. Thanks for the help though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: