Wireless Secured...NOT!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
MikolU
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 15:50    Post subject: Wireless Secured...NOT! Reply with quote
Re: WRT54gL v1.1
Firmware: dd-wrt.v24-12548_NEWD_std.bin

I have this router setup with wireless and wired, and one port setup as vlan on a separate subnet. I thought everything was fine until I recently brought in a friend's win7 laptop to work on. In checking the wireless connections available, I saw that my wireless network is listed as unsecured. So, I tried connecting to it from this friends laptop and it allowed me to connect without any password.

I believe all settings are correct, and I have very strong password and very strong share key using WPA2 (as per the attached image).

Any ideas as to why the wireless is still unsecured?

Thank you,
Mikol

Wireless Security.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.99 KB
 Viewed:  5963 Time(s)

Wireless Security.JPG

Sponsor
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should upgrade your firmware version. That one is very out of date. Try checking the "Peacock" thread (see signature) for more information.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
MikolU
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I don't know what to think. This router has been running for weeks on these settings. I tried resetting the router today and no changes...wireless still showed unsecured.

On a whim, In Wireless Security, I clicked 'Apply' and then 'Save', and lo and behold, my wireless network is now secured!

I'm as certain as can be that I clicked Apply and Save when I set it all up, but really, the question is:

Why would the setting be present if I hadn't applied them? And if I'm correct in my recollection of applying and saving at setup (weeks ago), why wasn't the network secured in these last weeks??
MikolU
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
crashfly wrote:
You should upgrade your firmware version. That one is very out of date. Try checking the "Peacock" thread (see signature) for more information.

Thanks for that. I'm new to all of this...which one might be best (the ones marked red?)?

dd-wrt builds.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.45 KB
 Viewed:  5932 Time(s)

dd-wrt builds.JPG

barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
MikolU wrote:
Well, I don't know what to think. This router has been running for weeks on these settings. I tried resetting the router today and no changes...wireless still showed unsecured.

On a whim, In Wireless Security, I clicked 'Apply' and then 'Save', and lo and behold, my wireless network is now secured!

I'm as certain as can be that I clicked Apply and Save when I set it all up, but really, the question is:

Why would the setting be present if I hadn't applied them? And if I'm correct in my recollection of applying and saving at setup (weeks ago), why wasn't the network secured in these last weeks??

Clicking "save" does just that, it saves the parameter to nvram but nothing else.

Clicking "apply" invokes that parameter. Depending on what you change, when you "apply", it may reboot the router. Typically "applying" radio parameters will not reboot the router. If you watch syslog output, it will stop and restart the radio interface.

So.. Save, then apply or you can just make the change and click on apply, it will do both, save the parameter and apply the setting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:

Clicking "save" does just that, it saves the parameter to nvram but nothing else.

Thank you. That clears that up.
MikolU
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
crashfly wrote:

I just noticed there are later builds than the screenshot I posted...the latest seems to be:

v24 PReSP2-beta-Build 14896_2010-08-09:

dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin

Is there any reason to go with the standard over the mini in my case?

Thanks for your patience. I intend to get up to speed with all of this but haven't had the time to thoroughly research.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read the peacock announcement.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
mini is used for initial flashing. std is for routers with dd-wrt already installed.

you can use mini if you want, but i say go for 14896 std.

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
HardReset
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gameman Advanced Kid wrote:
mini is used for initial flashing. std is for routers with dd-wrt already installed.

that is so very wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
HardReset wrote:
Gameman Advanced Kid wrote:

that is so very wrong.

did you see my ninja edit?

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: