Assistance with WRT610Nv2 running DD-WRT v24-sp2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Voradors
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:45    Post subject: Assistance with WRT610Nv2 running DD-WRT v24-sp2 Reply with quote
Hi, awhile back i upgraded from a stock Netgear router to a Linksys running DD-WRT v24-sp2. Overall i loved the DD-WRT software, and all the different options it allowed me.

With the settings as default, it appeared that my download speeds (wifi and wired) and wifi reception decreased a little. Lately i have noticed more of a decrease and have tried to adjust the settings to do what i can to help, but to no avail.
Some examples are my iphone only gets full wifi bars if i am within 5 feet of the router itself, my computer in the next room usually connects with a decent signal, but it will take 30 minutes to download a file that previously took 5 minutes.

Some of the things i have done is experiment with different wifi channels, and have settled on channel 11. I boosted the Tx power to 141 mW. I have tested with QoS a little, but not alot as i am not very familiar with this.
I have tested the speed of my internet connection itself, and nothing appears to be wrong with it. So i am left with the only thing that has changed...my router.

I was hoping that maybe someone on the forums could lend some assistance and point me in the right direction to working this out.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
gobbledigook
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi, firstly what build number/date are you using?

can you post your wireless settings? have you tried disabling security? increasing the tx power can actually have a detrimental effect due to the increase in noise, have you tried actually decreasing this?

in all you can expect to lose a little performance with this firmware as it has LOTS of features crammed into it fot the advanced user that can mean the router has more to *do*. you could try using a smaller build, but then you trade configurability

Confused

list of optware packages
broadcom announcements, peacock and recommended builds
Voradors
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for the late reply, been a bit busy with kids and work.

Fimrware version - DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/07/09) big - build 13401M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko

tx was set to 142, and i tried lowering to 100 to see if that makes any difference.

Basic wireless settings:
Wireless mode: AP
Network Mode: G only
Channel: 6 (when i scanned the area it seemed to be the least used channel)
Sensitivity range: 2000

I am using WPA Personal security.

Besides that, i didnt really change much for the wireless settings.

Also, when i have problems with the wired network is mainly Nnetflix constantly buffering when it is streaming on the xbox, so i am not sure what the cause is.
the wired xbox connection is actually my bigger concern since its driving the kids crazy, which in turn drives dad crazy Laughing
When it is buffering i have tried looking at my real time bandwidth usage and i am not even downloading a meg at the time, so it is no where near my actual bandwidth cap.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Start with the forum announcements. Peacock in particular. Try WPA2-aes and a forum recommended build.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: