JTag debricking guide for WRT54G

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
moreins
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
hello
well, i just fixed it... Very Happy
it was a matter of changing the pc...the coumputer at home (a dell dimension 8300) didnt flash the CFE correctly...
today, i used a desktop at the college lab and flashed the unit very easily.
i used tjtagv3 rc1 and used the following command:

Code:
tjtagv3RC-3.0.bin -flash:cfe128 /noreset /fc:06

procedure took around 6 minutes! Very Happy. after that, a ethernet link was available and i tftp'd the micro build.

i dunno why this version of tjtag didnt recognize my flash chip. tornado, you might wanna take a look at that. (my flash is EON EN29LV160A TopB)

so, in conclusion, changing the pc fixed it for me...

thanks to redhawk0 for the 128 cfe!

Sponsor
Shawn360
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
moreins wrote:
hello
well, i just fixed it... Very Happy
it was a matter of changing the pc...the coumputer at home (a dell dimension 8300) didnt flash the CFE correctly...
today, i used a desktop at the college lab and flashed the unit very easily.
i used tjtagv3 rc1 and used the following command:

Code:
tjtagv3RC-3.0.bin -flash:cfe128 /noreset /fc:06

procedure took around 6 minutes! Very Happy. after that, a ethernet link was available and i tftp'd the micro build.

i dunno why this version of tjtag didnt recognize my flash chip. tornado, you might wanna take a look at that. (my flash is EON EN29LV160A TopB)

so, in conclusion, changing the pc fixed it for me...

thanks to redhawk0 for the 128 cfe!
You may want to inform Tornado PM http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=123166#123166 I doubt he's reading this that way he can add support for it.
Stalin828
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was running DD-WRT just fine for months. Then one day I reset my router and the 4 LAN and 1 internet LEDs just stayed on solid and there is no response.

So, I am trying to unbrick it using this method, however I can't get it to work. I built my JTAG cable exactly as described in the PDF. I have checked and double checked and triple checked it.

I have the WRT54G v8.
Code:

==============================================
 EJTAG Debrick Utility v3.0 RC1 Tornado-MOD
==============================================

Probing bus ... Done

Instruction Length set to 5

CPU Chip ID: 11111111111111111111111111111111 (FFFFFFFF)
*** Unknown or NO CPU Chip ID Detected ***

*** Possible Causes:
    1) Device is not Connected.
    2) Device is not Powered On.
    3) Improper JTAG Cable.
    4) Unrecognized CPU Chip ID.

If I try and run the same command (tjtagRC3 -backup:cfe /noreset /nobreak) without it powered CPU Chip ID is returned as all 0s. So it is getting some signal to the PC.

One problem it might be, is I wasn't sure what resistors to use. I went into RadioShack and got 100 Ohm resistors. However, they had 1 watt, 1/2 watt, or 1/4 watt resistors. I went with 1/2 watt because the actual resistor was the same color as what was shown in the PDF, the 1 watt was silver. I don't know enough about electronics to know what I am doing in that regard.
moreins
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
it doesnt matter if you get 1/2 W or 1/4 W resistors...as long as they are 100ohm...
are you running the command with router powered OFF??? if so, give it a try just after powering on and see what happens

Stalin828
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I ran it right after I plugged in the power cord. The lights turn on instantly and I hit enter within like 5 seconds of it getting powered on. It doesn't matter how long after it has been powered on, whenever I enter the command while it has power I get the return posted above.

I think it might just be nuked. It didn't brick while I was trying to flash it. It was working great with DD-WRT running on it for months, then one day it locked up and I reset it, only to see the LED lights go solid on.
LLB
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Make sure you don't have the cable on the header backwards. Make sure pin 12 is not connected. What router is this? Make sure there is no sources of electrical interference, such as an LCD monitor nearby. Make sure your cable is short, about 6 inches.

If you can't get it to work, you might be best to start a new thread on this.
mouseandcat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:02    Post subject: from the dead.... Reply with quote
bricked router:
wrt54g v8

wonder if there was anything new i should be aware of? waiting for the parts for my jtag cable.....trying to resurrect the router from the dead (perpetual management mode screen no matter what i do to it!)
reb00tas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 21:31    Post subject: R.I.P my wrt54g or not Reply with quote
Last day my wrt54g v 3.1 died. I found some tools and used Jtag to return it to life Very Happy
I got the pins from my RPi. I soldered them to the board. and 4 x 100 ohm resisters. About 45 min and the router was back to live.

But anyway its soon time to an upgrade. I got 500/500 Mbit full duplex connection. And I only get about 15 Mbit with this router. (I use it as) repeater. So its fine for internet access.
[/img]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 3
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: