Linksys WRT54 Gv8/GSv7 flashing instructions

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 77, 78, 79  Next
ninjamaster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
i figured this was posted "Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:51 pm" not even 12 hours ago and i got a wrt54g v8 to fry... i used the web gui to flash the "killer" that went fine... then i unpluged it, burned a twig, then pluged it back in. i used the tftp utility that was linked since i was too lazy to type out the file path. :note: that i had manualy configured the ip address dns and gateway because i figured the dhcp would be DOWN at this time.

it said sucessfully uploaded firmware. i put in the firefox addy bar 192.168.1.1 and NOTHING i started FREAKING thinking i killed it... i hit reload about 10 seconds after that and was amazed at the configurability of this software.

the serial code on my router is cdff and it was gotten at wally world this summer like a month ago...

im not actualy on the wifi router right now because i believe it is confused with being 192.168.1.1, and its wan gateway being 192.168.1.1(linky befsr41 router.) (ive had problems with this before!) when i got the router out of the box it worked on the network so i didnt mess with it again untill today.

that other linky routers connected to yet another router, my dial on demand freesco router. im rockin 3 routers, and im on DIALUP. Twisted Evil

the firmware apparently works, im getting stable pings to the wifi linky, but im gonna have to fix the configuration due to my crazy network to get wifi going again. i might update tomaro after i get a good nights rest and am ready to fight with the network.

edit: to say that i did not have to press the reset button at all during my instilation, and i honestly doubt that i had to unplug it.

100_1018.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.75 KB
 Viewed:  42397 Time(s)

100_1018.jpg

Sponsor
sigmaxix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I've tried reflashing the firmware several times, I've rebooted the device, and I followed the directions that appeared earlier to try to flash my firmware again. I've got nothing. Confused

Also of interest is that the power light flashes on and off intermittently, it's really slow (10-15 seconds), and not very regular.

Any thoughts (please?)

No offense, but has anybody had this happen with the WRT54GSv7?

Moreover, has anybody else had a chance to try the new update with WRT54GSv7?

My installs seemed to go rather smooth, and both have been working for over 12 hours straight with all the custom settings. Although, my WRT54GSv7's were both from the same shipping pallet. Just wondering...

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I actually have a slightly different problem;

I have a Linksys WRT54G v8, and have followed the instructions to a "T". However my problem is not wether or not it works, which it does quite well. My primary PC is in the back room of my house and so it's wireless, so I had to bring the router in here to hardwire for flashing and setup so that when I put it back in the living room it will work wirelessly, then I can finish the rest of the setup. The problem is this;

Everytime I remove the power-cord it resets everything back to default, and the base wireless setup won't function either. I scan for it, but it isn't detected, even with the router sitting in here next to my pc. Since then I've reset it to default, and re-flashed the RC3 firmware again through the interface, but still, when I remove the power-cable for more than 30secs it kills all my settings.

Any ideas?
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
alot of ideas. but the most common issue is that there are 2 models of the WRT54Gv8 around as it seems. one with a samsung flash (working) and one of a EON flash (makes troubles with save settings). we are currently trying to solve this, but no one of us has this EON device. i just know that it exists

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you using the "Save" button or the "Apply" button. The nvram settings don't get committed to the flash until the "Apply" button is pressed.

redhawk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
having it being that these devices are now supported, what are the final specs for the ram and flash size's
krupx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
srelysian, i got the same loop problem

you dont need reflash if you perform rapid power cycle.

im waiting for the fix too.
srelysian
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
alot of ideas. but the most common issue is that there are 2 models of the WRT54Gv8 around as it seems. one with a samsung flash (working) and one of a EON flash (makes troubles with save settings). we are currently trying to solve this, but no one of us has this EON device. i just know that it exists

At current I've tried all the usual ways to reset the nvram, etc. Also, I noticed that after applying any new settings and unplugging to test if they are committed, the router goes into this sort of power cycle. The power LED will go on and off repeatedly, and the telnet/weblogin will fail completely until I unplug/replug once or twice. Then it works but everything is completely reset.

is there any way to test to see if I have this "EON flash"? Also, if there's any help I can provide, I will if I can, seeing as how it seems I might have one of those.

redhawk0 wrote:
Are you using the "Save" button or the "Apply" button. The nvram settings don't get committed to the flash until the "Apply" button is pressed.

I've even tried pressing save more than once before I apply, to make sure it commits. Still no go.
krupx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
open your case and watch eon chip :D

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/104935/ETC/EN29LV160AT-70TCP.html

mine is en29lv160at-70tcp
srelysian
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
krupx wrote:
open your case and watch eon chip :D

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/104935/ETC/EN29LV160AT-70TCP.html

mine is en29lv160at-70tcp

Here's a pic of the inside, I had trouble getting the cam to take a decent pic without blurring but there's 3 chips here.. one is obvious "Broadcom", however there are 2 more; 1 being a samsung chip (to the right of the broadcom chip), the other being I believe that EON (above the broadcom chip).

wrt58gv8inside.jpg
 Description:
Pic
 Filesize:  221.39 KB
 Viewed:  42272 Time(s)

wrt58gv8inside.jpg

krupx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
samsung is the ram and eon is the flash chip ,top left you can seen jtag 12 holes
sigmaxix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
srelysian wrote:
I actually have a slightly different problem;...
Everytime I remove the power-cord it resets everything back to default, and the base wireless setup won't function either. I scan for it, but it isn't detected, even with the router sitting in here next to my pc. Since then I've reset it to default, and re-flashed the RC3 firmware again through the interface, but still, when I remove the power-cable for more than 30secs it kills all my settings.

The WRT54GSv7's seem to have this same problem, too. I guess this is the issue I was having last night when I wasn't able to access WLAN.

HOWEVER, it's ONLY the WLAN functionality that seems to disappear after unplugging the router.
Just restoring my backed-up NVRAM happens to work. It somehow re-enables WLAN. No reset needed.

The WRT54GSv7 has the SAMSUNG K8D1716UBC chip , revision K8D1716UBC-PI07.
http://www.alldatasheet.co.kr/datasheet-pdf/pdf_kor/SAMSUNG/K8D1716UBC.html

I think this is a new bug that happened to emerge with support for these new devices.

Last edited by sigmaxix on Fri Sep 14, 2007 15:14; edited 1 time in total
srelysian
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, well, here's my next question... is there a possibility this will be resolved sometime today, or is there a way I can re-flash to the original firmware until this is resolved. I wanted to play Call of Duty 4 beta tonight and the router I am using as a backup (crappy netgear) has messed up ports that like to fail constantly so only the wireless works. Which means, I can't go on xbox live (since it needs to be hard-wired).

I understand these things take time, I am not bitching or anything, but being able to atleast temporarily restore it to factory firmware until the problem is resolved would be grand.
krupx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
brainslayer say

"please test this only if you're experienced with jtag since this has just been tested on one unit yet "
srelysian
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
krupx wrote:
brainslayer say

"please test this only if you're experienced with jtag since this has just been tested on one unit yet "

Well I know that now, yes, but originally when I started it, I had only seen the release news on the main site. From there I went directly to download and retrieved all needed files and followed the text file instructions. Neither of which mentioned there being more than one type of Ver8.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 77, 78, 79  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 79
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: