Linksys WRT54 Gv8/GSv7 flashing instructions

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 77, 78, 79  Next
TheSlickWizard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a wrt54g v8 and I believe it has the EON chip. I'm willing to experiment and learn. my wrt54g v8 is not my primary router in fact I'm not even using it at the moment just happened across one.

just a refresher I am having this problem

predated wrote:
First of all, thanks for all the hard work you put into this, I appreciate it.

Now, I downloaded vxworkskillerv8.bin and dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8.bin, then I followed these instructions to the T:

Quote:
How To Flash the WRT54G v8 / WRT54GS v7

01. configure your local lan ethernet address to 192.168.1.100 and connect your local
ethernet to your WRT54Gv8/GSv7 on one of the 4 switch ports
02. plugoff the power cord from the WRT54G v8/GSv7
03. push the reset button while replugin the power cord and hold the button for about 20
seconds
04. open your browser and open http://192.168.1.1
05. use the firware upgrade dialog to flash vxworkskillerGv8.bin / vxworkskillerGSv7.bin
06. after the dialog is shown that you need to plugoff the power cord, remove the power
cord and replug it in
07. wait for about 1 - 2 minutes
08. plugoff the power cord again and replug it in.
09. enter "tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8.bin" on your local windows
console and press enter
(for linux, tftp 192.168.1.1; mode octet;put dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8.bin)
10. the file will now be transfered to your router and be flashed. after this is done,
dd-wrt will automaticly boot and you can reach your router at http://192.168.1.1

What I have right now is a router that responds to pings, but not http requests. In addition, it doesn't reliably respond to pings. I issued ping -t 192.168.1.1 and here is a sample of the output (notice the TTL values and how they change)

Quote:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=100
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=100
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=100
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
Request timed out.

I've tried reflashing the firmware several times and I've rebooted the device.

Also of interest is that the power light flashes on and off intermittently, it's really slow (10-15 seconds), and not very regular.

Any thoughts (please?)

Last edited by TheSlickWizard on Fri Sep 14, 2007 15:55; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
sigmaxix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
srelysian wrote:
Well I know that now, yes, but originally when I started it, I had only seen the release news on the main site. From there I went directly to download and retrieved all needed files and followed the text file instructions. Neither of which mentioned there being more than one type of Ver8.

I don't get it - your router is still routing, as long as you're not unplugging it, right?

Where is the problem where this MUST be fixed immediately/today?

This is a beta release, and there are bound to be problems. If you wanted a stable pack, you should wait until v24 is complete, and these issues have time to be troubleshot.

For now, there is a possibility you can log into your DD-WRT router and go to Firmware Upgrade tab, and try to upgrade using the LINKSYS firmware flash from the Linksys website. BUT, this is a beta, so there is no guarantee this will work. I upgraded my WRT54GSv7's that are specifically NOT on non-mission-critical systems, because this is a beta, and bugs exist.

[I don't get the emergency -- I have the COD4 Beta, and I haven't come across a need to unplug my router every few minutes...]

Last edited by sigmaxix on Fri Sep 14, 2007 15:54; edited 1 time in total
TheSlickWizard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think what his problem is is that he had an older router that only works intermittenly for xbox live and this new one worked fine for xbox live but now it's not working for him so he has to use his old router which dosn't play nice with xbox live and he is desperate to get on the COD4 which brings us to the point why did you test this on your router if it was so important?
srelysian
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's not mission critical, I mean, I can just hook my cable-modem directly to my 360. I just can't use the router currently. As I stated in.. I believe one of my first posts.. (which is the reason I found out it wasn't saving in the first place) .. is that my pc here is wireless. I can't setup the router to function because when I do, I still need to move it into the livingroom, which means I have to unplug it, which means my settings are gone.

I think tonight I will just hook it up directly for now, it's really not that big-a-deal. Just means my PC will be out-of-commission till` it all gets sorted. I don't think I will try to re-flash with linksys` stock firmware though, atleast right now it works (sort of). Don't want to chance linksys` wanky firmware bricking my router entirely.
sigmaxix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm..

It may work that you could try plugging your router in where it needs to go, and use your wireless laptop to interface with it. Then, through the wireless connection, initially set up the stuff through the GUI.

I just cannot recall if the Wireless GUI access is off or on for default.

BUT, I think just 30-second reset should get your WLAN back up... it's worth a try, that'll just lose your current settings... [you can even save NVRAM through the gui, and then restore it from your laptop].

You may also be able to take the network cable you have from you desktop PC that you are using to configure the WRT, and just take your laptop to where your router is supposed to go, and plug your laptop in to set the settings correctly.

Just some suggestions.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
sigmaxix wrote:
Hmm..

It may work that you could try plugging your router in where it needs to go, and use your wireless laptop to interface with it. Then, through the wireless connection, initially set up the stuff through the GUI.

I just cannot recall if the Wireless GUI access is off or on for default.

BUT, I think just 30-second reset should get your WLAN back up... it's worth a try, that'll just lose your current settings... [you can even save NVRAM through the gui, and then restore it from your laptop].

You may also be able to take the network cable you have from you desktop PC that you are using to configure the WRT, and just take your laptop to where your router is supposed to go, and plug your laptop in to set the settings correctly.

Just some suggestions.

I did one better, I called a buddy of mine who's been borrowing my old wrt54gv2. Told him I needed it back for a while, he only uses wireless anyway so I told him he could take my wanky netgear router (which only functions properly wirelessly). He's dropping it off within the hour, so everything is good. Thanks for the ideas though, but my half-functioning router is no longer an issue and I can just wait for a fix Smile
ThunderBolt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Excellent Job BS and Tornado!

People here in Brasil were waiting anxiously for this day.
Be sure that here we will find both types of Flash chips. So at this point only those with samsung flash chips are supported.

Another thing: Is there a possibility of a V23 SP3 version for those routers? Since V24 is much heavier then V23 SP3, I think V23 would be more apropriate for those low memory devices.

Thank you!

Einjeher
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I bought a WRT54G v8.0 router yesterday and i did the tutorials that BrainSlayer post up.

But i have still the same problem... The settings are not saved in the flash memory... i hope you guys will find the solution soon

Thanks... I'm just posting to tell you that i have the EON Chip so i can test any version for you Wink
ninjamaster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
my activity lights for the wireless flash constantly but noone is displayed as connected, and its sending out packets that error. i will try to unplug the router since its been plugged in since i installed the firmware to see if it drops the firmware. i configured the ip address for the lan to 192.168.2.1 and everything worked properly at that moment (lost the problems with the gateway being 192.168.1.1 and lan being 192.168.1.1.) i turned on wpa2 and also turned up the voltage or what ever on the wireless to 125...

ok unplugged, burned a twig... plugged, and my ddwrt firmware loaded up and all of my settings are still the same. wpa passwords the same, yep everything went fine for me and the beta is working properly for me... if you want me to crack my router open to report the chips just shout at me, and give me hints as to how to rip it apart with out totaly screwing it up.

edit: as a side effect of the reboot the wireless led quit constantly blinking, and it appears to be performing better than before. ill post another update after using the wireless for if the led starts constantly flashing again, or if it works totally flawlessly after the reboot.
aeluric
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Further on the WRT54G with EON chip: If you push the WRT54Gv8_v8.00.2_fw.bin image back on, the pings are consistent and TTL=100. All other functionality remains disabled (no HTTP, WLAN, etc.).
ninjamaster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
well, the honeymoon is OVER! holy wowzerz bugzilla city! the wireless totally went down. i unplugged and replugged and no luck. i pressed the reset, and held it untill the ip switched back to 192.168.1.1.... back to packet storm city! i try to change the ip back to 192.168.2.1 on the lan side, but it goes to the "apply" page and freezes, i have to go back into the router config page, and none of my settings are being saved. im trying to just get the internet info from dhcp from the other linky on the wan port... by the way im using home made cross overs to link these. im not looking for help at the moment, im going to fight it again tomaro. it ran very well all day today untill unplugging the power, witch at that point the wireless stoped broadcasting, and then problems started snowballing.

i think the software is interesting, but im thinking of going back to the linksys firmware (if i can) because it worked OK out of the box and i didnt have to fight so many config screens.
srelysian
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
aeluric wrote:
Further on the WRT54G with EON chip: If you push the WRT54Gv8_v8.00.2_fw.bin image back on, the pings are consistent and TTL=100. All other functionality remains disabled (no HTTP, WLAN, etc.).

How do you mean? Nothing else works?
predated
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
He means you can't reach the config pages through a browser, and you can't telnet/SSH into the router.

I went out and bought a buffalo today, and I'm also about 200 miles away from my Linksys router, but when I get home sunday I'll yank it apart and see if it's an EON. Or I can ship it out to a Dev if they want to tinker with an EON chipped Linksys.
krkaiser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I flashed my WRT54Gv8 and but it isn't working right.

I set my ip and gateway manually to tftp to the router. I've never used tftp before, but I read the upload takes about 10 minutes. Mine is taking 6-7 seconds (the message shows the whole file size as uploaded though), is this bad? After the upload (I've done this a couple times), I let the router sit for a while, at least 30 minutes, and then tried to connect to it.

I can ping it just fine with absolutely no timeouts and get back this:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=100

I can't however reach it with http. The wireless connection (ssid: dd-wrt) will pop up every once and a while, but I can't connect to it. I put my ip and dns back to automatic and that takes away my ability to ping and gives me the ip of 169.254.186.100 and no gateway.

What can I do to get a correctly functioning router?

Thanks for any help.
nofear_102
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I too am in the same boat as others. I followed the instructions in the first post and initially it worked (I could connect via http). Shortly after though I could no longer connect via http (for some reason - I may have in advertantly changed something - it stopped responding). I have tried to flash dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8 again (this takes 10 seconds or less) and get a message indicating the flash was succuessful. Problem is, I still cann't connect via http but pining does work. Now, I didn't see anyone else mention the next issue I am currently experiencing. Before the last flash, I wasn't able to connect at all. My computer would detect the network connection, port 1 would light up on the router with WAN, and power would go on/off every few seconds. I tried one more flash which has now enabled me to ping, but the WAN / Power lights no longer go on. Its strange since the router looks dead with no net cable connected, but plug in to a port and it lights up (the only light)....

I have tried holding "reset" to no avail.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 77, 78, 79  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 79
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: