How to install on a Buffalo WZR2-G300N - Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Illindar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:02    Post subject: How to install on a Buffalo WZR2-G300N - Help! Reply with quote
I've poured over the boards and haven't been able to find instructions on how to get the Buffalo WZR2-G300N flashed with .24. I've used tftp, and have a lot of experience getting Buffalo WHR-G56S's flashed and working (I have a 3 device WRD that I've been running in my network for almost a year now) I can't seem to figure out if I am just doing something wrong or if I am insane. I've seen a number of people say that they have gotten it to work... can someone that has detail the method they used?

Did you hold the reset button for <X> number of seconds?

Did you just powercycle the bugger?

Did you upgrade the version of the device to a certain level before you did <X> or did you just pull it out of the box and get cracking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
PhilD

PS. For the record, yes I looked at the wiki, reviewed the forums, used the linksys tftp program, and/or used windows tftp. By all rights, this bugger should be flashed.
Sponsor
Illindar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
One other thing: If anyone has any recomendations such as:

Whatever you do, don't do <X>!

or

I found it a good thing to do <X>!

I would love the feedback.

Thanks again,
PhilD
jctune
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Phil,

I flashed one last week - but it definitely took more time than I expected. I basically used the linksys tftp updater on a windows box. After power cycling the router (by unplugging and plugging in the power cord about 50 times it finally worked.

There's a Buffalo section on the following page http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation#Flashing_the_Buffalo_WHR-G54S_and_WHR-HP-G54 with the detailed instructions.

I was getting ready to throw the thing out the window because the tftp utility wouldn't work - it would look like it was working and then cycle through another "attempt". I just followed the unplug - run utility set for about 50 retries - plug in method over and over again using a generic micro v24 firmware.
jctune
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
In a nutshell - here's exactly what I did.

1. Downloaded the linksys tftp utility and a generic v24-micro dd-wrt firmware (I ended up with the 7/4/07 release).
2. Assigned a static ip address to my laptop in the standard range for the wzr-g300n (I think I did 192.168.11.11 / netmask 255.255.255.0 / default gateway 192.168.11.1)
3. Fired up the linksys tftp utility and entered the router's default ip address (192.168.11.1) and number of retries (50)
4. Power cycled the WZR-G300N by unplugging and then plugging it in. Hit start (or whatever the button is labeled) on the tftp utility about 1 second before plugging in the router.
5. Generally at around try number 7 a dialog box with a status bar would pop up that said something like "erasing firmware". This would run for 10-15 seconds and then disappear - and the tftp utility would move to try 8. This would repeat for a while.
6. Repeated step 4 a lot.
7. After about 50 tries it finally worked.
8. Used the web interface to load a generic V24 VPN firmware.
Illindar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the help!

I'm basically following your process but I modified the default script from the wiki to loop the tftp put onto the device a little more easily.

Now I'm about 30 loops in... so I'll have to see if it works.

Code:

echo off

echo ================================================
echo This batch file will upload dd-wrt.v23_***.bin in the current directory to
echo 192.168.11.1 during the router's bootup.
echo.
echo * Set your ethernet card's settings to:
echo      IP:      192.168.11.2
echo      Mask:    255.255.255.0
echo      Gateway: 192.168.11.1.

:START
echo.
echo.
echo * Unplug the router's power cable.
echo.
echo Press Ctrl+C to abort or any other key to continue...
echo.

pause > nul

echo.
echo * Re-plug the router's power cable.
echo.
echo =================================================
echo Waiting for the router... Press Ctrl+C to abort.
echo.

:PING
ping -n 1 -w 50 192.168.11.1 > nul
if errorlevel 1 goto PING

echo tftp -i 192.168.11.1 put dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin
tftp -i 192.168.11.1 put dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin
if errorlevel 1 goto START

echo.
echo =================================================
echo * WAIT for about 2 minutes while the firmware is being flashed.
echo * Reset your ethernet card's settings back to DHCP.
echo * The default router address will be at 192.168.11.1.
echo.

pause

END

PhilD
Xystance
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 16:37    Post subject: So... WZR2-G300N, does it work? any bugs? Reply with quote
So... if you've done it,

Does it just use the "Generic" firmware? Does eveverything work? N mode? stable? etc...
abhi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you backup Buffalo WZR2-G300N firmware or know the location where to download orginal firmware incase it goes brick?

What is this mean? >>> Used the web interface to load a generic V24 VPN firmware

Thanks

jctune wrote:
In a nutshell - here's exactly what I did.

1. Downloaded the linksys tftp utility and a generic v24-micro dd-wrt firmware (I ended up with the 7/4/07 release).
2. Assigned a static ip address to my laptop in the standard range for the wzr-g300n (I think I did 192.168.11.11 / netmask 255.255.255.0 / default gateway 192.168.11.1)
3. Fired up the linksys tftp utility and entered the router's default ip address (192.168.11.1) and number of retries (50)
4. Power cycled the WZR-G300N by unplugging and then plugging it in. Hit start (or whatever the button is labeled) on the tftp utility about 1 second before plugging in the router.
5. Generally at around try number 7 a dialog box with a status bar would pop up that said something like "erasing firmware". This would run for 10-15 seconds and then disappear - and the tftp utility would move to try 8. This would repeat for a while.
6. Repeated step 4 a lot.
7. After about 50 tries it finally worked.
8. Used the web interface to load a generic V24 VPN firmware.
Rick77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 13:42    Post subject: Does it work or not? Reply with quote
Here we have two people who said they flashed the WZR2-G300N. One even goes through the trouble of posting a script to run. They however neglect to do a follow up report to let us know the outcome.

Simple question. Did it work, or do both of you have nice new paper weights? Crying or Very sad
tsokaki
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
i recently bought a buffalo WZR2-G300N thinking it was a WZR-G300N and would be easy to flash with dd-wrt. but, i haven't been able upload the dd-wrt micro v24 firmware via tftp (neither using the command line, nor the linksys utility). i've tried power-cycling, resetting, waiting for different intervals before trying, but nothing i've tried works. oh, and i (unfortunately) have tried >>50 power cycles as suggested earlier in this thread.

while the router is booting up, and having my laptop ethernet card set to 192.168.11.11, i can't ping 192.168.11.1, making me think it isn't running a tftp server at all during this period, at least not on that ip.

i am really new to this so any suggestions would be helpful.

by the way, has anyone looked at the images of the board and determined if it is even compatible with dd-wrt.

thanks,
christos
Rick77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:47    Post subject: WZR2-G300N Reply with quote
@tsokaki;
Does the router still work after your attempts?
tsokaki
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes, after my tftp attempts, it works like it did right out of the box. i don't think i am doing anything to it.

i just went to the store and bought a whr-g125 and i was able to flash it with dd-wrt_v24 on the first try.

still would like to get dd-wrt on the wzr2-g300n. have any ideas?

i was thinking that buffalo may have done away with the tftp server during router initialization. that or switched the ip address of the server to something other than 192.168.11.1. i tried searching for activity that the router displayed during the intialization, but i really don't know what i'm doing and haven't found anything yet.

christos
Rick77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 13:43    Post subject: Flashing WZR2-G300N Reply with quote
Well since we still have no definitive answer on weather or not DD-WRT will work on this router, I might do a little experimenting on my own.

The pics of the Router PCB that downloaddeviant posted don't do me any good, because I don't know what I'm looking for.We need some of the experts to look at these pics.
The one thing I noticed was that in the upper left corner of the pic is what seems to be the board version, is this correct?
Rick77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not working yet.
Goofee691
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
it looks like this router is not a broadcom router but a ralink
HowardZ
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
jctune wrote:
Phil,

I flashed one last week - but it definitely took more time than I expected. I basically used the linksys tftp updater on a windows box. After power cycling the router (by unplugging and plugging in the power cord about 50 times it finally worked.

There's a Buffalo section on the following page http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation#Flashing_the_Buffalo_WHR-G54S_and_WHR-HP-G54 with the detailed instructions.

I was getting ready to throw the thing out the window because the tftp utility wouldn't work - it would look like it was working and then cycle through another "attempt". I just followed the unplug - run utility set for about 50 retries - plug in method over and over again using a generic micro v24 firmware.

Since you got DD-wrt to tun on this router, we have a few questions for you:
1. How much flash memory does it have?
2. How much RAM memory does it have?
3. Does DD-Wrt support the "N" wifi speeds?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: