I need help with my DD WRT Control Panel Settings!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Da G33k
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:22    Post subject: I need help with my DD WRT Control Panel Settings!!!! Reply with quote
Okay here is the story. I am very new to DDWRT as I recently got the DDWRT firmware installed on my linksys router. I need it to do two things, and i don't have a clue what to put for the settings. My main computer router is upstairs, and my new DDWRT router is downstairs. The signal isn't that great, so I would like to boost the signal by making it a repeater. Also downstairs, is my Xbox. I would also like to make the router be able to connect to xbox live by plugging in a ethernet cable into one of the ports. If one of you smart people could help me, that would be great!
Sponsor
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Serch wiki for client or client-bridge mode.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I assume you need to connect the 2 routers as wireless....if you can run a cable things will be much faster...but...if you can't.....

Check the wiki for WLAN_Repeater. This will set up one unit as a repeater to talk to the other.

Just keep in mind that you get only half the bandwidth when using repeater mode....so the max you would really get is 27Mbit as opposed to 54Mbit (It will display that you are connected 54Mbit...but don't be fooled.)

You would just plug your XBox into a LAN port of the repeater and it would repeat the signal to the main router.

Any questions...just ask.

redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe this is what Eko was refering to. This will also work in your case and not limit your BW.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode_Wireless

redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
you can also read on the sticky topic about client bridge mode
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=68

28 GL+DD-WRT v23 SP3 Std
13 WRT300N v.1 v24 06-20-07
2 GL/SP1/200 mW+Hyperlink 24 db >> 16 km Point to Point
Da G33k
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 22:34    Post subject: Success! Reply with quote
Success!!! I have gotten it to repeat my wireless signal. I am very pleased with DD WRT. I still have one more question though. Do I still need to keep an Ethernet cord connected to the computer for my repeater to work? Or can I unplug it, move my router to my xbox, and plug an Ethernet cord into that? Will it still repeat my wireless signal? Thanks!
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
No computer necessary....move the unit plug in the Xbox.

Did you set it up as a repeater or a client bridge?

Ether way...you can talk to it from your main router. On the Administration panel set it up for Web GUI management and leave the default port at 8080 (or anything you will remember)

Then from the main AP unit....you can get to the repeater using the IP that the main AP give to the repeater plus the port number....exa....192.168.1.101:8080 if 192.168.1.101 is the address the main AP gave the repeater.

This way you can administrate the repeater remotely....if you set it up as a client bridge...no need to set up the web GUI management and you can talk to it using the same method above except omit the port number....use just the IP address.

redhawk

Navigation

Jump to: