Serial flash help - bricked ea6900

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ghostivv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:23    Post subject: Serial flash help - bricked ea6900 Reply with quote
Finally managed to brick EA6900. Ping is fine on TTL=100 but tftp failing with timeout error. Tried every trick posted here and decided to go with serial flash route. Opened the router and first relief is header pins are there so no need for soldering. Now problem is no labels on them so which pins are what?

Also I can't seems to find guide on commands for serial flash. Can any kind soul pls post either link or detail step by step for novice like me Smile. I've got both stock Linksys and initial ddwrt fw and not sure which is recommended.

Thanks
Sponsor
ghostivv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found the pin layout posted by BrainSlayer:
Quote:

v+, none, tx, none,rx,gnd

the white connector on the board

I connected the cables (layout looking from front of router) and no response. Later I swapped gnd and tx, powered on router and managed to see booting process. But CTL-C, ESC, SPACE, all these failed to halt booting.

routerboot1.jpg
 Description:
initial Boot
 Filesize:  177.99 KB
 Viewed:  431 Time(s)

routerboot1.jpg

ghostivv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
anything not normal?

routerboot2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  114.36 KB
 Viewed:  427 Time(s)

routerboot2.jpg

notorious.dds
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check your serial adapter and the wire connections. The adapter should be of the 3.3V variety. Also, in my experience, not all adapters are created equal. I had this experience with a modified CA-42 cable and was never able to stop the boot process. Upon switching to a CP2102 Breakout adapter, everything worked as desired.
ghostivv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
SUCCESS!!! Mr. Green and currently custom CFE on xVortex.

I'd CP2102 which worked with other modem but decided to order PL2303HX variant from ebay. Only cost £2.33 and arrived in 2 days (UK mainland). There's a driver issue on Windows 8.1 and need 1.2.10. Once setup and putty output, followed DDWRT serial recovery wiki with linksys tftp application.

-ctheader was an invalid switch. Typed "help flash" (without quotes) to confirm and other options which was -noheader.

Anyway it was good and big relief to see command output "LINKSYS" and login page Smile. One more thing, I also had to manually put gateway (192.168.1.1) to initially access setup page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: