[Solved]Is unbricking possible in this version of WRT54G v1?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
mauxiliar
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 18:23    Post subject: [Solved]Is unbricking possible in this version of WRT54G v1? Reply with quote
Hello nice people of this forum!I have a very very very big problem with my WRT54G. Obviously I bricked it! Sad
Now... i know what u r thinking: "read the forum because a lot of people post without searching!" so i did and found some realy nice thinks and explanations on how to unbrick it from:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Recover_from_a_Bad_Flash
But until the "Recover by JTag cable" topic nothing worked... and from there on I cant do a thing because i don't have JTag conectors on my router and I dont have the intel chip to do the next step (WRT54G Revival Guide) so... I'll post some pictures of my WRT54G and u tell me what version is exactly (i know its v1 but it has some extrange hardware with no intel chips!) so i can look for further pictures and tutorials on how to unbrick it or if u know witch are the reset pins and u tell me thanks a lot!!!! or if u know another unbricking methot better yet!
Oh! by the way... what i did to brick the router was to update from dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin beta from 18/04/2007 to the new 2007_0910 v24 RC2 via web interface. It worked fine for 1 minute until I changed the routers IP from default 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1, saved, applied and then the DMZ light became red forever! no blinks no pings, nothing, totaly death! Now it doenst respond to the reset button, even pressing it while the router is turned off, on, 10 secs, 30 secs, whatever and obviously doesnt respond to pings either...
Thanks a lot in advance to whom can answer me with good news!
Sorry my poor english!

Here are the links to my Linksys WRT54G pictures:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/5670/copyofdscf4057vp9.jpg
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1083/copyofdscf4059rt8.jpg
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/923/copyofdscf4062iq9.jpg

Edit:
I manage to unbrick it and made a guide:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20205&highlight=
Hope it helps!

Last edited by mauxiliar on Tue Sep 18, 2007 16:18; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
First off...I do NOT condone this. use a JTAG to fix a bricked router....damage to the unit can occur by shorting pins.

If you do damage...it isn't my fault...don't blame me if you turn it into a dumpster food.

Short pins 15 and 16 on the Flash chip...located under the corner of the radio card near the center of the board. This should bring it back to life.

Plug in your Ethernet cable into the LAN port...using the tftp.exe program install the Linksys firmware...then do a hard reset when it completes. After that...using the web GUI pointed to 192.168.1.1, install the dd-wrt mini version. Then do a hard reset again. After that you can update using the web gui to any version of dd-wrt you wish.

redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
First off...I do NOT condone this. use a JTAG to fix a bricked router....damage to the unit can occur by shorting pins.

First, thanks RedHawk for your ultra fast answer!
Second, u tell me that u recomend a JTag cable to fix my router instead of shorting pins but it doens't have where to plug a JTag cable!!!
The JTags I know r something like this:
http://www.electronicweb2001.com/tienda/catalog/catalog/images/jtag22.jpg
refering to the plugs... forget the card in the middle!
In one side u have the parallel plug and in the other the JTag plug like in the picture... but my WRT54G doen't have were to plug a JTag (it doen-t have any pin)... or it does and i'm missing it? or there is another way?
Thanks again! ill wait until someone tell me is my last resort to shortcircuit the reset pins...
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
At the very top of your first picture posted...there is a connector (no pins soldered in) and it is right next to the LED's in the middle of your Board. It has 2 rows of 6 holes (12 holes total) This is where a header gets soldered on and becomes the male side of the JTAG connector. I believe it is labeled J2 (I'm not near my V1 right now to verify the J number)

Anectine17 sells JTAG cables and headers. Send him a PM and tell him what you want.

redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
At the very top of your first picture posted...there is a connector (no pins soldered in) and it is right next to the LED's in the middle of your Board. It has 2 rows of 6 holes (12 holes total) This is where a header gets soldered on and becomes the male side of the JTAG connector. I believe it is labeled J2 (I'm not near my V1 right now to verify the J number)

Anectine17 sells JTAG cables and headers. Send him a PM and tell him what you want.

redhawk

RedHawk, at the moment i own you my life for saving my WRT54G from a possible total destruction!
I have a friend who will solder a male jtag to where you told me and im working on biulding an "Unbuffered Cable, Xilinx DLC5 Cable III" from http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Customizing/Hardware/JTAG_Cable . (By the way, is that the cable i need? right?)
With that i hope to be lucky and finally unbrick my Linksys once and 4 all!
Thanks again for your ultra fast answers and i'll post the finishing results for other idiots like me who bricket up their routers!
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes...this is the correct cable....make sure Pin 1 is set on the hole with the square pad. (as viewed from the under side.)

First, when you get the hairydairymade going...start by erasing the nvram.

then try to talk to the router again using ping/tftp. If you can talk to it...then upload the mini version of dd-wrt again. (it may even work from the web gui.)

If you can't get it to respond after clearing the nvram...then it will require some additional work.

but try clearing the nvram first...let us know if it doesn't work.

redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Yes...this is the correct cable....make sure Pin 1 is set on the hole with the square pad. (as viewed from the under side.)

First, when you get the hairydairymade going...start by erasing the nvram.

then try to talk to the router again using ping/tftp. If you can talk to it...then upload the mini version of dd-wrt again. (it may even work from the web gui.)

If you can't get it to respond after clearing the nvram...then it will require some additional work.

but try clearing the nvram first...let us know if it doesn't work.

redhawk

I hosted and image of witch will be pin 1 in the JP2 JTag connector in the router. ( http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2546/copiadedscf4064li6.jpg )
Tomorrow my friend 'll solder it and then ill try to post from the router! hehe.
Talk with u tomorrow! Hope im getting lucky! thanks again for all your comments! Im then doing a guide with all the pictures and everithing (if it works) for the next who wants to do a Jtag connector for this version!
See yah!
mauxiliar
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 23:36    Post subject: No luck yet! Reply with quote
Hello RedHawk! me again!
Just today I finished building the JTag cable...
When I ran HairyDairyMaid_WRT54G_Debrick_Utility_v48 with the command:

wrt54g -backup:cfe

for example (because the gide tells to do a backup before erasing anything...) it tells me:

"
C:\hairydairy>wrt54g.exe -backup:cfe

====================================
WRT54G/GS EJTAG Debrick Utility v4.8

Couldn't access giveio device
"

Why's this?

I followed every step on the gide... first connected the router with the computer with the cable (everything off to be ultracautius) then turned on the PC and then plugged the router and quickly hit the return key with the command written as i wrote...

I'd checked the cable so many times I now know how to build it by heart!

I'm working under Windows XP SP2, this has something to do? My parallel port works fine because my old printer still works... so...
I now don't know what to do!
Tell me if u have any ideas!
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have to move the giveio file to the correct directory

c:\windows\system32\drivers....then run the loaddrv.exe Install then and start the service.

Then run the wrt54g.exe program again.

redhawk

Clipboard01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.41 KB
 Viewed:  11242 Time(s)

Clipboard01.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:03    Post subject: So... how is the beast now? Reply with quote
Hi , I've just the same problem at the same moment ...

I have a wrt54g v1.0 and no ethernet leds are lighting exept with the jtag plugged, I can optain some lights of the "Full/Col" green led of the first port of the ethernet switch .

I tried to launch the hairydairymade utility but It stop at "clearing watchdog..."

then nothing... I'll tell you tomorow whats happened, and will be interressed by Redhawk opinion on my capricious baby !
mauxiliar
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:44    Post subject: Re: So... how is the beast now? Reply with quote
redfred wrote:
Hi , I've just the same problem at the same moment ...

I have a wrt54g v1.0 and no ethernet leds are lighting exept with the jtag plugged, I can optain some lights of the "Full/Col" green led of the first port of the ethernet switch .

I tried to launch the hairydairymade utility but It stop at "clearing watchdog..."

then nothing... I'll tell you tomorow whats happened, and will be interressed by Redhawk opinion on my capricious baby !

Oh men! u r worst than me! at least my ethernet lights work fine! I can even use my router as a 4 ports switch (not as bad as a paiper weight!) ... Smile I'm glad for not been the only who bricked his router in this way! hehe
I could start the drv service and wrt54g.exe but as it happens to you it stops in cleaning watchdog! I leaved it for about and hour and a half and then tried again but the same happened...

This is all it does:

"
C:\hairydairy>wrt54g.exe -backup:cfe

WRT54G/GS EJTAG Debrick Utility v4.8

Probing bus ... Done

Instruction Length set to 5

CPU Chip ID: 00000100011100010000000101111111 (0471017F)
*** Found a Broadcom BCM4702 Rev 1 CPU chip ***

- EJTAG IMPCODE ....... : 00000000100000000000100100001000 (00800908)
- EJTAG Version ....... : 1 or 2.0
- EJTAG DMA Support ... : Yes

Issuing Processor / Peripheral Reset ... Done
Enabling Memory Writes ... Done
Halting Processor ... <Processor Entered Debug Mode!> ... Done
Clearing Watchdog ...
"

I'll try wrt54g.exe with other parameters now but if someone know what's happening we'll appreciate the help! (I know RedHawk knows what is happening 4 sure! hehe, he knows everything!)
See yah!
mauxiliar
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:01    Post subject: Solved the Watchdog problem Reply with quote
Hehe, as I said... it was just a question of parameters...
The Clearing Watchdog problem is because the procesor is old (bcm47xx). 4 our version of processor u have to do this:
"
If you have difficulty with the older bcm47xx chips or when no CFE
is currently active/operational you may want to try both the
/noreset and /nobreak command line options together. Some bcm47xx
chips *may* always require both these options to function properly.
"
So the command line would be: wrt54g.exe -backup:cfe /noreset /nobreak
That worked 4 me!
Now I'll backup the other:
-backup:nvram
-backup:kernel
-backup:wholeflash
and make the nvram erase... and tell u whats up!
Wish me good luck!
mauxiliar
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:02    Post subject: It worked!!!!! its alive!!!!!!! Reply with quote
Yeeeeesssssssssss!!!!!! after spending lots of hours in this debricking process I have a little joy! my router is alive again!!!!!
I did what RedHawk told me, erase the nvram and then I just turned off the router and turned on and the ping to 192.168.1.1 started working!! I entered the web interface and downgraded to the version I was using (Firmware: DD-WRT v24 Beta (04/16/07) mini) because if i power off and on for the 2nd time it bricked again!
Now I'll try version 24RC3 that was just release... but first I 'll backup everithing again now that is working!!!
I'll tell tomorrow if RC3 worked because it's 1:00 am and the backup process takes aprox 20 mins for 4mbs! very slow as the tutorial said!
Then I'll post a tutorial for WRT54G v1 for using JTag cable and all the tricks it has!!!
Thanks a lot redhawk... without u I would have probably burn out my router to a paper weight! tell me if there is something i could do 4 u!
See yah!
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use the parameters of

/nocwd /noewm /noreset

in my wrt54g.exe command line.

Otherwise, like you said, it freezes at clearing watchdog timer.
nocwd = no clear watchdog

Another way around this....at least it worked for me in the past...if it freezes...unplug the unit and plug it back in with the wrt54g.exe command line still running.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
I use the parameters of

/nocwd /noewm /noreset

in my wrt54g.exe command line.

Otherwise, like you said, it freezes at clearing watchdog timer.
nocwd = no clear watchdog

Another way around this....at least it worked for me in the past...if it freezes...unplug the unit and plug it back in with the wrt54g.exe command line still running.

redhawk

Good data! I'll put it in the tutorial i'm writing too!
Thanks redhawk 4 all!
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: